Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puopolo tours Whitten Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    For what it's worth my soon to be father in-law is a Norwood supporter and he doesn't think Puopolo is up to AFL standard.
    I have no idea whatsoever if Puopolo is any good but I sincerely hope that our pursuit of a mature age 23yo is for the purpose of actually coming straight into the senior team and performing the role vacated by Harbrow, and that he's not being considered for depth purposes only. I'm all for U-18's to be drafted and to ply their trade at the lower levels but I don't particularly want to see a repeat of the Markovic situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Is Puopolo any good anyone who has seen him? Do you think he can make the step up to AFL level?
    I saw him in the SANFL grand final and while Callinan was the best player on the day(consistent grit and high skills), Puopolo looked to be a class above anyone else on the field, at times it looked as though the rest of the players were in slow motion, he has an abundance of poise at that level, and I am a centrals supporter. AFL is a different level of pressure of course.

Interestingly, Callinan has been called up to train with the cows.

Chops, if your so disenchanted with this thread then why are you posting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I have no idea whatsoever if Puopolo is any good but I sincerely hope that our pursuit of a mature age 23yo is for the purpose of actually coming straight into the senior team and performing the role vacated by Harbrow, and that he's not being considered for depth purposes only. I'm all for U-18's to be drafted and to ply their trade at the lower levels but I don't particularly want to see a repeat of the Markovic situation.
    I think it's purely backup for Harbrow's spot. More so describing what sort of role he would be targetted for, and not that he would slot straight in, but you never know.

We also picked up Djekurra who might play in that role as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Someone a while back mentioned that guys who play AFL, go back to a state league, then play AFL again break down more often than not. Don;t think it's an issue for guys who haven't been on an AFL list.

Puopolo seems young enough to avoid such issues. We have done well from VFL guys previously (heck, VFL Franga seconds in Boyd's case) and for pick 75 I wouldn't mind a punt on a mature type playing a state league.
    Me too, he seems like a good replacement for Harbrow.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly certain I saw Puopolo and some other bloke at Whitten Oval on Thursday. They were doing some run-throughs, bit of kick-to-kick and some shots at goal. Handy shot at goal as he did't miss many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Just on the Markovic recruitment. He ticked a lot of the boxes we were looking for so I can understand why we went for him
    He was a good height and weight for a back-up key defender plus his skill level is OK and he wouldn't have cost us much more than just a spot on the list but I suppose we might have chanced things and gone for a rookie spot. Really the only knock on him has been his pace.

As for Puopolo, the concerns will be his height because it will limit the positions he might be able to play and if his skills and pace can be effective in the AFL.

My preference would be to go with a youngster but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we selected him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    For what it's worth my soon to be father in-law is a Norwood supporter and he doesn't think Puopolo is up to AFL standard.
    For what it's worth, a Norwood supporter isn't up to AFL standard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Whether or not we are interested in Puopulo I don't know but why we would target a 23yo to play back pocket seems a little strange.
    Even if we want him with the picks we have available its hardily news worthy.
    Why would it be strange?, and off course it's newsworthy, with the success over the years of state league players not only breaking into AFL; but playing vital roles [Pods, Barlow etc], plus it was written in a paper that only has 2 AFL sides.

Besides, you have posted a few times in this thread, you must think it's newsworthy as such......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    I'm fairly certain I saw Puopolo and some other bloke at Whitten Oval on Thursday. They were doing some run-throughs, bit of kick-to-kick and some shots at goal. Handy shot at goal as he did't miss many.
    Did the other bloke look like someone who we would consider drafting, or was it more of a manager type?

Would be an interesting exercise to get the Woof spy network out there to find out who it was.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Why would it be strange?, and off course it's newsworthy, with the success over the years of state league players not only breaking into AFL; but playing vital roles [Pods, Barlow etc], plus it was written in a paper that only has 2 AFL sides.

Besides, you have posted a few times in this thread, you must think it's newsworthy as such......
    State leagues? I know of a few vfl older aged players making it. Not sure about the success rate of other states. I also know a number of state level players that don't make it.

You must be mistaken too, this article mainly about the player and not the western bulldogs. ATM it's pure speculation whether he comes to us. How would the local rag in Adelaide know what the full story is in regard to our recruitment policy this draft?

The article is written like he is the next star bp for the bulldogs when it's really about pumping up the individuals tyres.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Did the other bloke look like someone who we would consider drafting, or was it more of a manager type?

Would be an interesting exercise to get the Woof spy network out there to find out who it was.
    No, definitely player, don't know who but I worked out one was Puopolo after checking pic online.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the other guy big or small?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Was the other guy big or small?
    185cm, 85kg, short cropped dark brown hair with no facial follicles. Natural right footer with an average set of hands. From what I can recall, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

hell, it may be jordan ,acmahon reading that.

Post Thanks / Like

He can play a bit and is quick but he is short like Tutt although stronger in the body.