Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  178
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 22 - Luke Dahlhaus

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I love the look on his face. Have a go if you think you're hard enough, but I'm gonna win.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be leading the B&F, sneaky on Brownlow voting too I'd guess. Everything's coming up Dahlhaus.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFL trade news: Geelong considers bold play for Western Bulldogs’ Luke Dahlhaus at end of 2018

GEELONG is considering making a bold play for Western Bulldogs playmaker Luke Dahlhaus at season’s end.

The Dogs remain confident the unrestricted free agent will ink a new deal after eight years of service, but the lurking Cats are the frontrunners if Dahlhaus decides to pursue other options.

The Cats, who had Dahlhaus to pre-season training 10 years ago before he was drafted, have been keeping a close eye on the 25 year-old, who is one of five free agents at the Dogs this year.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Western Bulldogs’ preference is to sign the 2016 premiership player to a short-term contract, although a substantial rival offer could alter the goalposts at Whitten Oval and force their hand.

Dahlhaus is in the last year of a significantly front-ended deal he signed in early 2015. It’s believed he sits outside the top 25 per cent of earners at the club, meaning he can walk to a club of his choice at the end of 2018, even if the Dogs match the offer.

Dahlhaus, Patrick Dangerfield’s second cousin, has strong links to the Geelong region, having played TAC Cup at Mick Turner’s football factory and at Leopold in the Geelong Football League as a teenager.

He played all 22 games last year but finished outside the top 10 of the Western Bulldogs best and fairest for the first time since 2011.
    He is yet to set the world alight this season statistically, averaging 22.8 touches and 2.4 inside 50s per game. His score involvements are at the lowest level since his debut season in 2011, as are his score assists.

But industry sources still believe Dahlhaus is worth paying good dollars for — potentially upwards of $600,000 per season — and remains a player who can find the ball, use it well, and applies good pressure.

The ball-winner said he was keen to remain a Dog recently.
    “My manager (Peter Lenton) and the club are still in talks, and it’s going to take a little time to get things done,” Dahlhaus said in April.

“But in saying that, the club is like my family now. I’ve been here eight years and I love it so much, so this is where I want to finish and play for the rest of my days.”

As reported by Foxfooty.com.au earlier this season, the Bulldogs floated Dahlhaus in a trade to several clubs last October.
    Perhaps Dahlhaus’ best attribute is his durability, having missed just six games since 2012.

Tom Liberatore and Dale Morris are also unrestricted free agents, while Mitch Wallis and Jordan Roughead are on the restricted list.
    The Bulldogs take on Collingwood this Friday night.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Geelong want to pay Dahl $600k plus a season for a multi-year deal, I thank him for his service, wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him come back in 2026 for the premiership reunion.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Topdog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL trade news: Geelong considers bold play for Western Bulldogs’ Luke Dahlhaus at end of 2018

GEELONG is considering making a bold play for Western Bulldogs playmaker Luke Dahlhaus at season’s end.

The Dogs remain confident the unrestricted free agent will ink a new deal after eight years of service, but the lurking Cats are the frontrunners if Dahlhaus decides to pursue other options.

The Cats, who had Dahlhaus to pre-season training 10 years ago before he was drafted, have been keeping a close eye on the 25 year-old, who is one of five free agents at the Dogs this year.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Western Bulldogs’ preference is to sign the 2016 premiership player to a short-term contract, although a substantial rival offer could alter the goalposts at Whitten Oval and force their hand.

Dahlhaus is in the last year of a significantly front-ended deal he signed in early 2015. It’s believed he sits outside the top 25 per cent of earners at the club, meaning he can walk to a club of his choice at the end of 2018, even if the Dogs match the offer.

Dahlhaus, Patrick Dangerfield’s second cousin, has strong links to the Geelong region, having played TAC Cup at Mick Turner’s football factory and at Leopold in the Geelong Football League as a teenager.

He played all 22 games last year but finished outside the top 10 of the Western Bulldogs best and fairest for the first time since 2011.
    He is yet to set the world alight this season statistically, averaging 22.8 touches and 2.4 inside 50s per game. His score involvements are at the lowest level since his debut season in 2011, as are his score assists.

But industry sources still believe Dahlhaus is worth paying good dollars for — potentially upwards of $600,000 per season — and remains a player who can find the ball, use it well, and applies good pressure.

The ball-winner said he was keen to remain a Dog recently.
    “My manager (Peter Lenton) and the club are still in talks, and it’s going to take a little time to get things done,” Dahlhaus said in April.

“But in saying that, the club is like my family now. I’ve been here eight years and I love it so much, so this is where I want to finish and play for the rest of my days.”

As reported by Foxfooty.com.au earlier this season, the Bulldogs floated Dahlhaus in a trade to several clubs last October.
    Perhaps Dahlhaus’ best attribute is his durability, having missed just six games since 2012.

Tom Liberatore and Dale Morris are also unrestricted free agents, while Mitch Wallis and Jordan Roughead are on the restricted list.
    The Bulldogs take on Collingwood this Friday night.

I'm sorry, is there another Luke Dahlhaus on our list I'm unaware of?

Love him to bits but he's the poster boy for killing himself to get it then pissing it away in an instant.

If we could exchange him for a reliably better user who'd be in our top 6-8 picked I'd do it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I love Dahl & he’s been a fabric type personality around the club from all reports but it does seem like he’s not as jacked in to the cause like previous years and it’s coinciding with average on field influence.

He is probably the worst kick of any player getting serious game time in the AFL, and it actually hurts us whenever he has the ball in the 30-60m arc in our forward half because he just can’t use it well enough to take advantage (either through set shot kicking or finding a better target inside 50).

If he got offered better money and we were to receive good compensation, it could be a win-win.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I floated this over the last month. Even if they offered what Port did for Motlop its pick 19 in a super draft. God help us, they offer $600,000+ on 4 years, the James Frawley precedent is us with at our pick first round compo.

I'm not sure the club wants to sign him at all costs. A short term contract is us saying we want him, but our low years offer allows him to listen to offers. If there's a chase for him that gets us another first rounder by it pick 6 or 19, worst 24 (assuming we finish 14th) in a super draft. I love Dahl, but the last super draft in 1999 was outstanding for us, so more picks is a good result. I don't want to necessarily see him go, but as the posts above, if we get a good compo pick and Dahl gets more money and years then it's win-win.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I hope he stays.
    Ditto.

What ever compo we get is no guarantee to be a player (see Webb, the compo we got for Higgins who just won a B&F) and there's a huge chance the compo pick will be used up by Rhylee West anyway so we effectively lose Dahlhaus for whatever deficit we'd take in 2019.

Dahlhaus is worth more to us than a ~10 pick downgrade in the 20s in the 2019 draft. We're not exactly flush with running players and who's next to fill the breach if he goes? You'd have to say Mitch Honeychurch who, for all his dedication, is a class below Dahl.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ditto.

What ever compo we get is no guarantee to be a player (see Webb, the compo we got for Higgins who just won a B&F) and there's a huge chance the compo pick will be used up by Rhylee West anyway so we effectively lose Dahlhaus for whatever deficit we'd take in 2019.

Dahlhaus is worth more to us than a ~10 pick downgrade in the 20s in the 2019 draft. We're not exactly flush with running players and who's next to fill the breach if he goes? You'd have to say Mitch Honeychurch who, for all his dedication, is a class below Dahl.
    Ditto and Ditto
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I love Dahl & he’s been a fabric type personality around the club from all reports but it does seem like he’s not as jacked in to the cause like previous years and it’s coinciding with average on field influence.

He is probably the worst kick of any player getting serious game time in the AFL, and it actually hurts us whenever he has the ball in the 30-60m arc in our forward half because he just can’t use it well enough to take advantage (either through set shot kicking or finding a better target inside 50).

If he got offered better money and we were to receive good compensation, it could be a win-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I hope he stays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ditto.

Ditto and Ditto
    So even if Comrades views are accurate are you all happy for him to stay even if he isn't fully committing?

I'd love him to get back on track but say a 90% commitment level isn't anywhere near enough for me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say I reckon he’s cruised since 2016
    Not worth 600 a year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So even if Comrades views are accurate are you all happy for him to stay even if he isn't fully committing?

I'd love him to get back on track but say a 90% commitment level isn't anywhere near enough for me.
    I think the commitment question was certainly valid last year - not sure bout 2018.

Prefer he stays *if* committed...which from my outside view, he appears to be this year.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Ask me again at the end of the season. That's what everyone else seems to be doing.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

That's a very tenuous hypothetical.
    a. That he isn't committing now, and
    b. He won't commit again in the future.

In any case I'd argue that current Dahlhaus is playing better football than current Webb, the last time we used a compo pick.

Has any club used their FA compo pick and found a comparable or better player?
    Melbourne's freebie for James Frawley was Brawshaw who has played good football, that's about it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers