Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cats and Saints in 2011

Geelong will still probably have enough class to finish around 4th-6th but it's difficult to see them being able to compete with the top two - maybe three sides. They've got some talented youngsters in Duncan and Menzel, but the bulk of their list can only decline from this point forward. Ottens, Scarlett, Mooney, Ling, Corey, Pods, Enright etc. They still have a poor ruck division and nobody lethal up forward.

Saints are an interesting one as others have noted. Goddard, Riewoldt and Hayes are simply amazing players but can Hayes continue to play inspirational A grade footbal at 30+? The thing is, if one or two of their top 5-6 players drop off slightly, they'll drop a few places. They certainly won't improve - they may maintain, though. Jack Steven looks like a player but outside of him they haven't got much coming through the ranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Where will Collingwood be in 2011?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Cats 2nd
    St Kilda 4th

I think they will decline but I dont see who will improve enough to go past them. We will fumble our way into third, if thats something you can fumble...
    Cats 2nd?
    Isn't that an improvement?

What beer do you drink? I will also give you a slab if the cats finnish second.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the top 4 stay the same in content, if not composition?

Which club from outside this year's 4 can break in? Hawthorn? Freo? Sydney?

Which of the 4 can drop out? Geelong? Us?

It's hard to say how St.Kilda or the Cats will go without taking into account where the other teams are at. It's also hard to see much change from this year -- while tables used to fluctuate dramatically from year to year, these past two seasons have been astonishingly consistent, apart from Freo's emergence, and some Melbourne spark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Will the top 4 stay the same in content, if not composition?

Which club from outside this year's 4 can break in? Hawthorn? Freo? Sydney?

Which of the 4 can drop out? Geelong? Us?

It's hard to say how St.Kilda or the Cats will go without taking into account where the other teams are at. It's also hard to see much change from this year -- while tables used to fluctuate dramatically from year to year, these past two seasons have been astonishingly consistent, apart from Freo's emergence, and some Melbourne spark.
    Cats are in trouble IMO. Saints, Pies, Bulldogs, Freo top 4. Melbourne & Richmond to push for finals.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Both gone for mine, The cats will be around 6th this year and the saints just scrap in the 8. IMO top 4 will be Pies, Dogs, Freo, Swans (Skinny will make the difference this year)
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    If Cats finish 2nd Marcov, i'll buy you a slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Cats 2nd?
    Isn't that an improvement?

What beer do you drink? I will also give you a slab if the cats finnish second.
    Boags premium thanks lads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    When someone contemplates retirement they're effectively retired.
    Stkilda would need another astronomical performance from their top liners to make it back.
    Their big hope was that first GF when the pies had all their key players down and they didn't get the job done,a pragmatic saints fan at work reckons they've got little coming through and it's now and possibly the next12 months or bust.
    Stkilda are going to pay a massive price for their recycling and in particular last season.
    Nothing would give this poster more satisfaction than the smarmy boring cliched windbag coach with his shit boring gameplan fall down the table

As for the catters I think they'll still finish top 6 but it will be a gradual fall.
    They recycled to try and win a flag and were a bee's appendage away from succeeding. Sometimes you have to load up and have a crack. I don't balme them for it. The question is more now about an understanding of where their list is at and when to suck it up for a few years and start again... Essentially what many pundits are saying about us and even more will in the post Hall/Hudson seasons not far ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    They recycled to try and win a flag and were a bee's appendage away from succeeding. Sometimes you have to load up and have a crack. I don't balme them for it. The question is more now about an understanding of where their list is at and when to suck it up for a few years and start again... Essentially what many pundits are saying about us and even more will in the post Hall/Hudson seasons not far ahead.
    Difference is we have better young players coming through,yes I know we're biased and all that but I've had the same view echoed from Stkilda supporters.
    Agree about them having a crack but you have to have one eye on the present and one on the future and I think Stkilda have gone a little to much on the present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Essentially what many pundits are saying about us and even more will in the post Hall/Hudson seasons not far ahead.
    I'm not that worried about Hudson/Hall retirements looming. We have Grant, Roughhead, Cordy coming into the side to replace them.

What worries me is what are we going to do when Lake retires?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yes, and Morris.
    Williams may be able to develop the ability to shut down his opponent but I doubt he'll ever gain the nous for zoning off and rebound.

Lake did have to learn the hard way though, given he was often the only legitimate tall down in defence so had to figure out when to cover the second opposition tall.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, and Morris.
    Williams may be able to develop the ability to shut down his opponent but I doubt he'll ever gain the nous for zoning off and rebound.

Lake did have to learn the hard way though, given he was often the only legitimate tall down in defence so had to figure out when to cover the second opposition tall.
    We just haven't quite been able to get that additional genuine tall defender on the list. Boumann could have been that player. Mulligan was also being groomed for a key position but would need to taken a giant step in 2011 to achieve that and Markovic is only an option for the short term. Tiller has had no luck with injuries.

Getting a player like Lake so late in the draft was a great get.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not that worried about Hudson/Hall retirements looming. We have Grant, Roughhead, Cordy coming into the side to replace them.

Why all the panicing? Brian has at least 3 years left, who knows what may or may not happen in that time.. I'm a glass half full kinda girl

Post Thanks / Like

Lake is a once-a-generation type, so we shouldn't be hoping to get another Lake -- if Williams or another tall defender comes on and does a respectable job, that would be a good outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    Why all the panicing? Brian has at least 3 years left, who knows what may or may not happen in that time.. I'm a glass half full kinda girl
    It would take 3 years to blood/groom a replacement, there's no way someone could just step into that role from VFL level.

Ideally we would have had a young tall FB showing some promise this year at VFL level.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers