Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You would expect so.
    Malthouse did it years ago with Hardie.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd keen to be top dog at Whitten Oval

Cooney - also possible and my pick.

The captain has not only got to be a leader on the ground but he also has duties off the ground, representing the club at functions, with media etc . We also want the captain to be around for at least three years , which eliminates Hall and Hudson.
    I fail to see what so many others see in Cooney as a potential captain.

His effort at the players sponsors night was just sub-par and its not the only time I have seen him at functions not represent the club in the right manner.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 01-11-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

His effort at the players sponsors night was just sub-par and its not the only time I have seen him at functions not represent the club in the right manner.
    I can't comment on functions, but have seen Cooney on TV and seems to handle himself very well.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 01-11-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fixed my spelling
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Because besides being our best player, his team-mates respect & listen to his opinion.... and I think how he is viewed by his team-mates is extremely important.

While he probably needs to improve his demeanour at the club functions you mentioned Adam looks to have matured a fair bit over the past 12 to 24 months and I think the capataincy role would be one that would help him become a better player and a better person.

Post Thanks / Like

Where does the perception that Griffen is 'too quiet' come from? He of the infamous 'Richmond gave up' gaffe? Did the fallout from that make him shut up too much?

The guy is class on and off the field, and regardless of whether or not he seems to talk a lot or not, I'm sure that he'll step right up when required and do the job as well as can be expected -- no one really thought Tom Harley was a chatterbox when he was handed the job. Talk is cheap, anyway. Give me a captain that leads/inspires by example anyday.. we see plenty of shots of blowhards yelling at their team in the huddles to gee them up while their teammates' eyes glaze over as they've just had too much of the message/messenger (overstimulated); and these antics rarely works outside of a Hollywood movie in any case.

When a 'quiet' one speaks, at least you know he means what he says.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't comment on functions, but have seen Cooney on TV and seems to handle himself very well.
    Functions was one of the criteria you listed however, as for his efforts on the TV I agree he does OK but does he really represent the club that well?
    Lets not confuse a natural TV comedic presence as being a skill that will always represent the club in the best light.

I understand that he has apparently made some progress with his leadership endeavors, and he needed to, but if he had the same ability as Boyd I doubt many would give Cooney a huge endorsement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Because besides being our best player, his team-mates respect & listen to his opinion.... and I think how he is viewed by his team-mates is extremely important.

While he probably needs to improve his demeanour at the club functions you mentioned Adam looks to have matured a fair bit over the past 12 to 24 months and I think the capataincy role would be one that would help him become a better player and a better person.
    They didn't 12 months back and 6 months improvement doesn't change that much in my opinion. I witnessed on a few occasions the more seniors guys having a quiet word to him.

By the way, I remain to be convinced that he has matured. I was just quoting a view that I heard.

There is no question that he is the best player at the club but I hope there is a lot more to the role than that.

I wonder if we could also apply your view that the captaincy would make some better to Boyd and his defensive efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we could also apply your view that the captaincy would make some better to Boyd and his defensive efforts.
    I believe only a big change of role would improve Boyd in this area.... Unless we make him play a role where he has to be accountable to a man first and foremost I don't think we will see him change his ways.

For Adam I would hope some added responsibility would help him to play with some extra intensity would is something that Boyd doesn't lack.

Post Thanks / Like

In the question of Boyd not being accountable for his opposition number.. is Ablett or Swan accountable for their opposite player?
    Some players are not there to worry about the opponent but to get as much ball as they can.
    If all players were accountable for the direct opponent there wouldnt be any players going for the ball !

I think we can get to caught up on worrying about the opposition player than letting our own players have freedom and the opposition worrying about our ball getters.
    I presume that most teams have maybe one or 2 stoppers in the middle max the rest are hopefully readers of the play.

As for Boyds delivery, maybe its questionable but 90% of those clean ball users are outside players that recieve the ball off blokes like Boyd or Cross who are doing the close in stuff.

Griffen and Cooney are the burst players who seem to struggle with delivery when coming out of the centre, they do all the hard stuff break tackles get free then butcher what seems an easy pass.
    I would love to see Griffen as a captain but that is only from seeing him perform on the field, no idea what he is like off it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Boyd putting up his hand for the job, although I can't comment on his ability to motivate and lead the rest of the team. Whilst I like Cooney, I too think he is still a little immature to be the first focal point of our club. Do not doubt his ability or commitment, but he would probably need to leave his "dry" sense of humour somewhere else when appearing as captain. Only met a few of them at the Trainers function earlier this year, and would have to say, Gia impressed me with his ability to chat with me without seeming like I was a bother. Griffen is a great player, but he appeared to find it difficult to chat. Murphy was very open and the conversation flowed easily. Boyd wasn't at the function, so I wasn't able to form an opinion. Dale Morris was also very personable, but I have heard they think he won't be able to do the tough stuff - too much of a nice guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    In the question of Boyd not being accountable for his opposition number.. is Ablett or Swan accountable for their opposite player?
    Some players are not there to worry about the opponent but to get as much ball as they can.
    If all players were accountable for the direct opponent there wouldnt be any players going for the ball !

I think we can get to caught up on worrying about the opposition player than letting our own players have freedom and the opposition worrying about our ball getters.
    I presume that most teams have maybe one or 2 stoppers in the middle max the rest are hopefully readers of the play.
    That's what Mantis and others have been harping on about though -- Boydy doesn't have the skills to be as damaging as Ablett or Swan, regardless of how many disposals he gets, so if Malthouse or Thompson had to choose to let Boydy run free as long as Gazza or Dane also ran free, they would take it any day, because Ablett's 30 possessions will be damaging, while Boydy's 35 won't.

It seems that our coaching staff and Matthew himself now believe that him getting his 30 possessions will cancel out Swan or Ablett's 30, but it's just not true, and he has to get back to limiting his direct opponent (usually our opposition's premier midfielder) rather than engaging in a direct shootout with them, as their elite footskills beat Boydy's workmanlike disposal every day of the week.

It's not like we're talking about Cooney finding the ball 30 times here.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not changing my AVATAR yet. It's M.O.R.R.I.S for Captain.
    or Barry Hall. Would be great to see Bazza lead the club; what inspirational head locks! kidding.

As for Dale - Doubt his ability to do the tough stuff? He got promoted on his ability to knuckle down. Did the hard yards. Rated highly
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe only a big change of role would improve Boyd in this area.... Unless we make him play a role where he has to be accountable to a man first and foremost I don't think we will see him change his ways.

For Adam I would hope some added responsibility would help him to play with some extra intensity would is something that Boyd doesn't lack.
    I agree with most of what you are saying here

I think its clear our midfield coaching/strategy and execution fell off the pace in 2011. I dont think either the players nor the coaches can escape responsibility here. The group struggled to find the right balance of attack and defensive accountability. Early in the year we lacked drive and dare, later at times we got sliced up. Improvement here desperately needed.

I would hope Adam could continue to develop his leadership capabilities. I see Vice or Deputy-Vice being the best step in his continued development, knowing that whoever is captain will likely only be so for 2 years when Adam could take over. That said I dont underestimate for a second his leadership or the esteem he is held within the group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

I would hope Adam could continue to develop his leadership capabilities. I see Vice or Deputy-Vice being the best step in his continued development, knowing that whoever is captain will likely only be so for 2 years when Adam could take over. That said I dont underestimate for a second his leadership or the esteem he is held within the group.
    I think if we wait for 2 to 3 years to promote Adam we would have missed the boat. He is now in his prime in terms of his footy abilities and may not be the same player he is now in a couple of years, but I guess he might be a better leader at this time.