Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarrod Harbrow in no fear of 'Scray spray

Mark Stevens
    November 21, 2010

JARROD Harbrow will not have to wait long to learn if Western Bulldogs fans are a forgiving lot.

Gold Coast is scheduled to play the Bulldogs in its second game next season and Harbrow needs no reminding.

"Yeah, Round 3 at Etihad. Pretty early, isn't it. I definitely had a look at that," he said this week.

In his first interview since walking out on the Dogs as one of the Suns' eight uncontracted recruits, Harbrow is confident the faithful on the Doug Hawkins wing will be understanding.

"I hope they're kind and I think they will be. I don't think I let them down at all this year," he said.

It is understood Harbrow committed to the Suns in the now infamous "window of opportunity" in October last year.

He denied he played the 2010 season knowing he was moving, but it has been a tactic all along for the Gold Coast to play a straight bat to any suggestions of signings in the "window".

Sources in recent weeks have indicated a deal was done 13 months ago, but Harbrow answered a firm, "No, no, no", when asked if he was on the move early.

"Obviously my management had a chat to the Gold Coast, but I was left out of it. I really wanted to concentrate on playing the year out with the Bulldogs and just wait to see what would happen from there," he said.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade was keen for an answer, promising to support the defender either way, but Harbrow remained silent despite the headlines.

"We didn't have a serious sit down or anything. He'd make jokes now and then, like all the players ... saying, how's the weather up there, and all that," he said.

"But there was no tension between us. It didn't change."

For a player who evades journalists bearing tape recorders with the same skill he steps around oncoming tacklers, Harbrow found the year of speculation challenging.

He was particularly peeved about reports he was heading to the Suns because of the massive pay rise on offer.

"It got blown out too much in the paper. It was definitely not about the money ... far from it," he said.

"These things happen all the time. Players move for all sorts of reasons and my reason was pretty legit, I thought I wanted to come back to Queensland to be closer to family and I wanted to be part of a new club."

But Harbrow is proud of the fact he did not allow the speculation to put him off his game.

"It didn't distract me, I don't think. Once you step on to the footy field there should be no distractions," he said.

"Once you're in the zone, there's no excuses really.

"I was pretty happy with my year.

"It went well, but I was disappointed to be knocked out in the preliminary final three years in a row."

Harbrow told Eade and his teammates of his departure in the days after the preliminary final loss to St Kilda.

"Rodney was definitely supportive. 'Rocket' has always been supportive of me," Harbrow said.

"The players were supportive. They know what's most important for themselves.

"Looking at my position, they thought going back to Queensland and being close to family was fair enough. They wished me all the best."

Harbrow has moved into a home in Mermaid Beach, south of Surfers Paradise, with his girlfriend Emma, who was based in Brisbane.

After enduring a long-distance relationship, moving closer to her and his parents in Cairns was a factor in Harbrow's decision.

He played out last season requiring pain-killers and had post-season surgery on his left shoulder.

"I had a crack in the bone and scar tissue," Harbrow said.

He is hopeful of being in full training with the Suns in two to three weeks, with the aim of pushing for a place in the team's midfield.

"I'd really like to get into the midfield," Harbrow said.

"I've had a couple of stints at the Bulldogs now and then. It was good to get a bit of freedom running around.

"There might be a few more opportunities and we'll see how it works out."

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrod Harbrow in no fear of 'Scray spray

I won't be booing the guy but if one of our players has a chance to lay a monster tackle on him I hope they deliver it with authority.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they're kind and I think they will be.
    I hope the crowd boo's you every time you go near the ball ... and if its not too much trouble, I hope you get the snot knocked out of you too

Me ??? Bitter ????? Nah
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Got to give him credit for the way he respects Rocket and his old team mates, rather than that McMahon idiot who went out with a passing shot at the club.

I am more disapponted him leaving for the fact that he has his head screwed on and has a great work ethic.

Post Thanks / Like

Really mixed feelings about Harbrow right now. It'll be weird to see a 'good' player at another team as I've only seen guys like McMahon and Ray leave since I've started following the club passionately. And they weren't great by the end of their time with us.

Post Thanks / Like

No hard feelings, too much for him to gain by going to where his GF & her family live.
    Bitterness is a bit immature IMO.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No hard feelings, too much for him to gain by going to where his GF & her family live.
    I don't blame him at all ... but I support the jumper, nothing else. This is footy.

Hope he gets crunched.

Post Thanks / Like

He would have been my favourite player, had he stayed.

He sold out, IMO, and it's becoming clear that he lied all year to avoid facing his teammates. He signed during the 'window'.

The fact that he was off to the GC, getting photos taken in their colours on the Monday and Tuesday directly after our prelim loss just doesn't sit right with me.

Not that he'll care with his big contract to help him sleep at night, but I'll be giving it to him whenever we play GC.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

He sold out, IMO, and it's becoming clear that he lied all year to avoid facing his teammates. He signed during the 'window'.

The fact that he was off to the GC, getting photos taken in their colours on the Monday and Tuesday directly after our prelim loss just doesn't sit right with me.

Not that he'll care with his big contract to help him sleep at night, but I'll be giving it to him whenever we play GC.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Agreed 100%
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Sad that he is going but he made the right decision for himself. Good luck Jarrod, unless you play us.

If I have any bitterness its towards the AFL for this whole shemozzle. By having this window before the season it puts all the players involved in a compromised position, not really a benefit to anyone. So who will it be this year? Really poor business if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still bemused by a lot of the attitudes towards Harbrow. I understand wanting him to get crunched, because he's part of the opposition. But booing him, saying that he'll use his big contract to help him sleep at night (his girlfriend won't play a part at all), I just don't see the point of it.

He's clearly returned to Queensland to be with his family and girlfriend. I don't want him to play well against us, and I don't want him to help GC become good. But I hope that he has a good season, and has a happier life living with his family and girlfriend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm still bemused by a lot of the attitudes towards Harbrow. I understand wanting him to get crunched, because he's part of the opposition. But booing him, saying that he'll use his big contract to help him sleep at night (his girlfriend won't play a part at all), I just don't see the point of it.

He's clearly returned to Queensland to be with his family and girlfriend. I don't want him to play well against us, and I don't want him to help GC become good. But I hope that he has a good season, and has a happier life living with his family and girlfriend.
    I think some (me included) believe he clearly went for the money. Him saying it had nothing to do with it, I just don't buy (pardon the pun). Yes, he has family and GF up there, but for him to say it was 'far from it', I don't believe he's being honest. At least Gablett came out and said that was part of it for him. As with Comrade, I think he knew early on he was going to go, I can't accept it was a recent decision.

So, good luck to him, he didn't want to be in our colours, all well and good. Can't wait to see who's the first Dog clean him up (fairly, of course )
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Good summation. I'm also hoping that the lure of Cavill Avenue proves to be too irresistable for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much how i see it.

Footy's different these days to what it used to be, plus the fact that he's young, going home to his family, plus the money thrown at him, blame the system, not that player in that aspect.

He is very likely to play in Premierships and being successful at the Gold Coast given his age and the perception out there that they could be a powerhouse with all these kids handed on a silver platter, so he wouldn't miss out there either, just have to wait a little longer.

That said, he is now opposition, and should be tackled HARD on every occasion like any player, that's a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    So, good luck to him, he didn't want to be in our colours, all well and good. Can't wait to see who's the first Dog clean him up (fairly, of course )
    Brian Lake, after giving it off when Harbrow calls for a handpass
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff