Nth. Melbourne
    Gold Coast
    Brisbane
    West Coast
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 AFL Ladder Predictor

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Collingwood - no reason to suggest they won't improve enough to stay on top.
    Bulldogs - well, I have to be optimistic....but I think we could have a better balanced side this year.
    St.Kilda - will still be mighty hard to toss.
    Geelong - Still a very good side.
    Hawthorn - lack a bit of class in the midfield at times...but will be strong.
    Fremantle - Will be hard to beat at home...still pretty young side.
    Carton - I think the sub rule will be favourable to them - lots of midfield depth.
    Sydney - Whether they are 5th through to 10th may depend on how many games Bradshaw gets on the park for.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Adelaide - quite like their young crop.
    Essendon - lots of pace...tipping they'll have a good start to the year.
    North Melb - If Petrie plays they will at least have an avenue to goal. Not bad Mids.
    Port Adelaide - think they will improve slightly.
    Melbourne - Exceeded expectations last year...think they will have a let down year.
    Richmond - still very young - but imrpoving.
    WCE - hard to see them winning outside of WA.
    Brisbane - Weak list - but older heads will get them over the line a few times.
    Gold Coast - Can't see them winning any games in the second half of the year....youthful exuberance might get them over the line 2 or 3 times at best.
    Nice read Ozza. Good to see a bit of commentary as well. Like to expand a little on balance in our list ?- interested to know your view, not taking a pot shot. If some youngsters step up this season, I feel the balance will be ok. alot of things have to go right though. Challenging burden above their years falls to Jones and Grant. Youth may prevail. What's your view?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Nice work Ozza. Good to see a bit of commentary as well. Where do we lack balance? If some youngsters step up this season, I feel the balance will be ok. alot of things have to go right though. What's your view?
    Ozza did say that we will be better balanced this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read Ozza. Good to see a bit of commentary as well. Like to expand a little on balance in our list ?- interested to know your view, not taking a pot shot. If some youngsters step up this season, I feel the balance will be ok. alot of things have to go right though. Challenging burden above their years falls to Jones and Grant. Youth may prevail. What's your view?
    As Mantis pointed out - I think you may have just read my post incorrectly - as I was saying I believe we WILL be better balanced this year.

It's been a relatively common theme and fairly accepted that we lacked pace in the forward line last year - and we seem to have injected some with not only our recruits - but also the foreseeable improvements from both younger guys - and guys who will hopefully be injury free.

With Hahn, Johnno, Aker (for periods) and a half-rat-power-Higgins last year - we were a bit clunky down forward (for lack of a better term). I'm excited that we appear to have looked to directly address that.

I also think Williams looks to have improved enough since mid-last year to be seen as a genuine key back - not just the match up for the 3rd tall or similar - which may enable us to use Morris on some other dangerous forwards.

A fit Cooney in the midfield, and possibly having Higgins, Sherman and perhaps Wallis/Libba gives us some more midfield depth and takes some pressure off Boyd and Griffen who carried much of the load late in the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    As Mantis pointed out - I think you may have just read my post incorrectly - as I was saying I believe we WILL be better balanced this year.
    Ok, fair enough. so we are second on your prediction, and what are the main factors there. It's hard to see that pace will now be an issue.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Going to cheat a little and have a crack at this round 5:

Collingwood
    Western Bulldogs (still think we'll get it together - assumes we beat hawthorn!)
    Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Carlton
    Sydney
    Essendon
    Fremantle
    Adelaide (due to the draw only)
    St Kilda
    West Coast
    North Melbourne
    Richmond
    Melbourne
    Port Adelaide
    Brisbane
    Gold Coast

Post Thanks / Like

First time I have looked at this thread and am amazed so many have us 2nd on the ladder. I know it was before the season started but I just don't know what some posters have seen that I haven't. I didn't see anything in the pre season that would suggest any improvement in ladder position for this year.
    We need to take our rose coloured glasses off and take a reality pill. We are behind Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle & maybe Sydney. I would say we are definately better than Brisbane, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Richmond, North Melbourne, West Coast & thats it.

Post Thanks / Like

The top 7 spots are sewn up....

Collingwood
    Hawthorn
    Fremantle
    Essendon
    Geelong
    Carlton
    Sydney Swans

with only the order to be sorted out.

That leaves us in a dog fight with Adelaide, St Kilda, West Coast, Melbourne, and Richmond for 8th.

North, Brisbane, Port and Gold Coast can start planning for 2012.

My ladder predictor today has us sneaking into 8th with 10 wins, with the draw costing St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond, all finishing 2 points behind us (9 1/2 wins).
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    First time I have looked at this thread and am amazed so many have us 2nd on the ladder. I know it was before the season started but I just don't know what some posters have seen that I haven't. I didn't see anything in the pre season that would suggest any improvement in ladder position for this year.
    We need to take our rose coloured glasses off and take a reality pill. We are behind Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle & maybe Sydney. I would say we are definately better than Brisbane, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Richmond, North Melbourne, West Coast & thats it.
    Behind Carlton?? Not sure even Carlton supporters would agree.
    7 points behind Freo in WA .... big maybe with Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Behind Carlton?? Not sure even Carlton supporters would agree.
    7 points behind Freo in WA .... big maybe with Sydney.
    Absolutely we are.

I guess we will find Sydney soon enough

Post Thanks / Like

We win the next four games and we will sneak into the 8.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The likelihood of that happening is what... 100/1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The likelihood of that happening is what... 100/1?
    probably
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    And from there, be the first team to win it from 8th spot.

Picken to win the Brownlow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    And from there, be the first team to win it from 8th spot.

Picken to win the Brownlow.
    Panos for the Coleman. Bookmark it
    I should leave it alone but you're not right