Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Higgins over health struggles

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Shaun Higgins is looking to leave 2010 behind him after finally overcoming a five-month battle with thyroiditis.

The 22-year-old missed the Dogs' semi- and preliminary finals because the debilitating illness had hampered his contribution in the qualifying final loss to Collingwood.

However, Higgins returned a clear blood test two weeks ago; his first since his August diagnosis.

"I feel a lot better in myself, as good as I've felt in a long time and running well so everything is on track and going nicely," he told afl.com.au before the Dogs' pre-season training trip to New Zealand.

"It was a tough situation and I personally didn't know anything about it. Not a lot of people my age get that sort of illness.

"It was one of those things and it will probably never happen again."

It was in the middle of the season that Higgins noticed a lack of energy and greater fatigue, but put it down to the usual demands on his body.

Dramatic weight loss and a rising heart rate ahead of the finals saw him sent for blood tests and put on supplements to regulate his pulse.

"We didn't know exactly what way to go about it or what needed to be done," he said.

"It was just something that flared up because of a few reasons, when you get run down or you're carrying other injuries.

"I probably just needed some time off, which I was able to get at the end of the season for it to really help itself."

Higgins hurt his calf in round 20 against Geelong, but the illness had a greater bearing on him being sidelined for the next two rounds.

He returned to the top level via the VFL but struggled to find energy in the final against the Magpies.

Even after the Dogs bowed out of the premiership race, Higgins didn't feel quite right.

It seems a trip to the USA with his girlfriend and teammates and a few weeks back in training has been the remedy.

He has gained eight kilos since the middle of the year and has his sights on the NAB Cup competition and round one.

"It's amazing how quickly you can turn the corner," Higgins said.

"It was so frustrating because it wasn't really a football injury and you don't know where you're at.

"You do an ankle and you know the time frame of when you'll come back.

"But it's one of those things that happens. I'll continue to have blood tests and hopefully I can carry this fitness into next season and things will start to turn around for me."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...1/default.aspx
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Higgins over health struggles

It is so easy to forget how good players are. A fit and firing Higgins is a massive, massive plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news.
    A fit Higgins and Ward are imperative to our 2011 campaign.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

8 kilos is a massive amount of weight to gain. He must have been absolutely running on empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. He was my pick for our next captain this time last year. It's amazing what some injuries and sickness can do. Cmon Higgo, show us what your made of.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard good reports about Shaun in regard to his training thus far.

Even though he has put on 8kg it hasn't effected his running and posted a PB just recently in the TT.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news - a fit and firing Higgins will bring so much to our team. We missed him heaps this year IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have heard good reports about Shaun in regard to his training thus far.

Even though he has put on 8kg it hasn't effected his running and posted a PB just recently in the TT.
    Did he not lose 8kg? I'm confused now…

Post Thanks / Like

Phew. My face went for a worried, uncertain about his future look to relief. Read it as "Higgins health struggles"...don't ask me how.

Good to hear he's up for a big year next

Post Thanks / Like

I initially read it as "Higgins over health struggles", as in, "he's, like, so over it!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I initially read it as "Higgins over health struggles", as in, "he's, like, so over it!"
    I reckon he might have been that as well, just quietly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    It is so easy to forget how good players are. A fit and firing Higgins is a massive, massive plus.
    True - our footskills let us down at times and we forget how good a finisher he is.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Did he not lose 8kg? I'm confused now…
    Lost weight due to illness during the year, I read the article as saying he put it back on.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I believe a fit & Healthy Higgins will almost be like getting a " Recruit of Year"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    IMHO, I believe a fit & Healthy Higgins will almost be like getting a " Recruit of Year"
    If he can stay fit.

Higgins is my favourite player but he hasn't had a full season fit to date.