Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon staying on for a flag

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has committed for another three years, determined to complete unfinished business.

Smorgon, urged by confidantes and fellow board members to re-nominate, yesterday declared the club is still within striking distance of a premiership.

"The window is wide open in our view," Smorgon said.

"The Bulldog people should have every confidence that we are going to be a contender again.

"We are creating the 'Decade of the Doggies'. We want to create a decade of continued success and that means, of course, we've got to win premierships as well."

Showing no signs of battle fatigue after 14 years in the job and three successive preliminary final losses, Smorgon's re-election as president is now a formality.

There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable, much like Eddie McGuire at Collingwood.

READ MORE
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon staying on for a flag

This is great news for the club. He has been our best ever president.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news.

Quote of the week from this article, when he was talking about how they could put a book out about all that Aker has said and done since he left:

"I reckon we might sell more than 100 books."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable
    Damn straight he is.

Post Thanks / Like

To use a Facebook-ism....

"Like"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

There is speculation two newcomers may nominate for board positions before tomorrow's deadline, but Smorgon is untouchable, much like Eddie McGuire at Collingwood.

READ MORE
    I wonder who the 'newcomers' are?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This^
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news - a professional and respected face of our club! He has done a great deal of positive stuff to change the culture and image of the Western Bulldogs and earn the respect of other more "monied" clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    I wonder who the 'newcomers' are?
    No newcomers at all.

This statement from Campbell Rose:

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose has released the following statement regarding nominations for vacant Board positions.

"I wish to inform the Clubs Members that as at close of business today the 3 nominations for exisiting Directors President David Smorgon OAM, Dr Susan Alberti AO and George Pappas have been received, matching the number of vacant positions on the Club's Board."
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    No newcomers at all.

This statement from Campbell Rose:

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose has released the following statement regarding nominations for vacant Board positions.

"I wish to inform the Clubs Members that as at close of business today the 3 nominations for exisiting Directors President David Smorgon OAM, Dr Susan Alberti AO and George Pappas have been received, matching the number of vacant positions on the Club's Board."
    Those 3 board members have been terrific for us and I think they have the support of vast majority of club members anyway but I don't think its ideal not to have others wanting to get on to our board of directors. New ideas, different approaches and different skill sets can be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whilst Smorgon has been outstanding I don't want to diminish what Peter Gordon did for us.
    Gordon did a great job which kept us alive during those dark days where our survival was under significant pressure.
    He also stepped aside once he realised he had done everything that he was capable of and that David Smorgon and his team had better plans and vision for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Those 3 board members have been terrific for us and I think they have the support of vast majority of club members anyway but I don't think its ideal not to have others wanting to get on to our board of directors. New ideas, different approaches and different skill sets can be a good thing.
    THe existing Board have different skill sets. There is a wide varation in the skills brought to the table betwen Susan Alberti, George Pappas and say, Barry Hall.

When specific skills are required they have recruited people like Neil O'Keefe who was brought onto the Board to get the Bulldog Hilton over the line and having achieved that, immediately retired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    THe existing Board have different skill sets. There is a wide varation in the skills brought to the table betwen Susan Alberti, George Pappas and say, Barry Hall.

When specific skills are required they have recruited people like Neil O'Keefe who was brought onto the Board to get the Bulldog Hilton over the line and having achieved that, immediately retired.
    Its a good approach but I'm of the view that it would be good thing to have other talented people interested in coming onto the board. Perhaps its just a sign that the three were very unlikely to be unseated anyway because of their significant contribution.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what is written on the board behind Smorgo -- that's everything we need to do in a nutshell, the hard part is doing it, but at least no one is under any illusions as to what we should be aiming for.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome news, this has made my day!