Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Clayton

Post Thanks / Like

Scott Clayton

I know he is hugely popular with the Dogs supporters but should Scott Clayton be under some sort of pressure for the way a number of our draftees just have quite measured up?
    I also know the power of hindsight is a tremendous advantage but really I'm not sure that he has done as well as what his public and media reputation would indicate.
    The likes of McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Wight and Wells really just haven't measured up and while I know injuries can be an inhibitor, other clubs seem to have done a bit more with a bit less.

So is he doing the right job ? Is it about time he was placed under a bit of scrutiny ?
    We keep drafting for the future which seems to be the right philosophy but surely there should be a bit more light at the end of the tunnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Golden! View Post
    The likes of McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Wight and Wells really just haven't measured up and while I know injuries can be an inhibitor, other clubs seem to have done a bit more with a bit less.
    McMahon is not in good form, but if he was at Collingwood they'd be hailing him as a messiah. "100m in under 11 seconds!"

Power hasn't come on as much as we would have liked, but he has all the attributes - ticker is always a hard one to judge.

Walsh has been injured too often to offer a serious assessment on.

I Still think Wight has a future at the Bulldogs - 2m tall and still young, with a massive motor. I will persist in supporting him.

Faulkner is disappointing, but by all accounts it is attitude again and not talent.

Wells - simply a bad call by Clayton.

Personally I think his bad calls have been more than compensated by his good, ie Gilbee, Hargrave, Cross & Harris late, Boyd & Morris as rookies on a limited rookie budget, Harbrow as a rookie making big inroads for such a young player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    McMahon is not in good form, but if he was at Collingwood they'd be hailing him as a messiah. "100m in under 11 seconds!"

Power hasn't come on as much as we would have liked, but he has all the attributes - ticker is always a hard one to judge.

Walsh has been injured too often to offer a serious assessment on.

I Still think Wight has a future at the Bulldogs - 2m tall and still young, with a massive motor. I will persist in supporting him.

Faulkner is disappointing, but by all accounts it is attitude again and not talent.

Wells - simply a bad call by Clayton.

Personally I think his bad calls have been more than compensated by his good, ie Gilbee, Hargrave, Cross & Harris late, Boyd & Morris as rookies on a limited rookie budget, Harbrow as a rookie making big inroads for such a young player.
    What attributes does Power have that gives you hope? For me is gone, he really has made no position his own in his 5 or so years in the system. For supposedly someone who was drafted due to his kicking ability he can't hit a target over 30m and makes poor decisions with the ball.

Wight was drafted very late, for him to be still on our list is a bonus and I still think he can be a pretty good player. He still needs to fill out a fair bit, but he has shown a good signs already.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not an easy job being the recruiter, not jealous of the job Clayton has to do at all. I think he's done pretty well, especially recently. I'd like to see us employ someone whose sole responsibility is list management though, a few clubs seem to be doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add too, next season I'd like us to take a more 'ready made' approach so we can see some quick improvements in the list, not too many players who won't be able to impact in their first year. Quite a few clubs have done this this year, and it seems to be paying dividends for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to wonder whether our strategy of picking up so many skilful but light bodied aboriginal players at the last draft was wise - maybe a couple of less skilful big bodied players would be more useful to us in the long term. (Please note this post is about body size, not race)
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think as of next year we'll start seeing the dividends of those picks and I'm not at all worried about them - I think they'll add a lot to our team. But this years draft, more ready made players imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder whether our strategy of picking up so many skilful but light bodied aboriginal players at the last draft was wise - maybe a couple of less skilful big bodied players would be more useful to us in the long term. (Please note this post is about body size, not race)

That's easily fixed, your post next time will read like this

I'm beginning to wonder whether our strategy of picking up so many skilful but light bodied players at the last draft was wise - maybe a couple of less skilful big bodied players would be more useful to us in the long term
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that I question with Clayton is more around his late selections. I think he tends to sell them to the supporters as 'this player would have gone top 20 next year' but in the end they rarely develop that way. Skipper is one for an example and while O'Shea looks OK based on what I have seen I think a top 30 selection this year would have been beyond him.
    Claytons done OK with the likes of Boyd, Morris and now Harbrow off the rookie list so I wonder why so many late selections don't progress.
    I tend to agree with M#23 that we need some stronger body types this year to balance the project players and speedsters we drafted last year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I tend to agree with M#23 that we need some stronger body types this year to balance the project players and speedsters we drafted last year.
    I think we have enough developing run and carry on the list (Ray, Higgins, Addison, Stack, Hill, Lynch, Harbrow, Hughes etc) and we need some players with a harder edge - genuine footballers rather than athletes first.

Clearly we could use some big brutes with the width of a Firrito, Riccuito, Chapman, McLean. We need a couple more nuggety types.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The thing that I question with Clayton is more around his late selections. I think he tends to sell them to the supporters as 'this player would have gone top 20 next year' but in the end they rarely develop that way. Skipper is one for an example and while O'Shea looks OK based on what I have seen I think a top 30 selection this year would have been beyond him.
    Claytons done OK with the likes of Boyd, Morris and now Harbrow off the rookie list so I wonder why so many late selections don't progress.
    In regards to O'Shea, if he'd been playing consistent reserves football at say the SANFL this year getting in the bests as often as he has, he'd be getting looked at pretty hard imo - so his progress this year has been pleasing. Harbrow is arguably going to be the best and most talented of our rookies to make it thus far, which is pleasing too. Wight is another who we shouldn't discount as a bit of a wild card selection whose progress has been solid.

Post Thanks / Like

I;ve got high hopes for Wight. He's as tough as teak, usually thinks through things well and very competitive.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I;ve got high hopes for Wight. He's as tough as teak, usually thinks through things well and very competitive.
    I still think he's as unco as a baby giraffe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I still think he's as unco as a baby giraffe.
    I agree, but isn't that usually the case with 200cm players? I have high hopes for Wight and another couple of seasons and we will be singing his praises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, but isn't that usually the case with 200cm players? I have high hopes for Wight and another couple of seasons and we will be singing his praises.
    I likewise have high hopes for him, he just has to learn to make less howling mistakes

The boy clearly has ability but I wonder what position he is really suited to? He seems to me best at centre half back/rebounding defender BUT is he ever going to command a spot their in our starting 22?