Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5th Debutant this week

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I hope he does well but the difference between adding Tiller compared to Everitt is that Spida junior was in better form than what Tiller has displayed. I think there is a couple of guys ahead of him really so I'm a little surprised.
    Sometimes form warrants opportunity and sometimes opportunity creates form

I hope its a real boost for Tiller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Sometimes form warrants opportunity and sometimes opportunity creates form

I hope its a real boost for Tiller
    I agree and it's a good point but it doesn't reward the players in better form.
    McDougall for example went back to the magoos and performed well and then again the following week in the senior team. I'd have him slightly ahead of Tiller at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    "while Peter Street and Matthew Robbins could be axed."

??? Minson has hamstring tightness. How can we drop Street? (As terrible as he was last week and definately deserves it)

Darcy, Wight and maybe even McDougall or Skipper might be able to match the WC rucks and provide a bit of mobility. It's a risk granted but we might roll the dice with that option.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

All Tiller (or any other 'tall' forward) we play has to do is present hard and aggressively at the kicker. Then provide a strong second effort to keep the ball in the area whilst the cavalry arrives. It is actually not that hard to play in this manner - you just have to want to do it.

I actually think this kid is as much a chance of having a crack as anyone else we have tried - or anyone else we have on the list. Whilst I agree with GVGjr that Doogs is probably 'ahead' of Tiller at the moment, I dont think there is much chance that McDougall would play in this manner against his old team-mates.

Post Thanks / Like

McDougall for example went back to the magoos and performed well and then again the following week in the senior team. I'd have him slightly ahead of Tiller at the moment.
    Tiller was playing seconds and had better form there than McDougall. They were both promoted and Tiller had better form in the seniors as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    All Tiller (or any other 'tall' forward) we play has to do is present hard and aggressively at the kicker. Then provide a strong second effort to keep the ball in the area whilst the cavalry arrives. It is actually not that hard to play in this manner - you just have to want to do it.

I actually think this kid is as much a chance of having a crack as anyone else we have tried - or anyone else we have on the list. Whilst I agree with GVGjr that Doogs is probably 'ahead' of Tiller at the moment, I dont think there is much chance that McDougall would play in this manner against his old team-mates.
    According to Jason Misfud last Thursday night, the main thing that has been holding Tiller back is is lack of defensive pressure in the forward line! That was the reason they game him some games in the backline - to see if he would tackle and chase there.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Jason Misfud last Thursday night, the main thing that has been holding Tiller back is is lack of defensive pressure in the forward line! That was the reason they game him some games in the backline - to see if he would tackle and chase there.
    Well, the problem is SS that ALL of our tall forwards have the same issue - including one former skipper who spends a bit of time in the goalsquare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well, the problem is SS that ALL of our tall forwards have the same issue - including one former skipper who spends a bit of time in the goalsquare.
    Former skipper?

Do you mean Darcy, Grant or our current skipper?

Post Thanks / Like

Former skipper?

Do you mean Darcy, Grant or our current skipper?

It could only be Darcy
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

All of our forwards with the exception of Gia, Hahn, Harbrow and Aka struggle with respect to defensive pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you are saying and I wasn't advocating ignoring form when selecting - and it is important to promote guys who deserve it, and whose form warrants it, but sometimes when it comes to developing players you just have to back them, and give them a taste of the big league. Josh Hills form has been ok but you wouldn't say he has been banging down the door, but I think Eade is keen to provide him with an opportunity this year.

On McDougall - I think he was given a large opportunity all preseason and then the first two games of the year - and I dont think his form had set the world on fire to that stage. Eade seems to have a pretty good feel for who should be given an opportunity, and how they will respond. We should note that Harbrow and Lynch both had played VFL reserves football shortly before debuting at AFL level.

I just hope this opportunity helps spur Tiller on, and lights a Daniel Cross like drive in him.