Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldoze The Debt

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    There's a big difference between being wary about something and being negative towards it. It appears as if you've confused the two, or think I've confused the two (I haven't).

Look, it seems I need to be more direct on this for you: it's a great idea and I'm all for it. I will happily hand over what I can to contribute. I'm concerned about the ramifications of us coming up short and not entirely clearing the debt, paying more interest and getting in strife again.

That's it. End.
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you suggesting the interest repayments would put us back in (more) debt?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever wished they didn't start a thread?!!!

Can't predict the future so you have to do what you can right now. If we wipe off 3 million it will be better than sitting on our hands. I can also see the other side of the coin regarding the debt creeping back up however if you worry about all the what ifs nothing gets done. The interest on 2 million would be a lot easier to manage than 5 million.

Great idea to start a Woof pledge!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you suggesting the interest repayments would put us back in (more) debt?
    I'm suggesting that it's a possibility. It's something that would have to be considered (there are a lot of factors that require consideration of course), but giving the compounding nature of interest, if we don't look to knock off any residual principal quickly, then it could rack up again pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    Has anyone ever wished they didn't start a thread?!!!

Can't predict the future so you have to do what you can right now. If we wipe off 3 million it will be better than sitting on our hands. I can also see the other side of the coin regarding the debt creeping back up however if you worry about all the what ifs nothing gets done. The interest on 2 million would be a lot easier to manage than 5 million.

Great idea to start a Woof pledge!
    Not sure why you'd think that. This is a forum, you asked people's thoughts. You got them. People don't always agree, and people often come at things from different angles, as it's clear that Topdog and I have. No problem with that, I respect his opinion and would hope that he does mine, regardless of our differences of it.

It's a current topic of our club, worth discussing and a worthy thread. They're not all going to be roses and kisses.

I agree with everything you said after the part I've bolded.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it will work to be honest. We're traditionally a less well off supporter base, and I'm not sure we'll be able to pony up the money.

But my biggest concern is this: what if we only manage to raise say three million? That'd leave us two million still in the hole, and it would only be a few years before the interest on that two million would swallow all the funds we'd managed to raise.

That would make the plan a spectacular failure. And with the taste of that still hanging around, how could the club come back to us, the members and supporters, and ask for more again?

I like the idea, I hope it works but I'm wary of the ramifications if it doesn't.
    DFA, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not quite sure what your alternative to this is ? Are you just wary but endorse the campaign ? Are you suggesting we should all just give up our Club because you see the likelihood of dissolving greater than the opportunity (or ROI) of continuing the struggle ? Or to leave it up to the likes of Cam and his Team to 'hopefully' just find a way ?

Hopefully we will have new funding streams to service the debt and chip further into any remaining principal. Maybe the AFL will further recognise the struggle and raft of inequities posed on Clubs like ours and look to increase the equalisation distribution as increased funds come into the game through media rights and new licenses. Or worst case maybe another Victorian based Club e.g North might fold before we do reducing our competition and subsequently increasing our competitive position.

All I'm saying is that it is an ever changing landscape and surely it's better to continue the fight for something you love, that is, stay in the game together, than to give up because the problems might appear insurmountable.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm suggesting that it's a possibility. It's something that would have to be considered (there are a lot of factors that require consideration of course), but giving the compounding nature of interest, if we don't look to knock off any residual principal quickly, then it could rack up again pretty quick.

Not sure why you'd think that. This is a forum, you asked people's thoughts. You got them. People don't always agree, and people often come at things from different angles, as it's clear that Topdog and I have. No problem with that, I respect his opinion and would hope that he does mine, regardless of our differences of it.

It's a current topic of our club, worth discussing and a worthy thread. They're not all going to be roses and kisses.

I agree with everything you said after the part I've bolded.
    All good Mate, I was just joking when I said I wish I hadn't started the thread! I'm definitely always up for healthy debate.

Cheers
    Hobdog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can we all put in $50 and present a WOOF Debt reduction.

We need a seperate thread with a sticky and a pledege from all. WE could easily raise a few thousand.
    I'd some extra shifts to put towards this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    I'd some extra shifts to put towards this.
    I've virtually given up the booze so I have more disposable income to put towards it!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol @ the start of this thread.

Maybe it's an interest only debt. Any money raised will be put on the principle, thus reducing overall interest payments.

The effort can't possibly be a bad thing. Any bad debt reduction is good financial management.

Does anyone have any idea whether this has much to do with Matheson pissing our pokies licences off? Tipping it does.

WD to Rose & co anyway. Got to make the hard decisions and start somewhere.

I'll be giving a couple of dollars

Post Thanks / Like

This year we had 35,000 (ish) members ... next year if every member paid $10 that would be $350,000 ... if we did this every month of the year next year it would be $4,200,000.

Now, if we can get non-members to contribute this amount as well, we would be well and truly in the black to start 2012.

This is without corporate support ... without selling our soul ... and without having to dig too deep.

Isn't this the best option??

$10 a month would not be easy for me, but i would be willing to go without to ensure that my club has a viable future ... How about you?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    This year we had 35,000 (ish) members ... next year if every member paid $10 that would be $350,000 ... if we did this every month of the year next year it would be $4,200,000.

Now, if we can get non-members to contribute this amount as well, we would be well and truly in the black to start 2012.

This is without corporate support ... without selling our soul ... and without having to dig too deep.

Isn't this the best option??

$10 a month would not be easy for me, but i would be willing to go without to ensure that my club has a viable future ... How about you?
    Most on this board probably would be prepared to, but you have to realise we're your die hard supporters. A lot of the 35,000 members are only part-time followers, bought a memebership this year because we looked a chance to win the premiership, or in the case of a few I know, were given memberships for signing up for Vic Uni gym. The club struggles to get a lot of our supporters to put their hand in the pocket just for a basic 11 game membership, asking for more than that will fall on deaf ears by the majority IMO.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Most on this board probably would be prepared to, but you have to realise we're your die hard supporters. A lot of the 35,000 members are only part-time followers, bought a memebership this year because we looked a chance to win the premiership, or in the case of a few I know, were given memberships for signing up for Vic Uni gym. The club struggles to get a lot of our supporters to put their hand in the pocket just for a basic 11 game membership, asking for more than that will fall on deaf ears by the majority IMO.
    You may be right, but I applaud the idea and will give as much as I can and still stay married!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would disagree with this statement ... I think a lot of our members are dyed-in-the-wool Bulldog supporters, with the minority having gained theirs second-hand or as a door prize (for want of better words) ... yes our members are fickle and don't buy memberships every year, but you get this at every club.

If you only ask your hard core supporters to put their hands in their pockets, this venture is sure to fail ... we have to reach our fringe supporters and the best place to start is with our 35,000 members.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I would disagree with this statement ... I think a lot of our members are dyed-in-the-wool Bulldog supporters, with the minority having gained theirs second-hand or as a door prize (for want of better words) ... yes our members are fickle and don't buy memberships every year, but you get this at every club.

If you only ask your hard core supporters to put their hands in their pockets, this venture is sure to fail ... we have to reach our fringe supporters and the best place to start is with our 35,000 members.
    They may well be dyed-in-the-wool, but the overiding view is they do enough by simply buying a membership. I'm not saying don't ask them, I just think you might be dissapointed by the number who won't contribute.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

And those who were members whose details we have so we can call them and ask directly

Post Thanks / Like

They may well be dyed-in-the-wool, but the overiding view is they do enough by simply buying a membership. I'm not saying don't ask them, I just think you might be dissapointed by the number who won't contribute.
    Whilst I respect your view, I prefer to take the 'glass half full' approach.
    WOOF Member 422