Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs sniffing deals

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago). .
    I thought Lyon broke his leg at Whitten Oval in the last game of the year when we were both going for 5th spot to make the finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell I guess. I would not condemn him on one incident as there are many more examples like:

When Darcy went down at Telstra Dome as it was and went off on a stretcher.
    I thought he did his knee then came back to the bench 15 minutes later doing short sprints.
    Came back on the ground shortly after and played out the game without any discomfort.

The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago).
    Veszpremi is a left footer, something we have a shortage of, I am willing to give him a chance if he comes to us.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was his leg. TFS play it all the time...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was his leg. TFS play it all the time...
    Yes, I think that is the one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Doesn't always pan out like that. Sometimes all a player needs is a second opportunity, different training regime, different players, different game plan etc...

There have been heaps over the years who have made the most of a second chance, just look at David Rodan.
    Yes, I accept that.

He's a small forward (181 cm). He has been overtaken by the likes of Gary Rohan and Trent Dennis-Lane....so you would think we might not be getting top shelf. I would say it is a gamble given his past, but that is not to say he couldn't be successful at our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Yes, I accept that.

He's a small forward (181 cm). He has been overtaken by the likes of Gary Rohan and Trent Dennis-Lane....so you would think we might not be getting top shelf. I would say it is a gamble given his past, but that is not to say he couldn't be successful at our club.
    He's not super quick but based on what I have seen when he was a junior he really commanded the ball and attacked it. Times might have changed but I think we should look at him. I question if he has a tank that could be used in the midfield.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would take him in a heartbeat and over most of the names that have been bandied around. He is very much a pure football with clean skills and can play as either a small forward or outside mid. Was a first rounder a few years back and a change of scenery could see him flourish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Please NO!!!

Have a look at the 2008 final when he went down and CRIED after losing a contest with Tiller.

SoftPremi - Margarine Boy - Not hard enough for butter

Makes Jordy McMahon look tough
    When was the last time you saw him play?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    When was the last time you saw him play?

Did see him on TV in a game last year and he was again weak at the contest.

He is apparently injured a lot, without any major issue. That is another sign of someone who cannot play sore.

Every players gets sore but most just play through the relatively minor problems.

Post Thanks / Like

13) Patrick Veszpremi

What went right
    It might surprise a lot of people given all the talk about his fitness and health issues, that Veszpremi only missed 3 reserves games this year. One was due to his appearance was in the seniors, and the other 2 was due to being on standby as a non-playing emergency. Veszpremi was named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year and was the top Swan votegetter in the AFL Canberra B&F which highlights the strong season he had at reserves level. His one senior game for the year, as a late replacement for Shaw, was quite productive. Playing as a lead up forward, Veszpremi had 14 touches and took 9 marks but more significantly, only spent 62% time on ground.

Where he can improve
    His aerobic fitness, or rather his lack of it, has been mentioned more than once as the key reason for his non-selection. Our head of recruiting Kinnear Beatson recently said that Veszpremi had groin adductor issues and well as a suspicion of osteitis pubis (since ruled out) during the pre-season which left him on the back foot preparation-wise. On the field, he seems to have lost the explosiveness which so wowed the crowds in his debut year. He lacked the jumping power in going for marking contests, and lost the quick acceleration off the mark that were hallmarks of Veszpremi's explosive game. As a result, a lot of the moves he tried didn't come off and left him looking very frustrated at times. He could also learn to be more of a team player and play the percentages more often, instead of trying to be the hero and opting for glory.

2011 outlook
    Heavily linked to other clubs even before trade week has begun. The Swans are well-known to love a trade or three, but to get deals done they will need more than picks 21 and 37 they currently own. Veszpremi probably has the most trade currency of the fringe Swans, but being contracted for next year means that the Swans won't let him go for a pittance. If he does stay as a Swan, a solid pre-season program will be essential to getting off to the right start in the Longmire era. I do believe that there are spots in the forward line up for grabs and if he can get his body right, Veszpremi could claim one of them.

P.S could mean nothing its copied from a low level forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick Veszpremi 2009 2010
    Games 4 1
    Kicks 6.3 11.0
    Handballs 2.8 3.0
    Possessions 9.0 14.0
    Disposal Efficiency (%) 61.0 64.0
    Contested Marks 0.8 1.0
    Marks 3.5 9.0
    Contested Possessions 3.8 4.0
    Uncontested Possessions 5.0 10.0
    Inside 50s 2.3 2.0
    Clearances 0.3 0.0
    Clangers 1.3 1.0
    Tackles 2.0 1.0
    Frees For 0.0 1.0
    Frees Against 0.5 0.0
    Goals 0.8 0.0
    Behinds 0.8 0.0
    Assists 0.8 1.0
    Time on Ground (%) 64.0 62.0
    2009 Reserves Stats (out of 18 possible games)
    6 games
    11 goals
    Named in the best list twice for a total of 5 votes (equal 1st overall)

2010 Reserves Stats (out of 22 possible games)
    19 games
    27 goals (3rd at the Swans)
    Named in the best 9 times for a total of 29 votes (5th overall)
    Named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year on the interchange
    8 Mulrooney Medal votes (1st at the Swans)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    13) Patrick Veszpremi

What went right
    It might surprise a lot of people given all the talk about his fitness and health issues, that Veszpremi only missed 3 reserves games this year. One was due to his appearance was in the seniors, and the other 2 was due to being on standby as a non-playing emergency. Veszpremi was named in the AFL Canberra Team of the Year and was the top Swan votegetter in the AFL Canberra B&F which highlights the strong season he had at reserves level. His one senior game for the year, as a late replacement for Shaw, was quite productive. Playing as a lead up forward, Veszpremi had 14 touches and took 9 marks but more significantly, only spent 62% time on ground.

Where he can improve
    His aerobic fitness, or rather his lack of it, has been mentioned more than once as the key reason for his non-selection. Our head of recruiting Kinnear Beatson recently said that Veszpremi had groin adductor issues and well as a suspicion of osteitis pubis (since ruled out) during the pre-season which left him on the back foot preparation-wise. On the field, he seems to have lost the explosiveness which so wowed the crowds in his debut year. He lacked the jumping power in going for marking contests, and lost the quick acceleration off the mark that were hallmarks of Veszpremi's explosive game. As a result, a lot of the moves he tried didn't come off and left him looking very frustrated at times. He could also learn to be more of a team player and play the percentages more often, instead of trying to be the hero and opting for glory.

2011 outlook
    Heavily linked to other clubs even before trade week has begun. The Swans are well-known to love a trade or three, but to get deals done they will need more than picks 21 and 37 they currently own. Veszpremi probably has the most trade currency of the fringe Swans, but being contracted for next year means that the Swans won't let him go for a pittance. If he does stay as a Swan, a solid pre-season program will be essential to getting off to the right start in the Longmire era. I do believe that there are spots in the forward line up for grabs and if he can get his body right, Veszpremi could claim one of them.

P.S could mean nothing its copied from a low level forum.
    Wow change the name and that could be Shaun Higgins!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure on this one, he has talent to burn but apparently has attitude problems.

I'd consider a direct swap for Hill, that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    I'm not sure on this one, he has talent to burn but apparently has attitude problems.

I'd consider a direct swap for Hill, that's about it.
    On what both players have achieved thus far, that is too much to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

On what both players have achieved thus far, that is too much to pay.
    Yes I know it is, but from my understanding Sydney don't want to let him go unless it's for something they like. I'm sure they would rather keep him if they only got like pick 60 from us.

He's got plenty of talent, just lacks fitness and conditioning (yet to do a full pre season but apparently attitude is a problem as well). We all know what happened with Grant after he got his attitude right and had a big pre season.