Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Official 2011 Draft selections

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Does anyone else think Pelschen picked up Puopolo knowing we were keen and perhaps trying to get back at us for not trading Josh Hill to them?
    Obviously he rated Puopolo, but I wonder whether that was at the back of his mind?
    I don't think so, they did well to get both Smith and Puopolo who should both be in their round 1 team next year.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that GVGjr might have alluded to this prior to the draft but isn't it ironic that Geelong didn't use pick 58 which they insisted on receiving from us in exchange for Nathan Djukerra.
    They used it to upgrade Pods which they could have done with a much later pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think that GVGjr might have alluded to this prior to the draft but isn't it ironic that Geelong didn't use pick 58 which they insisted on receiving from us in exchange for Nathan Djukerra.
    They used it to upgrade Pods which they could have done with a much later pick
    Its a point not lost on a few people I can assure you. I don't think we are reading things as well as we possibly should be.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we must have sent a boy (Dalrymple) to do a man's job. Imagine him going toe to toe with Balmey and Wells. I'm not certain what the dilineation of duties are among our recruiting & list management staff and who does the negotiations but the buck would have to stop with Fantasia wouldn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    They used it to upgrade Pods which they could have done with a much later pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Its a point not lost on a few people I can assure you. I don't think we are reading things as well as we possibly should be.
    I also thought the same thing, however Im not so sure its a simple as that.

Reality is how badly did we want Djukerra? Perhaps we did overplay our hand with how badly we wanted him.

Geelong like us are not in the business of giving other clubs an advantage by trading players for 4th round picks when they are worth a 3rd round.

I think the situation is similar to the Everitt one last year and the Hill one this year. We didn't get what we belived was market value for the player so the trade's did not happen.

Geelong believed that Djukerra was worth a 3rd round pick not a 4th round pick regardless if they were going to use the pick or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder if Puopolo was available if we would have actually drafted anyone 18 years of age with our live picks?

Dalrymple suggested that getting a 3rd tall forward was a priority so that just about locks Skinner in with the 2nd live pick and of course Hill is a 19 year old.
    Schofield & Skinner were rated more highly on our list than Puopolo.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Tom Hill came through the Northern Knights program as a junior and Dalrymple was there for a while as well. Anyone know if they have a history together and if that played some part in Dalrymple's choice?

That might sound like a leading question but I am genuinely curious about it and did also note that Veszpremi came through the Northern Knights program as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    I know Tom Hill came through the Northern Knights program as a junior and Dalrymple was there for a while as well. Anyone know if they have a history together and if that played some part in Dalrymple's choice?

That might sound like a leading question but I am genuinely curious about it and did also note that Veszpremi came through the Northern Knights program as well.
    Dalrymple said he had known Hill since Hill was 14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Schofield & Skinner were rated more highly on our list than Puopolo.
    How do you know that?

Do you know who else was on that list of 15?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    How do you know that?
    I got a hold of the list via a wikileak.

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Do you know who else was on that list of 15?
    No idea, but we had Schofield & Skinner very high on our list.

I did hear that we were surprised a couple of kids picked in the 30's went so early and had thought they might be available when we had our first 'live' pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I got a hold of the list via a wikileak.

No idea, but we had Schofield & Skinner very high on our list.

I did hear that we were surprised a couple of kids picked in the 30's went so early and had thought they might be available when we had our first 'live' pick.
    The bit about Skinner and Schofield interests me. From all I've read and heard, they appear to be legitimate selections that we're happy with, not just late draft punts. It's weird they went so late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    The bit about Skinner and Schofield interests me. From all I've read and heard, they appear to be legitimate selections that we're happy with, not just late draft punts. It's weird they went so late.
    Blayne Wilson might struggle with it though

I have had some good reports about Skinners athleticism particular his jumping ability. I hope we have the resources to really help develop him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"