Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd keen to be top dog at Whitten Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Where does the perception that Griffen is 'too quiet' come from? He of the infamous 'Richmond gave up' gaffe? Did the fallout from that make him shut up too much?

The guy is class on and off the field, and regardless of whether or not he seems to talk a lot or not, I'm sure that he'll step right up when required and do the job as well as can be expected -- no one really thought Tom Harley was a chatterbox when he was handed the job. Talk is cheap, anyway. Give me a captain that leads/inspires by example anyday.. we see plenty of shots of blowhards yelling at their team in the huddles to gee them up while their teammates' eyes glaze over as they've just had too much of the message/messenger (overstimulated); and these antics rarely works outside of a Hollywood movie in any case.

When a 'quiet' one speaks, at least you know he means what he says.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's very possible I am), but I thought I heard Griff say somewhere that he doesn't actually want to be captain. Did I hear that or have I got my wires scrambledm (mixed metaphors aside)?

On another note, this is my 1000th post. When can I expect my girl in a cake?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think if we wait for 2 to 3 years to promote Adam we would have missed the boat. He is now in his prime in terms of his footy abilities and may not be the same player he is now in a couple of years, but I guess he might be a better leader at this time.
    I get that, but I remain unconvinced that it is really the right time now

I'd actually prefer he just focus on producing his absolute best in september

we only have a few guys capable of becoming absolute superstars - cooney is one, but he isn't there yet in terms of having an influence in the big games

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's very possible I am), but I thought I heard Griff say somewhere that he doesn't actually want to be captain. Did I hear that or have I got my wires scrambledm (mixed metaphors aside)?

On another note, this is my 1000th post. When can I expect my girl in a cake?
    I think it was publicly stated that he didn't want to go to the Gold Coast to be the face of the franchise and likes being able to go to the supermarket without being hassled etc

GVGjr normally organises the cake, others the girl

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who feels that Boyd has basically got the job already?

He has been appointed Bulldoze the Debt ambassador, and is on the 2011 Membership Card standing in front of other senior players (Gia, Cooney, Cross and another).

I'd say they're waiting for a pre-season training camp to confirm it with the players, but I reckon it's a sure thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that Boyd has basically got the job already?

He has been appointed Bulldoze the Debt ambassador, and is on the 2011 Membership Card standing in front of other senior players (Gia, Cooney, Cross and another).

I'd say they're waiting for a pre-season training camp to confirm it with the players, but I reckon it's a sure thing.
    Nope, I agree with you.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I know I've said it all before but In my opinion, a midfielder should not have he responibility of being a captain. A captain should be able to see the ground and the play, not necessarily be in the thick of things, Although I wouldn't begrudge Boyd, Coons or Crossy for putting their hand up, I personally believe that a true leader "Directs" his players. johnno was a Master of that. Again I therefore nominate Bob Murhpy or Dale Morris. Not in the thick of things but able to direct as well as act at the appropriate times.
    I would not like to see either of Gia & Higgo fighting over a mirror instead of rallying the troops

Post Thanks / Like

Gia is directing players for pretty much the entire game as it is.