Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and Giants keen to form 'western' alliance

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    That would be good. However, in order for it to become a rivalry we'd actually have to beat them at least once in a game that matters.
    They have beaten us in every final I can remember starting with 1976 through to 2009
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    IMHO to suggest that we can manipulate and manufacture the rivalry with GWS is naive.

I would love the Bulldogs to have one and profit from it however the simply fact that people are talking about us developing one with GWS is an immediate turn off for me, rivalries have to develop organically,

Examples that come to mind for me include;

• North and The Barry Hall incident
    • Richmond with Terry as first year coach, The knights bloodbath
    • Brisbane and the Lynch Choker taunt
    • Adelaide and Darren F^%&* Jarman (not to mention the two other things)
    • Sydney and the Paul Kelly incident and not mention cheering when Libba did his Knee, or that thug they had at full forward who belted Grant behind play.

If none of these incidents have developed an enduring rivalry, simply telling me that I have to hate GWS because they have Western in their name doesn't cut it for mine
    Couldn't agree more with this response to FredK's comment although obviously the OP itself has to do with a partnership rather than the manufacturing of a rivalry. GWS are organically on their way with the poaching of Ward. The suggestion of manufacturing rivalry is a ludicrous concept that only marketing consultants could conjur up.

Add Carlton and St Kilda to your list, sure there's more.
    [*] Carlton and John Elliott's "Tragic History" rant. Actually this one still riles me coming from this cheating mob.
    [*] St Kilda and Riewoldt's dive in the prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't a "rivalry" match something other supporters from other teams would want to watch?? Eg the Hawthorne v Geelong games? Who in their right mind would want to watch a Dogs v Giants game if you didn't support either team? The first one with Picken v Ward might be worth a look but past that could have most football fans reaching for the remote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Isn't a "rivalry" match something other supporters from other teams would want to watch?? Eg the Hawthorne v Geelong games? Who in their right mind would want to watch a Dogs v Giants game if you didn't support either team? The first one with Picken v Ward might be worth a look but past that could have most football fans reaching for the remote.
    Based on Bobby Murphy's article this week, our players feel sorry for their 'little brother' Cal so I doubt there is going to be any real malice when we play them.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Based on Bobby Murphy's article this week, our players feel sorry for their 'little brother' Cal so I doubt there is going to be any real malice when we play them.
    You are right, Picken always takes it easy on his opponents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    You are right, Picken always takes it easy on his opponents.
    He'll go to Scully, anyway.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we will see some newer blood line up on him? Someone like Libba?