Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Lighter Lake seeks longevity

WESTERN Bulldogs full-back Brian Lake has dropped six kilos in the hope a new playing weight can take the stress off his knee and hips and prolong his AFL career.

Lake underwent knee, hip and shoulder surgery after the Dogs' preliminary final loss to St Kilda and has spent most of the pre-season in rehabilitation.

However, time away from training has allowed him to focus on becoming a more mobile player in 2011.

"I've pressed the reset button on my body and I can start again," Lake told afl.com.au.

"I'm 28 years old ... so I've got another good six years left, I hope.

"I haven't sat down with the fitness staff yet to work out the best playing weight for the knee and hips, but it will be less than I've been playing with."

In an irritation similar to that suffered in his right hip in 2008, Lake's left hip flared against West Coast in round 13.

Bony growths were eventually shaved from the joint to alleviate the discomfort, but not before Lake played out the season with periodic pain.

He also hurt his right knee in the lead-up to the finals, and jarred his shoulder in a collision with teammate Tom Williams in the qualifying final loss to Collingwood.

"I didn't train much [in September]. When you're playing, you don't worry about it (injury) too much because you've got so much going on," he said.

"During the week it wasn't too much fun, not being able to walk around and stuff like that, but you've got to push through these things at finals time.

"It would have been a different story if we weren't playing finals; you'd go and have it fixed up straight away but when you're trying to push for that premiership, you'll do anything to get out there."

Lake had knee surgery in grand final week and holidayed in the US while his lower body recovered for the hip operation.

"Things usually come in threes so I was waiting for something else and then the shoulder came up," he said.

"I got back into training and it was still sore, and because of the leg injuries I was really relying on the upper body.

"We had it scanned and there was a fair bit of damage so we had that done straight away."

Lake was surprised to learn his bicep tendon had also frayed; an unusual discovery given the impact injury to his shoulder.

However, with no setbacks leading into the Christmas break, Lake will start running next month.

"The body is not feeling too bad at the moment," he said.

"The shoulder is out of the sling and I'm getting it moving and it's responding well.

"The plan is to run mid-January and hopefully it's a bit earlier than that. My plan is for round one so it's a matter of the medical staff giving me the tick off.

"I think I've had all my bad luck for this year."

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...4/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lighter Lake seeks longevity

Bloody hell, he's falling apart (or was!)...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Bloody hell, he's falling apart (or was!)...
    Ha ha, ..thankfully his best asset, his brain is still functioning..except for the fades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Ha ha, ..thankfully his best asset, his brain is still functioning..except for the fades.
    Brian's Brain fades are only because he is looking for a telephone box.
    Go SUPERMAN.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Brian's Brain fades are only because he is looking for a telephone box.
    Go SUPERMAN.
    Very well said. Even Superman can have moments of distraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Players a bit older than Brian often drop the weight to make sure they don't lose a step or two in pace. Any chance Brian is losing the weight too early on in his career?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Players a bit older than Brian often drop the weight to make sure they don't lose a step or two in pace. Any chance Brian is losing the weight too early on in his career?
    I don't think so.

With the new 'sub' rule coming in we are going to see more players rotating on the ground which may mean Brian (and other defenders) will have different player types to deal with and having an increased fitness base & mobility will no doubt help him deal with these challenges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't think so.

With the new 'sub' rule coming in we are going to see more players rotating on the ground which may mean Brian (and other defenders) will have different player types to deal with and having an increased fitness base & mobility will no doubt help him deal with these challenges.
    I get what you are saying but it's normally the older guys dropping the weight as a way for maintaining their speed. What does Brian do in a couple of years to make sure he doesn't lose a step in pace? We know he is very quick at the moment and he and a few of the other defenders don't spend a lot of time off the ground anyway indicating that his fitness normally isn't an issue so I'm not sure that losing the weight now helps him that much. Perhaps it gets him back on the park a bit quicker given he is recovering from a couple of operations.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Very well said. Even Superman can have moments of distraction.
    That Bloody Lois Lane