Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Puopolo appears on Dogs' radar

THE Western Bulldogs might have found a ready-made replacement for Gold Coast-bound Jarrod Harbrow in 22-year-old Norwood defender Paul Puopolo.
    But whether the Bulldogs want a like-for-like swap for Harbrow remains unknown.

Puopolo is one of the SANFL's most attractive mature-age draft prospects. The attacking defender had an outstanding finals series and was the Redlegs' best with 20 possessions in front of 35,000 fans in Sunday's Grand Final loss to Central District.

He breaks the lines off half-back and his core strength makes him almost impossible to tackle.

Western Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said Puopolo - who made his league debut in 2007 - was among a group of mature-age players clubs would look at.

``Clubs have made a habit of identifying half a dozen or more mature players, those who have been in the system for three to four years, and he's (Puopolo) done enough to suggest he'd be in that category,'' Fantasia said.

Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple said there were ``positive signs'' from Puopolo but he was not completely sold on him.

``From my watching, his run and carry from the backlines is one of his strengths,'' Dalrymple said.

``But by no means is he over the line. There are parts of his game that need work, as does most of the draft pool.

``There are positive signs but you take into account his age and footy background, and that of plenty of others to work out where we position them.''

Dalrymple said the Bulldogs would assess their list after trade week to determine the type of player to target in the draft.

``We'll see how we're off for small to medium defenders.

``We've got some emerging defenders Christian Howard and Easton Wood . . . and there are plenty of clubs who don't have small defenders on their list and get away with it.'' Puopolo has also caught the eye of the Power this season according to football manager Peter Rohde.

``He's one of a bunch of players we've watched,'' he said.

``I'm not going to identify who we have a special interest in or not.

``No doubt like a lot of clubs we're looking at the state leagues closely because of the compromised drafts this year and next.''

Last year the Power un-earthed 20-year-old Cameron Hitchcock and Richmond drafted 21-year-old Ben Nason from the SANFL.

They combined for 36 games in their debut AFL season.

Similar in size to the 175cm Puopolo, both made an instant impact with their pace. Norwood coach Nathan Bassett said he was aware of AFL interest in his dashing defender.

``I don't know what will happen there but well done to Pauly if he gets drafted, if not we love him because his contested footy is great,'' Bassett said.

``I thought he was important when he came on to the footy in the last 15 minutes of the match (Grand Final) and gave us a chance.

``We're all into furthering people's careers and getting the most out of themselves as footballers.''

Puopolo has played 68 SANFL games and 2010 was by far his most consistent season after shedding 6kg over summer

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225933996240
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puopolo appears on Dogs' radar

He could be the droid we're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to someone who played against this guy in the SANFL on Sunday (and a Dogs supporter)

Does not rate him at all.

Does rate Jack Oatey Medallist Ian Callinan as someone who could do a Michael Barlow next season somewhere.
    Don't imagine he fits into the Dogs requirements though, would be another Boyd, Cross, Ward type

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Groenewagon View Post
    Spoke to someone who played against this guy in the SANFL on Sunday (and a Dogs supporter)

Does not rate him at all.

Does rate Jack Oatey Medallist Ian Callinan as someone who could do a Michael Barlow next season somewhere.
    Don't imagine he fits into the Dogs requirements though, would be another Boyd, Cross, Ward type
    Callinan is not like them. He is small like Harbrow and light and is a quick highly skilled player who is 27 and according to Nathan Bassett (Coach of Norwood) and many others, the best player in the comp.

Was it one of the Gowans you spoke with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Callinan is not like them. He is small like Harbrow and light and is a quick highly skilled player who is 27 and according to Nathan Bassett (Coach of Norwood) and many others, the best player in the comp.

Callinan racked up 24 possesions and kicked four goals in the GF and would certainly be Centrals best player and one of the best in the comp. The big question will be is 27 too old? It wasn't for Podsiadly but I think KPP could be a little different and in the same vain we took a 32 year old Hall but there is no way we would take a 32 year old midfielder.

But I say we take both Puopolo and Callinan just to be sure

Post Thanks / Like

Callinan has intensity and precision disposal, but given his age and the fact he will most likely be a fringe player I would probably pass, just not sure where he would fit in to the dogs. Puopolo looked to run rings around players and looked faster than anyone out there. Given his age he looks like a guy with potential, probably worth a shot for a forward/back pocket/midfield rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a quick scan of my photos, here's two of him that aren't very good (in the Norwood colours), probably have more if i look further.

(#10 is Matt Bode who isnt very tall)

Post Thanks / Like

Why does the Adelaide media pump up their locals continuously and say things like this (bulldogs radar)? There a lot of water to pass under bridge before we draft him.

Post Thanks / Like

These are better

# 21

NB is a very good player, if we are looking for a small defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Why does the Adelaide media pump up their locals continuously and say things like this (bulldogs radar)? There a lot of water to pass under bridge before we draft him.
    Because the crows are poo.

Oh, and there not gonna write a story about a potential VFL pleyer getting drafted to Essendon.

Only two AFL teams here, along with relatively strong interest in the SANFL (30,000 + at the GF) so they have to write something.

ANd presumably Puopolu's manager told the paper in an effort to get noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Norwood supporter, so I might be biased but thought Puopolo was quite good. Line-ball whether he is worth a punt but we need to take risks to improve our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post

You are 100% on the money.
    Their opinion is often prejudiced against guys they don't like personally, but they have a decent track record with rating SANFL players. Phil Davis is one that springs to mind they rated highly as an 18 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Their opinion is often prejudiced against guys they don't like personally,
    Neeever
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

You are 100% on the money.
    Their opinion is often prejudiced against guys they don't like personally, but they have a decent track record with rating SANFL players. Phil Davis is one that springs to mind they rated highly as an 18 year old.
    They are great blokes and never short of confidence. Their views on opposition players are nearly always along the lines of, "He is crap" and I reckon that comes from the way they play the game in that nobody represents a threat to them

I see they're going on next year. I wish they wouldn't. They have never been quick but now age has brought them back to almost slow. Chris was chasing Puopolo through the centre in the last quarter on Sunday and Puopolo put on three yards on him in what seemed like four steps.

Still good players in the Finals especially James but if they gave it away now they would go out on top. Another year and their reputations might be lessened.