Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman a Bulldog

I just posted my thoughtson the Dogs Day bit (didn't realise it was being discussed here already, sorry)

Was it really that bad? Wasn't like he said anything that wasn't out in the media already, or named names like that previous tool did with Leppitsch for example.

Completely agree that the focus should be on us moving forward.

I seem to remember Collingwood had a similar issue with Woewodin constantly banging on about how he was let go from Melbourne...at least initially he played decent for them, before the game inevitably caught up with him
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Haven't read the full version of the interview, just the quoted bits. Obviously the most controversial parts would end up in an atricle.
    Actually it does 'read' worse than it sounds when viewing the interview although having overdosed on Akermanis this season I would prefer that Justin plays down his crap experience at the Lions and limits it to internal motivation to move up into a higher gear.

Post Thanks / Like

His interview was far removed from the usual Bulldogs spiel. And it doesn't look like Brisbane have given him any media training whatsoever. I do like how he called every interviewer "mate", and that he "can continue to be a great player."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    It's in the past and he should be looking forward. I hope this is the first and last we hear of Justin talking about Brisbane. No need for pot shots.
    Hope he has had his say and and now its done with, we don't need to give the Lions any ammunition for the future.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Love his confidence and sense of belonging.

We need more of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Maaaaaaaaaate!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can feel some man love coming on.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He has the earrings the strut and the belief. Now all he needs is to put it all together on the ground!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Actually it does 'read' worse than it sounds when viewing the interview although having overdosed on Akermanis this season I would prefer that Justin plays down his crap experience at the Lions and limits it to internal motivation to move up into a higher gear.
    I agree with Doc26 as they were very ill considered comments and perhaps may explain why his form has been so up and down. By comparison Jared Brennan departure was far more favourable in terms of a professional approach, friendly and without malice unlike Sherman who displayed an unhealthy attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

An update from Sherman on the club website, sounds like he's been pulled up by the club-

Western Bulldogs recruit Justin Sherman said today he was disappointed with his comments at yesterday’s press conference.

Sherman spoke about his time at the Lions and has since been criticised for taking a parting shot at his former club.

By no means does Sherman believe his comments were taken out of context or that he was misquoted, but he does regret the impression they have given.

“I can understand how people have taken that view after what I said yesterday. I want to make it clear though that this is by no means a reflection of how I feel about my time at the Brisbane Lions. I will always be grateful to the Lions for giving me the opportunity to play AFL football and I left the club with many fond memories. I was really keen to express my excitement about joining the Bulldogs yesterday and that probably lead me to saying certain things that are not a true reflection of my thoughts. I apologise if I have caused any offence to anyone at my former club and want to make it clear that the last thing I wanted to do was criticise an organisation that has given me so much.

“It was wrong of me to use the term ‘culture’ because that is not what I meant to refer to. I was trying to say that certain off field distractions had been tough to deal with but these issues were not representative of the Lions as a whole. I have the highest respect for Michael Voss and everything he has achieved. I am only young and clearly still have a lot to learn both on and off the field, I just hope that this clears up the issue. I am very excited to start the pre season with the Bulldogs and I hope people will see that the impression I gave is not a true reflection of what I am about,” Sherman said

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...8/default.aspx
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Nice move Shermanator.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the words of Fantasia to me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sounds like the words of Fantasia to me.
    Who is responsible for media relations down at the Club ? Being a formal Club press conference wouldn't or shouldn't the Club have briefed Justin first on where to focus his comments or to have had someone alongside him to keep it balanced ? I'm not at all saying we have a systematic breakdown but it does appear another example of unprofessional handling of how we plan and execute our engagement with the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Who is responsible for media relations down at the Club ? Being a formal Club press conference wouldn't or shouldn't the Club have briefed Justin first on where to focus his comments or to have had someone alongside him ? I'm not at all saying we have a systematic breakdown but it does appear another example of unprofessional handling of how we plan and execute our engagement with the media.
    I'd say we did, but being a young guy, and probably a mixture of nervous and excited he probably got carried away and deviated from the agreed approach. It sounds like from this latest release, he's saying "yes I said that, but I didn't mean to say it"
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'd say we did, but being a young guy, and probably a mixture of nervous and excited he probably got carried away and deviated from the agreed approach. It sounds like from this latest release, he's saying "yes I said that, but I didn't mean to say it"
    It's not a criticism of Justin but can't help but feel the Club has been somewhat negligent in not foreseeing such a situation with a young and enthusiastic recruit who no doubt needs some media training. In isolation this case will mean little but without there being appropriate attention with the necessary checks and balances in the way we present to the media it can give the appearance of being an unprofessional outfit.