Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Puopolo tours Whitten Oval

WHITTEN Oval is firming as a possible new home for Paul Puopolo after the Western Bulldogs flew the dashing Norwood defender to Melbourne for a medical today.

Puopolo, 23 and 175cm, looms as a potential like-for-like replacement for Jarrod Harbrow, who signed with the Gold Coast Suns in September.

The Bulldogs made contact with the Redlegs' mature-age prospect, who is coming off a breakout season, earlier this year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225952241775

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puopolo tours Whitten Oval

If he is as good as some seem to think, how can he still be available when we get a pick?

Post Thanks / Like

True Joe. Anyone that plays SANFL is good.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, you're correct. Every single player that has ever been on a VFL/AFL list is somehow magically better then every single player that has only ever been on an SANFL/WAFL/NTFL/QAFL/NSWFL list. How silly of me not to realise this years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not the only club interested by all accounts so he may not be available.
    There have been posters (on another site that shall go unnamed) that rate a few late 20s prospects in the SANFL as better players.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    If he is as good as some seem to think, how can he still be available when we get a pick?
    The article is full of porkies -- Puopolo has obviously been told to not blab all over the papers so he's playing it coy so as to not push up his price too much, but if it comes down to it, I'm sure that we'll get him to quasi-nominate us as his preferred club (if he wants to), and teams these days are a bit loathe to get players who have indicated that they don't really want to come to your club, so they'll leave him alone-ish. We can also cash in some of the goodwill* we have with clubs around our pick to get him to come through to us -- it's not like he's a no.1 pick or the next coming of God or anything that clubs would give their eyeteeth for.

* This is why the Bombers will be stuck at the bottom for another 10 years.. the bridges burnt and the classlessness with which they've conducted themselves in the name of having the right to because they are a 'big club' would not have gone down well with any of the other 16 clubs, so good luck finding any goodwill come tradeweek etc. they'll be screwed over in every trade for the next 5 years a la Hawthorn, and with a list as shit as theirs, a coach with zero experience, and Thomson being a bigger problem than help with the internal politics and ego (which assistant coach just 'shows up' to a training session and tells the head coach how it is?), they better believe that they'll be stuck for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We're not the only club interested by all accounts so he may not be available.
    There have been posters (on another site that shall go unnamed) that rate a few late 20s prospects in the SANFL as better players.

To save me wasting time, which players?

Ian Callinan presumably is one.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we have any room to move on any of these mature listed players?

We didn't have enough to keep Hahn, even though it seems we wanted to. Granted he would of wanted a lot more than a mature age rookie, however I believe we have 5 picks, 2 are for Wallis and Libba, the other 3 picks are 1 in the 70's, and 2 in the 90's.

I think there will be very little chance in a shallow draft and with a recent trend of successfull mature age rookies that we will get a player that anyone has heard of or rates.

Are we really a chance of getting Puopolo?

Especially now that everyone knows we might be after him, he may not last long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    To save me wasting time, which players?

Ian Callinan presumably is one.
    I suspect most of the info is parroted from this article you may have seen: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225938224147

You nailed selction no 1

Post Thanks / Like

Is Puopolo any good anyone who has seen him? Do you think he can make the step up to AFL level?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I suspect most of the info is parroted from this article you may have seen: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225938224147

You nailed selction no 1
    Interesting list with some ex AFL listed players getting strong mentions including ex Bulldog Keiran McGuiness at 11. Guy O'Keefe also mentioned in the write up.

Also highlights that strong State League form is not necessarily an indicator of AFL success.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting list with some ex AFL listed players getting strong mentions including ex Bulldog Keiran McGuiness at 11. Guy O'Keefe also mentioned in the write up.

Also highlights that strong State League form is not necessarily an indicator of AFL success.
    Someone a while back mentioned that guys who play AFL, go back to a state league, then play AFL again break down more often than not. Don;t think it's an issue for guys who haven't been on an AFL list.

Puopolo seems young enough to avoid such issues. We have done well from VFL guys previously (heck, VFL Franga seconds in Boyd's case) and for pick 75 I wouldn't mind a punt on a mature type playing a state league.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't say that.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether or not we are interested in Puopulo I don't know but why we would target a 23yo to play back pocket seems a little strange.
    Even if we want him with the picks we have available its hardily news worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth my soon to be father in-law is a Norwood supporter and he doesn't think Puopolo is up to AFL standard.