Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and Giants keen to form 'western' alliance

I don't mind the concept of working with GWS, however I agree with the general consensus in this thread that holding a 'western derby' isn't the most exciting idea about, although if it helps continue our exposure in the Sydney and Canberra markets somehow, then it can't be a bad thing.

I don't think it would ever become our 'main' rivalry.

Post Thanks / Like

What a complete idiotic idea. So it would be the east coast western derby? Pathetic.

I would rather continue to try to develop a rivalry with North Melbourne and/or St. Kilda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    What a complete idiotic idea. So it would be the east coast western derby? Pathetic.

I would rather continue to try to develop a rivalry with North Melbourne and/or St. Kilda.
    Don't we have a rivalry with all teams.
    I've never left a losing game and thought "Oh well we lost to (insert name) but that bis OK it wasn't (insert name)".
    I love beating every team and hate losing to everyside in the competition equally, as we all should.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is probably better discussed in another thread but I would challenge the view that we have been good with marketing initiatives particularly making them stick.
    Gary, you know that I have been one of the most vocal critics of our marketing initiatives in the past, so you're preaching to the choir. I just felt like giving them a break -- we have come a long way in the past ten years, and maybe I've been harsh in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a way to keep Vlad and his crew happy. Talk up the GWS team at every opportunity. If people are talking about it then the AFL are happy. Can't hurt to keep the people that write the cheques on your good side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Western Derbies between us and GWS is ridiculous. Let's develop something with North if we want a genuine rivalry that the fans could get behind.
    Actually I disagree. We share considerably more in common with GWS than we do with the Chardonnay set of WCE. Its a new team, set up a rivalry, make our suporters love to stick it up the Western Usurpers each time we beat them and let the media continue to say "its another Western Derby between the WB and GWS......". It can only be a good thing!

To say we don't need another rivalry is naive. Football is built on rivalry. Its what creates blockbuster games and with blockbuster games comes high media exposure and with high media exposure comes corporate sponsorships.

The Kangaroos proved in the 90's that you can have the most successful team going, but if you don't tap into the Corporate Sponsorship and develop those big games which everyone talks about then you are left eating the scraps of the competition.....personally, if the Kangas see out the next 10 years as a stand alone club based in Melbourne I will be very surprised!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Actually I disagree. We share considerably more in common with GWS than we do with the Chardonnay set of WCE. Its a new team, set up a rivalry, make our suporters love to stick it up the Western Usurpers each time we beat them and let the media continue to say "its another Western Derby between the WB and GWS......". It can only be a good thing!

To say we don't need another rivalry is naive. Football is built on rivalry. Its what creates blockbuster games and with blockbuster games comes high media exposure and with high media exposure comes corporate sponsorships.

The Kangaroos proved in the 90's that you can have the most successful team going, but if you don't tap into the Corporate Sponsorship and develop those big games which everyone talks about then you are left eating the scraps of the competition.....personally, if the Kangas see out the next 10 years as a stand alone club based in Melbourne I will be very surprised!
    IMHO to suggest that we can manipulate and manufacture the rivalry with GWS is naive.

I would love the Bulldogs to have one and profit from it however the simply fact that people are talking about us developing one with GWS is an immediate turn off for me, rivalries have to develop organically, unless of course we want to turn our game into a WWE event.

Over the years I believe we have had a rolling list of rivalries that have added spice to either next season or the next encounter and each of them have been as result of incidents that incite emotions in both the players and supporters, that has then been further backup up by media coverage and coaches comments.

Examples that come to mind for me include;

• North and The Barry Hall incident
    • Richmond with Terry as first year coach, The knights bloodbath
    • Brisbane and the Lynch Choker taunt
    • Adelaide and Darren F^%&* Jarman (not to mention the two other things)
    • Sydney and the Paul Kelly incident and not mention cheering when Libba did his Knee, or that thug they had at full forward who belted Grant behind play.

If none of these incidents have developed an enduring rivalry, simply telling me that I have to hate GWS because they have Western in their name doesn't cut it for mine
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 02-12-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be to stop them poaching our players!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Might be to stop them poaching our players!
    You know what, if they do, it would be one way of getting the emotion required for a rivalry (ie. piss all of us off).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    You know what, if they do, it would be one way of getting the emotion required for a rivalry (ie. piss all of us off).
    True - they can stay away, losing Harbrow bad enough.... dont trust Sheeds.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i've allways hated the GWS Giants, ever since...ummm...ever since...umm...yeah! Boo!

Post Thanks / Like

"Partnership" with a club I want to see fail and think will do just that, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know who the Twit at the club is that 1st suggested this crap

Post Thanks / Like

Bump - How's this "alliance" looking now??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bump - How's this "alliance" looking now??
    Pretty healthy behind the scenes, it would seem.