Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs prepare for an election they can get excited about

IF YOU think Victoria has election fatigue after federal and state polls in the space of three months, spare a thought for the Western Bulldogs, about to embark on another election campaign, lasting all summer long.

For the Bulldogs, this third poll - to decide the successor as captain to the retired Brad Johnson - is no less important. There are up to half-a-dozen candidates on the ballot paper, no clear favourite, and every prospect that even the club will still be guessing come late February, when a decision is expected to be made.

Adam Cooney, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa and Dale Morris have got the next three months to sort themselves out, and coach Rodney Eade won't be holding back putting their credentials to the test.

"The way we look at it, we've got three or four guys in the leadership group we think are fairly good candidates for it," Eade said yesterday. "There might be one or two ahead of the others, but we're going to give them time and give them some projects over the next three months and some scenarios and see how these guys handle it and see which one stands out above the rest."

The scenario isn't entirely new for the coach. In 2005, his first season as Bulldogs' coach, Luke Darcy was given the skipper's role at a similarly late juncture in proceedings.

Pre-season training continues, meanwhile, with the requisite cast of old hands, newcomers from elsewhere such as Patrick Veszpremi, Nathan Djerrkura and Justin Sherman, and the cubs inducted into the mix at last week's national draft, or in the case of father-son selections Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore, a little before that. Eade was suitably enthused about the prospects of both at training yesterday, tipping both capable of playing at senior level in 2011.

"They're both very mature lads, and they have that steely determination both their dads had," Eade said. "Steve Wallis was captain of the club, and you can see the leadership qualities in Mitch, and Tom's a little bit taller than his dad, but he's got the same left foot. I think there are obvious similarities, but I think they'll make their own mark as well."

Eade was similarly excited by the prospects of indigenous talent Zephaniah Skinner, already dubbed the "Z-man" and looming as a potential cult figure, who the club came close to listing as a rookie last year, but had no reservations about 12 months on, after a season spent with the Northern Territory Thunder in the Queensland League, where he won best first-year player.

Training yesterday also featured the presence of veteran Mitch Hahn, recently delisted but offered a spot as a rookie by the club this week, with the possibility of some coaching work with VFL club Williamstown. While Hahn still has hopes of continuing his AFL career, Eade said the spot was his if he wanted it.

"Mitch is interested in coaching and we know he's done a good job around different parts of the local community," Eade said. ''Williamstown are obviously keen. Maybe he could add a bit of coaching experience there.

''It's not over the line, as such, but it's an option we've spoken about.

"It's up to him about working through the pros and cons about what he wants to do with his career. He's disappointed not being on the senior list, but he thinks he can play senior footy, so he's got that passion and drive."

Eade said he was hopeful that Cooney, Callan Ward, Ryan Hargrave, all of whom have been in a rehabilitation group, would be running again over the next three weeks. All-Australian full-back Brian Lake, however, won't resume running until mid-January after a knee injury carried through the finals series, and hip surgery three weeks ago.

"He carried a knee for the last four weeks, and it was a bit worse than we thought at the time," Eade said of Lake.

Eade said he was confident the Dogs could challenge again after three successive preliminary final defeats.

"I think the main thing where we've fallen down is being able to execute under real pressure," he said.

"The last two preliminary finals, we've had more scoring opportunities than the opposition, and had our chances.

"I think there's still enough confidence and belief in the group.

''Obviously, we've lost a bit of experience, but I'm fairly comfortable the guys we've traded for are adding a bit of pace and talent, and then there's the younger ones coming through."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...123-185nj.html
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs prepare for an election they can get excited about

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post

Adam Cooney, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa and Dale Morris have got the next three months to sort themselves out, and coach Rodney Eade won't be holding back putting their credentials to the test.
    I wish.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I wish.
    Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the comment on Tom Liberatore's left foot being the same as his dad's.

Tony's wasn't the best, his little legs lacked the penetration and power, and he would generally sky the ball with his passes. I think Tom's kicking is much better than his father's, mostly because he's taller.

If Eade means that they look similar when they kick then i guess that would be more on the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Not sure about the comment on Tom Liberatore's left foot being the same as his dad's.

Tony's wasn't the best, his little legs lacked the penetration and power, and he would generally sky the ball with his passes. I think Tom's kicking is much better than his father's, mostly because he's taller.

If Eade means that they look similar when they kick then i guess that would be more on the money.
    I thought it was a strange comment as well.

Post Thanks / Like

The Z-man... love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, is it Zed-man or Zee-man?

Post Thanks / Like

Eade is gold in these types of pieces,

Hopefully he is right and we can be there abouts again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Just to clarify, is it Zed-man or Zee-man?

Zed-man. If we were in America he would be Zee-man.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

The way it reads it sounds like Tony had his left foot amputated and transplanted onto Tom's leg...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Zed-man. If we were in America he would be Zee-man.
    But we've already got Wee-man, so we should call him Zee-man!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    But we've already got Wee-man, so we should call him Zee-man!!

Zee instead of zed is one of my pet hates. That and people pronouncing the word lieutenant as lootenant instead of leftenant. Unless they are in the navy, then it's OK.

Pedantic much?

Oh and if we draft Ed Barlow from Sydney he could be the Ed-man to go with the Zed-man!

Post Thanks / Like

Zee instead of zed is one of my pet hates. That and people pronouncing the word lieutenant as lootenant instead of leftenant. Unless they are in the navy, then it's OK.

Pedantic much?
    You're not the only one! Just checking, very pleased it's Zed-man, but you just never know these days... Can't even stop my kids saying it. Must be too much Sesame Street!

(Hate skedule for shedule, too.)

Post Thanks / Like

Pedantic much?

Oh and if we draft Ed Barlow from Sydney he could be the Ed-man to go with the Zed-man!
    You like to go off track dont you? And I thought I went off track? No replies Coondog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    You're not the only one! Just checking, very pleased it's Zed-man, but you just never know these days... Can't even stop my kids saying it. Must be too much Sesame Street!

(Hate skedule for shedule, too.)

Ha! My dad wouldnt let me watch Sesame St precisely because they used 'Zee' instead of 'Zed". He said it was American cultural imperialism