Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 Wooden Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    Certainly would make many swoon,
    The AFL 2011 wooden spoon.
    If fate fairly takes the option to choose,
    Those grown to be known as 'the piss and poos.'

sublime!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The Lions my choice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Last will be West Coast.

Gold Coast will manage to cobble together a few wins because as long as their stars fire and everyone else just holds their own they will be good enough to beat some sides.

I'm really hoping Essendon is a disaster, but I think it will follow a similiar formline to Voss at Brisbane, with the first year being pretty solid and promising, before it all just turns to shit the following season.
    I think Essendon will do well with Hird and Thompson running the show. Mediocrity will not be accepted under those two in any circumstance whatsoever, and all players will be playing for their careers, from the best to the worst on the list.

We always underestimate Essendon. Everybody does. I'm tipping 8-12 as a finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I think Essendon will do well with Hird and Thompson running the show. Mediocrity will not be accepted under those two in any circumstance whatsoever, and all players will be playing for their careers, from the best to the worst on the list.

the jackboot apporoach eh? Can also backfire. They have some decent talls, but seem a bit weak in their midfield.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Why does everyone think this is so important? Do you think other coaches go around accepting mediocrity lightly? Does Voss seem like one who would? Did Tim Watson? Coaching has a lot less to do with extrinsic motivation these days as development, list management, gameplan cohesion, communication, and gameday tactics. Thomson would be well-versed in all of these, but will Hird listen? Will Thomson be happy to be second banana?

And all this is irrelevant if your list is crap -- you can't 'motivate' a list to outperform its own potential.. you can design a strategy that maximises their strengths and minimises their weaknesses (something Paul Roos did well), but their skill level will always be a limiting factor. Even Geelong was crap under Thomson for a while before Gablett turned it on and dragged the rest of the team with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Why does everyone think this is so important? Do you think other coaches go around accepting mediocrity lightly? Does Voss seem like one who would? Did Tim Watson?
    Agreed . Malcom Blight at St Kilda. That worked well didn't it?
    Last edited by GVGjr; 29-11-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: fixed quote error

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by way out west View Post
    The Lions my choice
    Agree, followed by GC.

Post Thanks / Like

Good players very rarely make good coaches.(IMO Hird will be OK)
    Its not a matter of accepting mediocrity , its a matter of putting the right wheels in motion to be able to change it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Good players very rarely make good coaches.(IMO Hird will be OK)
    Its not a matter of accepting mediocrity , its a matter of putting the right wheels in motion to be able to change it.
    Exactly.

Being told you're not performing without a system in place to help you perform can only lead to pressure and frustration, not better performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ageo View Post
    Agree, followed by GC.
    Same.

A dissapointing result for the AFL with the 2 Queensland teams last.

I think Brisbane are stuffed as long as Voss is in charge up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Same.

A dissapointing result for the AFL with the 2 Queensland teams last.

I think Brisbane are stuffed as long as Voss is in charge up there.
    And then after he's gone it will take them years to fix the place.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    And then after he's gone it will take them years to fix the place.
    Maybe the AFL will fast track it again, and merge them with a weak bankrupt Vic Team = The Brisbane Kangaroos.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.