Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Instant charmer: Hall has power to help Giants leap into action

Michael Cowley
    December 23, 2010

GREATER Western Sydney stunned many Swans fans last year by signing the club's former inspirational skipper Paul Kelly to their staff - now they are considering chasing Sydney's 2005 premiership captain, Barry Hall, for their inaugural season in the AFL.

Hall is contracted to the Western Bulldogs for next year, and when he signed the two-year deal at the end of 2009, even he thought that would be the end of his colourful football career. But after finishing second in the Coleman Medal, booting 80 goals and leading the Dogs past the Swans in their semi-final this year, Hall, despite turning 35 in early 2012, has shown he could have another season at the top level in him.

The drawback is his age, which doesn't fit the profile of players the Giants are said to be targeting. But one major factor in his favour is his high profile in Sydney, a point conceded by GWS chief executive Dale Holmes.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Unlike many superstars in the game, Hall is instantly recognisable in Sydney to both AFL and non-AFL supporters. He spent eight seasons in Sydney and captained the Swans to a drought-breaking premiership victory in 2005. He also infamously saturated news bulletins in 2008 with his left hook to West Coast's Brent Staker.

Only a few of the game's current elite - including Gary Ablett, Chris Judd, Buddy Franklin and Adam Goodes - would be a chance to be immediately recognised on a Sydney street. Hall belongs in that category and given the Giants paid about $4 million to punt on Israel Folau's athletic ability and marketability, Hall could be a bargain.

''As always we are just not going to comment specifically around uncontracted players,'' Holmes said when asked if the Giants were interested in Hall. ''We've got Graeme Allen and Stephen Silvagni, who head up our list construction, working on the types of players we want to look at from an uncontracted point of view.''

But Holmes agreed Hall's profile in Sydney could make him more attractive to the club. ''There is no doubt that Barry's profile in this market is as big as anyone who has been involved in the game up here,'' Holmes said. ''That's a bonus, but essentially what's paramount in the consideration is how does that complement your list construction strategy.''

Because of that profile, Hall could also be an asset to the club post-football in a variety of coaching and marketing roles, and both the Swans and Bulldogs have noted how well he works with their younger players.

While they have secured Folau, the Giants have missed out on another target, West Coast's Nic Naitanui, who recently re-signed with the Eagles. But several talented players who come off contract at the end of next year have reportedly been targeted.

Collingwood's Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury are on the radar, but the Pies are confident of retaining both. Carlton's Marc Murphy is apparently another, but the Blues say he won't be going anywhere. Others touted as potential Giants are Geelong pair Joel Selwood and Jimmy Bartel and Brisbane youngster Daniel Rich.

But even if the club decides to go after Hall, loyalty to the Bulldogs - who gave him a second chance and signed him after he re-signed from the Swans midway through 2009 - could be the major obstacle to any prospective deal. ''Barry is signed for 2011 with the Western Bulldogs, and he isn't looking beyond next season,'' Hall's manager Phil Mullen said.

''The Dogs have been very good to Hally and he's very happy there, and I would imagine if it got to the point where he is considering going around for another season in 2012, I couldn't see him playing anywhere else if the Bulldogs still wanted him.''

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Instant charmer: Hall has power to help Giants leap into action

They'd better stay away from Bazza!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Hands off Bazza !!!
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If we decided that 2011 would be Hall's last season and If GWS taking him would mean that they wouldn't have access to any of our other out of contract players and we'd get compensation for someone that was otherwise going to retire then it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Main thing would be the assumption that we wouldn't be planning on signing him for 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather lose Hall than Ward, Higgins etc.

This should be Hall's last season coming up with Jones, Grant and maybe Cordy ready to fill his shoes after he's gone so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Plus getting a compo pick(no matter how crappy it is) for a player who was going to retire would be nice.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    If we decided that 2011 would be Hall's last season and If GWS taking him would mean that they wouldn't have access to any of our other out of contract players and we'd get compensation for someone that was otherwise going to retire then it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Main thing would be the assumption that we wouldn't be planning on signing him for 2012.
    My initial reaction was, "Over My Dead Body!" but that is a fair point.

As an aside, Bazza might not be interested in playing another season after 2011 though, especially if he has the opportunity to go out on a high after we win the premiership next year (....a girl can dream, can't she?? ).
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would rather lose Hall than Ward, Higgins etc.

This should be Hall's last season coming up with Jones, Grant and maybe Cordy ready to fill his shoes after he's gone so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Plus getting a compo pick(no matter how crappy it is) for a player who was going to retire would be nice.
    Good point Chef - my initial reaction was "Nooooooo" but I can see the sense in your post! If he is going to retire in 2012, and GWS want him, then ....okay!

Post Thanks / Like

They can have as many as our 34+ years old players as they want.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hall would be such an asset at our club beyond his playing days. His sheer presence, his nous, his marketability and yes the respect the football world has for him add so much to the club. Above all his ability to influence and teach our younger forwards is irreplaceable. Ex-forwards of his calibre and experience are expensive in the marketplace and are normally obtained through loyalty.
    A club or even a nation's sport can be measured by the ex greats who pay back by teaching the next generation.
    Greater Western Sydney, hands off!

Post Thanks / Like

trade him to Hawthorn for a 1st rounder

Post Thanks / Like

No they want Cooney for Carl Petersen and our first rounder .

Post Thanks / Like

Sick of the idea that GWS is playing in 2012 already, they are going around dropping names like Natanui, Swan and co, now Hall. Cannot see any attraction for the younger players to move there..and I really hope they fail and the AFL has egg all over its face. Cannot see them winning a premiership before 2020, no matter what big name they end up landing. They'll be the cellar dwellers like Carlton were for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Sick of the idea that GWS is playing in 2012 already, they are going around dropping names like Natanui, Swan and co, now Hall. Cannot see any attraction for the younger players to move there..and I really hope they fail and the AFL has egg all over its face. Cannot see them winning a premiership before 2020, no matter what big name they end up landing. They'll be the cellar dwellers like Carlton were for many years to come.
    ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    ????
    Theyll just be there to make up numbers in the bottom 8 (like Carlton did from 2002-2008)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Theyll just be there to make up numbers in the bottom 8 (like Carlton did from 2002-2008)
    They are going to put together a very good side that will take about 5 years to peak IMO. There is no way the AFL will let them just make the numbers, they need them to be competitive.
    The curse is dead.