Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs and Giants keen to form 'western' alliance

THE Western Bulldogs have revealed plans to build a strong and profitable partnership with Greater Western Sydney when the Giants join the AFL in 2012.

Bulldogs president David Smorgon said discussions had already begun over how the two ''western'' clubs, which share similar demographics, could best unite and tap into their markets.

One promising option on the agenda is dubbing their matches the ''western derbies'', which both clubs hope could eventually morph into traditional blockbusters.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''I think there are lots of opportunities to work with Greater Western Sydney, given we have got similar electorates,'' Smorgon said. ''We have already had discussions with them about sharing ideas.

''There are lots of ideas we may be able to share to grow our fan base and grow our membership base.

''Clearly we are years ahead of them but we need to grow and build our base in the western region.''

Smorgon said he was happy to help the fledgling club build a strong base in Sydney's blue-collar and multicultural western suburbs, just as the Bulldogs had done in Melbourne.

What will help the partnership is that Smorgon and Giants chairman Tony Shepherd, the chairman of ConnectEast Group, have a strong personal and business relationship.

Shepherd sought advice from Smorgon before accepting an offer to join the Sydney club. ''There are a lot of similarities between us and the Bulldogs. We are interested in talking to them about those opportunities,'' Shepherd said. ''Those special games and derbies are crowd pleasers.''

That there are now two clubs with the ''western'' brand has irked some Western Bulldogs supporters, who continue to contact media outlets in Melbourne pushing for the Bulldogs to again be branded as Footscray.

The Bulldogs made the name change before the start of the 1997 season. Smorgon, who has agreed to remain president for another three years, is adamant there won't be any change.

''I have heard it. I can assure you it ain't going to happen,'' he said.

''There are a couple of people involved, they won't give their names, we don't even know if they are members.

''I can assure you, I am being re-elected unopposed for three years and that's not on my platform.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...128-18cd5.html
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and Giants keen to form 'western' alliance

Western Derbies between us and GWS is ridiculous. Let's develop something with North if we want a genuine rivalry that the fans could get behind.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Western Derbies between us and GWS is ridiculous. Let's develop something with North if we want a genuine rivalry that the fans could get behind.
    Agree.

Why don't we have a 'western derby' with West Coast as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, i actually laughed pretty hard when i read that, i thought teams had to earn rivalries with performances against one another over a period of time, unless off course they come from the same state like a Port & Crows, Freo & West Coast.

Western vs Western, oh yeah..........

We actually have a small'ish rivaly with West Coast, not for the West name, but more so for the incidents that have taken place over time, the Danial Southern strangle hold on Sumich, the Libba on a young Cousins, the 3 defenders vs a young Gardiner.

Post Thanks / Like

North could not fill Arden Street, lets form a rivlary with St Kilda or Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

What a load of crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    North could not fill Arden Street, lets form a rivlary with St Kilda or Essendon
    Or Geelong.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Or Geelong.
    That would be good. However, in order for it to become a rivalry we'd actually have to beat them at least once in a game that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

If a rivalry happens from us beating someone in a grandfinal then I'm prepared to welcome it

Post Thanks / Like

You can't manufacture a rivalry and whilst I embrace working with GWS to develop mutually beneficial marketing strategies, the concept of rivalry games with GWS is simply farcical.

It would be safe to assume that a natural rivalry will develop between GWS and Sydney and their focus would be best served baiting their local opposition.

Should Kevin Sheedy happen to drop into a press conference anytime between now and the start of the 2012 that he backs up Akers comments about his thoughts on the Bulldogs, cue the start of the campaign from the Marketing Department
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 29-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any precendent for clubs sharing information on marketing or other matters?
    Seems a bit odd to me.
    The AFL is in danger of oversaturation as it is. When every match becomes a grudge match, a derby or a clash between old rivals ( supposed or otherwise ) do we really care anymore?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Or Geelong.
    Yes of course

Post Thanks / Like

The term 'Western Derby' is used in WA for the Freo v Eagles games ... In fact, I'm pretty sure it has been trademarked as well (CUB put it all over their Carlton Mid cans in the lead up to the games).
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Look, my initial reaction was the same as most posters here, but Smorgon has been good for us with different initiatives, and I feel that we should give him the benefit of the doubt before dumping all over the initiative.

After all, I'm sure things are just in brainstorm stage at this point, where nothing should be ruled out and it's really about generating ideas. Smorgon's personal relationship with the GWS president should also not be ruled out as it has a lot of potential value -- anything that gets our brand in front of eyeballs in a positive capacity can only be a good thing, and Sheeds will no doubt put the game front of mind through the media if it ever gets up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Look, my initial reaction was the same as most posters here, but Smorgon has been good for us with different initiatives, and I feel that we should give him the benefit of the doubt before dumping all over the initiative.
    This is probably better discussed in another thread but I would challenge the view that we have been good with marketing initiatives particularly making them stick.

Based on the information we have, and if we have a lack of it then that's the clubs issue with communication again, the notion of forming a rivalry with a newly formed club that is still 12 months away from entering the competition is in my opinion one that smacks of a weak attempt to follow more naturally traditional rivalries.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"