Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 AFL Ladder Predictor

1. Collingwood: It'd take a brave man to pick against them based on what we've seen. Still a young list with room for improvement. Gain Tarrant and Krakouer. The question is whether or not sides can catch them.
    2. Western Bulldogs: I see us improving a fair bit. Our depth looks better, although we'll struggle if we suffer injuries to key backs. Need a relatively injury free year, but we've got a heap of improvement from the majority of our list.
    3. Fremantle: Not convinced they'll definitely make the top four, but they are certainly a young and quality side on the rise. Depends how they cope with Tarrant leaving. Key backs aren't great.
    4. St. Kilda: Predicting a slide. Outside of their top 5 or so players, they aren't impressive. Milne and Hayes a year older, but the Goddard/Riewoldt/Dal Santo types will still cement them in the top quarter IMO.
    5. Hawthorn: Due for an injury free season. Schoenmakers (sp?) to hold down a role as a KPD. Their best is very good - with a few tinkers and some luck, perhaps they'll be more consistent. Still young enough.
    6. Geelong: Hard to see them slip any further. Still will win their fair share of games, but should slide with the older brigade and loss of Ablett.
    7. Adelaide: Lot of their good players had average seasons including Tippett, Porp and McKay. Injury free + development of Sloane etc. and they should be back. Potential to finish 4-10th, hard side to place.
    8. Melbourne: Possibly a year early as they need Watts, Jurrah, Scully, Trengove etc. to stand up. However, they did OK in '10 and should still improve. Need to start performing more consistently.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9. Carlton: Another side that is a little hard to place. Could finish as high as 5th, although it seems a stretch. Too reliant on a few players (Judd, Waite, Betts). Some quality young players need to have big years (Henderson, Yarran) ditto McLean.
    10. North Melbourne: Still think they are lacking the ability to beat the sides named above them on a consistent basis. Petrie will be a huge inclusion and they have scope for improvement but I haven't seen enough to judge them higher. Harvey a year older doesn't help.
    11. Sydney: Few of their better players are getting on so they become a little more reliant on first to third year players. Still a well drilled side and they seem to find a way of making the final 8 each year.
    12. Richmond: Got some of their passion back under Hardwick, he did a wonderful job after a rocky start. Some good young kids coming through, I see them improving again.
    13. Essendon: Hird may save them from holding up the ladder, but you can only do so much with a horrible list. Great coaching panel though. They'll still win a few games here and there due to pace, but eh, that's about it.
    14. Port Adelaide: Difficult to see them finishing much higher, although I don't know their list inside out. Seem to be going nowhere the last few years, might need a few more before they rise up again.
    15. Brisbane: A fit Brown/Fevola duo saves them from finishing bottom. Also will get back players like Adcock and Drummond, and whilst they may not be as good as they were prior to injury, they'll keep Brisbane off the bottom.
    16. Gold Coast: No forward line and if/when injuries hit they'll be stuffed.
    17. West Coast: Still the worst list in the AFL. Been saying for 2 years they can't hit the side of a barn. Fail to see how that will improve. Rubbish team.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 AFL Ladder Predictor

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    1. Collingwood: It'd take a brave man to pick against them based on what we've seen. Still a young list with room for improvement. Gain Tarrant and Krakouer. The question is whether or not sides can catch them.
    2. Western Bulldogs: I see us improving a fair bit. Our depth looks better, although we'll struggle if we suffer injuries to key backs. Need a relatively injury free year, but we've got a heap of improvement from the majority of our list.
    3. Fremantle: Not convinced they'll definitely make the top four, but they are certainly a young and quality side on the rise. Depends how they cope with Tarrant leaving. Key backs aren't great.
    4. St. Kilda: Predicting a slide. Outside of their top 5 or so players, they aren't impressive. Milne and Hayes a year older, but the Goddard/Riewoldt/Dal Santo types will still cement them in the top quarter IMO.
    5. Hawthorn: Due for an injury free season. Schoenmakers (sp?) to hold down a role as a KPD. Their best is very good - with a few tinkers and some luck, perhaps they'll be more consistent. Still young enough.
    6. Geelong: Hard to see them slip any further. Still will win their fair share of games, but should slide with the older brigade and loss of Ablett.
    7. Adelaide: Lot of their good players had average seasons including Tippett, Porp and McKay. Injury free + development of Sloane etc. and they should be back. Potential to finish 4-10th, hard side to place.
    8. Melbourne: Possibly a year early as they need Watts, Jurrah, Scully, Trengove etc. to stand up. However, they did OK in '10 and should still improve. Need to start performing more consistently.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9. Carlton: Another side that is a little hard to place. Could finish as high as 5th, although it seems a stretch. Too reliant on a few players (Judd, Waite, Betts). Some quality young players need to have big years (Henderson, Yarran) ditto McLean.
    10. North Melbourne: Still think they are lacking the ability to beat the sides named above them on a consistent basis. Petrie will be a huge inclusion and they have scope for improvement but I haven't seen enough to judge them higher. Harvey a year older doesn't help.
    11. Sydney: Few of their better players are getting on so they become a little more reliant on first to third year players. Still a well drilled side and they seem to find a way of making the final 8 each year.
    12. Richmond: Got some of their passion back under Hardwick, he did a wonderful job after a rocky start. Some good young kids coming through, I see them improving again.
    13. Essendon: Hird may save them from holding up the ladder, but you can only do so much with a horrible list. Great coaching panel though. They'll still win a few games here and there due to pace, but eh, that's about it.
    14. Port Adelaide: Difficult to see them finishing much higher, although I don't know their list inside out. Seem to be going nowhere the last few years, might need a few more before they rise up again.
    15. Brisbane: A fit Brown/Fevola duo saves them from finishing bottom. Also will get back players like Adcock and Drummond, and whilst they may not be as good as they were prior to injury, they'll keep Brisbane off the bottom.
    16. Gold Coast: No forward line and if/when injuries hit they'll be stuffed.
    17. West Coast: Still the worst list in the AFL. Been saying for 2 years they can't hit the side of a barn. Fail to see how that will improve. Rubbish team.
    LIKE the look of this

Post Thanks / Like

Nice summary. Thoughts -- Freo, Hawthorn and Melbourne seem high, but don't know who else goes up if they come down. Port seem low.

Reading that, it's quite clear that it's not actually a very strong comp next year, with quite a few teams in transition and/or developing, with only us, Collingwood and the Saints as the three established teams that could stay the same or improve, and even the Saints may slide (Geelong already sliding). Hawthorn could be anything simply because of their handful of X-factor types, but structure is still a real problem there.

It is clear that we're in a big, big, big window of opportunity before North, Freo, Melbourne and, later, GC17 and GWS really start growing up, and we need to capitalise -- just need to find a way to knock Collingwood off, which may not be too hard if they have anything resembling post-flag blues.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 25-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have North and Carlton in and Adelaide and Melbourne out.
    Carlton's one man midfield and I think Norf's youngsters are as good as Melbourne's.
    Not sold on Adelaide those late season wins sometimes hide cracks in a side,just can't see Sydney sliding out .

Post Thanks / Like

I should have said - but forgot - for everyone to post their own, and as usual, we'll reflect after the season.

Always fun to see how wrong I was!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally id have the 8 unchanged from this year, except Carlton out, Melbourne in. Top 4 I think will be between these 5 teams; Collingwood, StKilda, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle with Dogs/Cats being the top 4 roughies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Personally id have the 8 unchanged from this year, except Carlton out, Melbourne in. Top 4 I think will be between these 5 teams; Collingwood, StKilda, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle with Dogs/Cats being the top 4 roughies.
    Any reason why you see us falling behind all those other teams? I'd say that we could mount a case for being bigger improvers than St.Kilda, and I'd suggest we are likely to finish higher than Hawthorn and Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Any reason why you see us falling behind all those other teams? I'd say that we could mount a case for being bigger improvers than St.Kilda, and I'd suggest we are likely to finish higher than Hawthorn and Sydney.
    If we don't we would have had a very bad season. Hawthorn aren't going anywhere (unless Franklin has another blinder of a season, which is very unlikely considering his lifestyle) and are more likely to miss the eight than make the four. Clarkson dead man walking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agree StKilda can't improve unless they win the GF, getting to the GF will be an improvement for us, but they haven't lost a lot and gained a couple of forwards. We have lost a lot of experience and gained very little. But, with a full pre-season in Cooney, Murphy, Lake and co. it's going to make it a lot easier. Bit unsure though, not saying I can't see us in the top 4, I just see other teams in there before us.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done my ladder in a text file on my desktop yesterday..

Turns out the top 6 is the same as yours TBB, do apologise but did not copy

Also: My thoughts have changed since my last few posts I have just read, more confidence in the doggies mainly My placing of Essendon has nothing to do with their NAB Cup campaign, I still think they will be in the 8 to make up the numbers or just outside, with Carlton making up the 8

1. Collingwood
    2. Western Bulldogs
    3. StKilda
    4. Fremantle
    5. Hawthorn
    6. Geelong
    7. Melbourne
    8. Essendon
    -------------------
    9. Carlton
    10. Sydney
    11. Adelaide
    12. North Melbourne
    13. Richmond
    14. Gold Coast
    15. Port Adelaide
    16. West Coast
    17. Brisbane

Post Thanks / Like

1. Collingwood
    2. Bulldogs
    3. Hawthorn
    4. St Kilda
    5. Geelong
    6. Fremantle
    7. Sydney
    8. Adelaide
    ------------------------------
    9. Melbourne
    10. Carlton
    11. Richmond
    12. North Melbourne
    13. Essendon
    14. West Coast
    15. Gold Coast
    16. Port Adelaide
    17. Brisbane

Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine...

1. Collingwood - Cant go against them.
    2. W Bulldogs - Based on hope but also our list which has plenty of depth. I believe that was proven against Freo yesterday.
    3. St Kilda - Hard to see them going down too far, will still make top 4.
    4. Fremantle - Would love to see them in the top 4. They had a breakthrough year last year, and should do better IMO.
    5. Geelong - The loss of Ablett and Thompson will sting a bit, but will still have a good season.
    6. Hawthorn - Cant see them making top 4. A lot of people have, but I just cant see how and why.
    7. Carlton - Unfortunate to lose the final against the Swans last year. Can see them making the finals again.
    8. Melbourne - Been rebuilding for a few years and this year has to be the one to make the top 8.
    ----------------------------------------
    9. Sydney - New coach, new captain. A lot of things have changed for them. Tough to tell how they will go really.
    10. Bombers - Again, hard to tell. New coach, and the players and supporters have a lot of belief. Its just a matter of putting it into action.
    11. Adelaide - Bye bye Neile Craig.
    12. Richmond - Again will struggle. Maybe top 8 2012.
    13. North Melbourne - Come on…really?
    14. Port Adelaide - No, no and no.
    15. Gold Coast - The toughest to judge. A new team cant burst onto the scene that well…Cant it?!
    16. West Coast - Either here, or lower.
    17. Brisbane - Fevola gone. No form. Doesn’t look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood
    St kilda
    Western Bulldogs
    Fremantle
    Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Carlton
    Sydney
    ---------
    Adelaide
    Melbourne
    Essendon
    Port Adelaide
    North Melbourne
    Richmond
    West Coast
    Gold Coast
    Brisbane
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

The top 3 and bottom 3 are pretty clear I reckon - Collingwood, WB & St Kilda up top, and West Coast, Brisbane & Gold Coast at the bottom.

I'm picking Melbourne, Essendon & North to improve, and Geelong, Hawthorn & Freo to fall.

Collingwood
    WB
    St Kilda
    Sydney
    Carlton
    Geelong
    Fremantle
    North Melbourne
    ---
    Hawthorn
    Melbourne
    Essendon
    Adelaide
    Port Adelaide
    Richmond
    West Coast
    Brisbane
    Gold Coast
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood - no reason to suggest they won't improve enough to stay on top.
    Bulldogs - well, I have to be optimistic....but I think we could have a better balanced side this year.
    St.Kilda - will still be mighty hard to toss.
    Geelong - Still a very good side.
    Hawthorn - lack a bit of class in the midfield at times...but will be strong.
    Fremantle - Will be hard to beat at home...still pretty young side.
    Carton - I think the sub rule will be favourable to them - lots of midfield depth.
    Sydney - Whether they are 5th through to 10th may depend on how many games Bradshaw gets on the park for.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Adelaide - quite like their young crop.
    Essendon - lots of pace...tipping they'll have a good start to the year.
    North Melb - If Petrie plays they will at least have an avenue to goal. Not bad Mids.
    Port Adelaide - think they will improve slightly.
    Melbourne - Exceeded expectations last year...think they will have a let down year.
    Richmond - still very young - but imrpoving.
    WCE - hard to see them winning outside of WA.
    Brisbane - Weak list - but older heads will get them over the line a few times.
    Gold Coast - Can't see them winning any games in the second half of the year....youthful exuberance might get them over the line 2 or 3 times at best.