Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Right culture' at Dogs

By Jennifer Witham
    11:00 AM Wed 13 Oct, 2010

Western Bulldogs recruit Justin Sherman believes he can become a consistent performer at his new club because of a solid culture and continuity with his role.

Sherman, 23, was traded to the Dogs on Monday after requesting a move to Whitten Oval from the Brisbane Lions.

He decided to pursue a future with the Melbourne-based club because he was tired of the inconsistency he felt he was being steered towards.

"Having good years and mediocre years, I could no longer live that sort of rollercoaster lifestyle," Sherman said after arriving in Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

"I wanted to make sure going ahead that I could continue to be a great footy player, and to be that I need to be in the right culture and get continuity of one position.

"To be a good player, you need to play in the one position and play it really well, and know your role each week, and I think here I'm going to be provided with that.

Click link for rest of the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Right culture' at Dogs

I find it interesting that this story has ran with the headline (or reference from say Super Footy & SEN Twitter accounts) as 'Sherman attacks Lions culture'

Sure, he made reference to a few things happening, but highlighting it as an 'attack' on the former club's a bit much...

Maybe I'm just naive
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Culture = Fev?

Post Thanks / Like

An update from Sherman on the club website, sounds like he's been pulled up by the club-

Western Bulldogs recruit Justin Sherman said today he was disappointed with his comments at yesterday’s press conference.

Sherman spoke about his time at the Lions and has since been criticised for taking a parting shot at his former club.

By no means does Sherman believe his comments were taken out of context or that he was misquoted, but he does regret the impression they have given.

“I can understand how people have taken that view after what I said yesterday. I want to make it clear though that this is by no means a reflection of how I feel about my time at the Brisbane Lions. I will always be grateful to the Lions for giving me the opportunity to play AFL football and I left the club with many fond memories. I was really keen to express my excitement about joining the Bulldogs yesterday and that probably lead me to saying certain things that are not a true reflection of my thoughts. I apologise if I have caused any offence to anyone at my former club and want to make it clear that the last thing I wanted to do was criticise an organisation that has given me so much.

“It was wrong of me to use the term ‘culture’ because that is not what I meant to refer to. I was trying to say that certain off field distractions had been tough to deal with but these issues were not representative of the Lions as a whole. I have the highest respect for Michael Voss and everything he has achieved. I am only young and clearly still have a lot to learn both on and off the field, I just hope that this clears up the issue. I am very excited to start the pre season with the Bulldogs and I hope people will see that the impression I gave is not a true reflection of what I am about,” Sherman said

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...8/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it didn't take long for us to drop the hammer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously the club feared another Aker daily onslaught on his old side!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Obviously the club feared another Aker daily onslaught on his old side!
    and Aker has already got stuck in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and Aker has already got stuck in.
    What a shock! Where?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good move, needed to be done and done quickly by both the club and Sherman to take the sting out of the issue - no matter how well-intentioned his comments were, he came across looking like a 'Sherman tanker'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Good move, needed to be done and done quickly by both the club and Sherman to take the sting out of the issue - no matter how well-intentioned his comments were, he came across looking like a 'Sherman tanker'.
    Agree with this. Shows the strength of our culture, really, to want to deal with this quickly and publicly -- Richmond didn't tell Jordy off for slagging us off, probably because Wallet privately agreed with him then, and they aren't really a template to follow in terms of culture.

What the Sherminator said was true, just unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Maybe Culture = Fev?
    Fev is like a computer virus, once entered into your system, you're doomed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Agree with this. Shows the strength of our culture, really, to want to deal with this quickly and publicly -- Richmond didn't tell Jordy off for slagging us off, probably because Wallet privately agreed with him then, and they aren't really a template to follow in terms of culture.

What the Sherminator said was true, just unnecessary.
    I agree for the most part with what you're saying, but I also bare in mind that we continually talk about how we're a club of "nice guys" who want to fly under the radar, then when the spot light is on us we're like deer in the headlights.

We don't want players opening slagging of their old clubs or the opposition, but I also don't want to see us crush the extroverted nature of some of our recruits because it's that type of personality that often embraces the big moments and flourishes. Something we've lacked with Boyd, Cross, Johnson, Gia etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We don't want players opening slagging of their old clubs or the opposition, but I also don't want to see us crush the extroverted nature of some of our recruits because it's that type of personality that often embraces the big moments and flourishes. Something we've lacked with Boyd, Cross, Johnson, Gia etc.
    I know where you're coming from, but notwithstanding the studded earrings and the cocky strut, I can't recall Sherman ever embracing the big moments in games against quality teams either (I do hope to see this in the future with us). Agree that it takes all sorts to make a football club, but I don't think that has anything to do with the retraction of Sherman's ill-considered comments from yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

I know where you're coming from, but notwithstanding the studded earrings and the cocky strut, I can't recall Sherman ever embracing the big moments in games against quality teams either (I do hope to see this in the future with us). Agree that it takes all sorts to make a football club, but I don't think that has anything to do with the retraction of Sherman's ill-considered comments from yesterday.
    I'm not saying it does, I just hope we weren't looking for the earliest opportunity to jump on something like this to make a statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    More poor media work from the club IMO, and they've just inflamed the situation. We are too submissive to public opinion, we have to support our players more on insubstantial comments like these. It's now the off-season and of course the media will look for every story they can, why support their exaggerations with an apology? Just ignore them.