Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  178
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 22 - Luke Dahlhaus

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The majority of the things said in this thread regarding Hooper address realistic problems he has. Hooper is tiny, doesn't appear to have the evasive ability of a Harbrow to compensate, is likely to be exposed if played down back due to lack of size and at the moment looks to be limited to one position, for which he hasn't shown major indications of being able to excel at at a higher level.

Whilst these things aren't positive, they are all true. The only negative post is where someone says they have zero faith in him making it as an AFL player.

Hooper has had to work his arse off to make it this far, which he deserves a lot of credit for. Whether it was the right decision to give him 2 years, and whether he will actually come on as we all hope is yet to be seen, however we should be free to point out his deficiencies, as these are the areas that may hold him back. If that's negativity then the only thing we a re permitted to do on here is talk about how promising the youngsters all are, start up societies worshipping beards and perform virtual high 5's every time something good happens.
    Very well said. People often mistaken non positive comments with being negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Interesting to see who's keeping up with who in the lap work stuff.

Great to see Howard, Wallis, Wood and even Panos (much maligned for his large rear end) up there with Boyd and co.

On the other end of the pack (the big men), Grant, Roughead and Jones back with Minson.

Of course we know nothing about this particular activity and it is pure speculative but you would assume that whoever is keeping up with Boyd, Gia, is doing well, and if you struggling to beat Minson then you probably not doing so well.
    The running is normally done in 2 or 3 seperate groups and from what I have seen it isn't a race more an even tempo run.

And if you are worried about a few of our big guys struggling to beat Will, what do you say about a couple of our mid-sized recruits who are in the same running group?... Assuming that every one is of course at full fitness.

Post Thanks / Like

The majority of the things said in this thread regarding Hooper address realistic problems he has.

Whilst these things aren't positive, they are all true.

I learned a new expression in Thai the other day. True but not right, right but not true.

Hooper is tiny, doesn't appear to have the evasive ability of a Harbrow to compensate, is likely to be exposed if played down back due to lack of size .

Firstly, you wouldn't play him down back. Diesel Williams, Libba, Medhurst.
    You wouldn't have played any of these players down back either.

There are advantages to being a Harbrow re-bounder. But he was pretty easily pushed off a tackle as well.

the moment looks to be limited to one position, for which he hasn't shown major indications of being able to excel at at a higher level. .
    Um. Maybe. How would he not be in the team if he had not shown indications of having potential to excel in AFL?
    The way AFL clubs analyze players these days , hard to see how he doesn't have a fair chance of being able to make a contribution.

Anyway, Luke Dahlhaus is feeling neglected.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 13-12-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

My point was that these "negative" comments about Hooper are all justified and reasonable. I actually think he does have a decent chance of making it, but I dont have high expectations.

Dalhous certainly seems to have some of the attributes we would like, hopefully he comes on.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to point out that I agree with those who say Hooper has no chance of playing well in defence. My comments are based on him playing as a forward.

Anyway back to Mr Dahlhaus.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know when the rookies will join training at WO?
    Luke would have to be close to training already being a Vic kid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I recall a good player at Geelong West in the 80s called Mark Dahlhaus.

I'm thinking that Mark may be Luke's father.

Anyone have any info on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GetDimmaBack View Post

Only that Luke was recruited from Geelong Falcons and it's not a comon surname. There is a fair chance they are related I reckon.

In telstra white pages there is a M and L Dahlhaus listed in Leoplold. Could they be them?

Post Thanks / Like

Desipura poseted the following in the Rookie selection thread:

'From inside footy:
    Luke's dad won 2 Mathieson Medals (Geelong footy league B & F's) He recorded the best mobility test in Australia at 7.74 and he's got great speed to match. "He's one of those small forwards/onabller types who would fit the bill of a club looking for a quick forward."
    Falcons Mgr Michael Turner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Only that Luke was recruited from Geelong Falcons and it's not a comon surname. There is a fair chance they are related I reckon.

In telstra white pages there is a M and L Dahlhaus listed in Leoplold. Could they be them?
    Certainly an uncommon surname. Probably is Mark's son.

Anyone else remember Mark from the old VFA days?

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly an uncommon surname. Probably is Mark's son.

Anyone else remember Mark from the old VFA days?

Joe Radojavic(?) is the only Geelong West player I can remember. Star full forward who kicked a couple of tons but played in an era when Fred Cook and Frosty Miller were the dominant full forwards in the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the video link. He's got a way to go but loved his goal snaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought i would bump this and see what us fans think of him now.
    As I have stated in another thread, Jordan McMahon look alike but has footy smarts.
    He seems to have quick hands in packs like Tom Liberatore.
    He is a very low player, by this I mean his hands and feet seem very close and he gets boot to ball very quickly, also looks for options very well, doesnt seem to kick the ball but put it on his foot which is great for precision kicking.
    Due to this he will never be a long kick but always accurate.
    Summed up this kid has the attributes, talent and enthusiasm to become a great footballer.
    Over the years I have watched players play their first game and you just know they are the bees knees.
    A fan favourite for many years I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just thought i would bump this and see what us fans think of him now.
    As I have stated in another thread, Jordan McMahon look alike but has footy smarts.
    He seems to have quick hands in packs like Tom Liberatore.
    He is a very low player, by this I mean his hands and feet seem very close and he gets boot to ball very quickly, also looks for options very well, doesnt seem to kick the ball but put it on his foot which is great for precision kicking.
    Due to this he will never be a long kick but always accurate.
    Summed up this kid has the attributes, talent and enthusiasm to become a great footballer.
    Over the years I have watched players play their first game and you just know they are the bees knees.
    A fan favourite for many years I would think.
    Only slight knock at the moment on his game, Needs to work on his tackle a bit. Tends to end up around people's hips rather than trap an arm. Minor point.
    A little pocket warrior who loves a goal celebration. And we need that pep. Going to chase down quite a few opponents as being smaller, he tends to get in the blind spot well and is deceptively fast. Great selection. Thanks Geelong Falcons
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Forget second efforts with this kid. I'm loving his fourth and fifth efforts. His energy is really great for the team at the moment too. Can't really throw any down sides out on a kid who has played only three games, that he won't learn from experience.