Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bound for the Kennel

MITCHELL Wallis and Tom Liberatore have spent their lives dreaming about today.
    That when the Western Bulldogs submit their father-son nominations, their names will be on them.

On Tuesday, it will be confirmed that the two sons of Bulldogs greats, Steve Wallis and Tony Liberatore, will next season join forces in the Dogs' midfield.

For two teenagers, their football partnership is as close as they come. They have played footy together almost every winter weekend for the past 10 years, resulting in a deep understanding, already, of how each other plays.

"Sometimes I don't even have to call for it and Libba has already handballed to me," Wallis said from the AFL draft camp in Canberra.

"It's a sixth sense that we sort of have. I remember playing footy with him in the hallway at home, when we were eight years old. I can't imagine how many times he's handed the ball to me."

For draft picks 22 and 41, the Dogs will net two gun midfielders. Two players who otherwise would have certainly been selected in the first round.

Wallis, captain of the Vic Metro under-18 team and Morrish medallist, averaged 29 possessions for Calder Cannons this year and his co-pilot, Liberatore, 24 touches.

"Forget the Gold Coast. That's the steal of the draft," one recruiter said yesterday.

For the past 18 months, the best mates have enjoyed regular time at Whitten Oval, preparing their bodies and minds for the AFL. But their hearts already bleed red, white and blue.

"All our lives we've barracked for the Bulldogs and watched our fathers play," Wallis said.

"I'd stay at his house on a Friday night and he would stay at mine on a Saturday night and we would take stats while watching the game.

"If I end up there, I will push for success, because I love the club that much and I can't wait to see it go through a period where we are successful.

I have had that passion inside me for so long."

Liberatore, like his dad, is an inside player and clearance king.

"Every time you go to a centre bounce you are confident he can win it," Wallis said of his mate.

"You can premeditate a lot of your moves because you can back him in so heavily to win the ball."

Liberatore, a neat left-footer, has watched the Dogs' past three losing preliminary finals, feeling more shattered with each one.

"The last one I was sitting there in my room watching it and it was devastating," Liberatore said.

They both want to have an impact on the senior side next season. "That's an ambition, to play senior footy next year," Wallis said. "But a lot of things have to fall into place."
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-app...-1225932004276
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bound for the Kennel

This is what l like to hear

"Forget the Gold Coast. That's the steal of the draft," one recruiter said yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post

That bit made me smile too, it's makes up for Harbrow ditching us.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    "If I end up there, I will push for success, because I love the club that much and I can't wait to see it go through a period where we are successful.

I have had that passion inside me for so long."
    It's not if Mitch, it's when.

Sounds like a very driven individual, he will be a great acquistion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quoted again for the simple joy of it
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Love the sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I little tear came to my eye reading this article.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved reading this. Good to see we have a left footer coming through.

Post Thanks / Like

M

Wallis, captain of the Vic Metro under-18 team and Morrish medallist,
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-app...-1225932004276
    Mitch did not win the Morrish Medal this year - confirmed this morning by a very very reliable source. Did he win it last year???? My understanding is that Dyson Heppell and Jackson Sketcher shared the medal this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops meant to post this here:

Originally Posted by mighty_west
    Steve used to have a seat next to us on level 2 a few years back, he is a great Footscray man and a favourite of most of us Doggies fanatics, it is no wonder why his kid is rated so highly.
    Firstly he's rated highly for his ability - this is just the icing on a very exciting cake. I'm rapt that Wally and Libba (hehe) will be playing next year. I've no doubt they will train the house down in preseason and be pushing for selection in 2011. According to yesterday's article they've been around the club for 18 months already and are already bleeding red white and blue. Fingers crossed for a thrilling step into a new era.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Geelong built a mini-dynasty on the back of a few F-S steals, I look forward to seeing if the same could happen here, especially with every other list devastated by GC/GWS list-rape, those two superclubs to take a few years to establish themselves, and us with a core of youngsters coming up alongside some established and finals-hardened senior players (our list is in much better shape than say a Melbourne, Richmond or North, all whose young lists have been talked up). A window closes, another window opens.

Post Thanks / Like

About time we had some luck, this is so exciting, can't wait to see the boys in action.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phantomdog View Post
    Mitch did not win the Morrish Medal this year - confirmed this morning by a very very reliable source. Did he win it last year???? My understanding is that Dyson Heppell and Jackson Sketcher shared the medal this year.
    They must have been thinking of his medal for BOG in the GF
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Im so so so excited about these new kids!
    Its a fairytale really, isnt it?
    Played all their junior footy together, barracking for the same team, best mates, and they are being drafted to the team they have barracked for their whole lives.
    And its great to see that they are proud and passionate about the Red White and Blue.
    Fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't take the grin of my face.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.