Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Roughead eyes an AFL premiership

Matt Windley - Herald Sun - 7 Jan

JORDAN Roughead says watching his cousin taste ultimate success with Hawthorn in 2008 makes his drive to be part of an AFL premiership even stronger.

And that success may not be as far away as some people think, Roughead, 20, says.

The Western Bulldogs ruckman believes no one should dismiss the Bulldogs as premiership contenders simply because of the retirements of Brad Johnson, Nathan Eagleton and Jason Akermanis after last season.

"I think people may be writing us off a bit quickly," Roughead said.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead eyes an AFL premiership

It's good to have young guys with enthusiasm like this, but it will be a major step up if we were to take the Premiership this year.

A few new players & a bit rejigging because of retirements, might set us back a touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    It's good to have young guys with enthusiasm like this, but it will be a major step up if we were to take the Premiership this year.

A few new players & a bit rejigging because of retirements, might set us back a touch.
    I disagree with this. The players we lost because of retirements didn't really contribute anyway(Harbrows defection will hurt a little and cause a bit of a rejig to the back line) and the new players coming in should be able to contribute from day dot(plus players like Jones, Roughead, Grant, Wood etc will get better as well). I expect us to improve as a side from last season.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chef.

Johnson was only in the side because he is Brad Johnson. He offered little offensively and even less defensively, struggled one on one and didn't make us any more dangerous.

Akermanis deserved to be dropped when he got suspended and all the shit hit the fan. Kicked barely any goals, wasn't fit enough for midfield.

Eagleton contributed but his inclusion was questioned frequently on this site.

Harbrow did contribute, and played well, but at least his loss will be covered somewhat by Easton Wood.

Meanwhile their replacements will offer just as much, if not more. Djerrkurra or Veszpremi only have to add a defensive presence or some scoreboard pressure to offer as much as Johnno or Aker, and Sherman should exceed Eagletons output based on past performances.

And as Chef stated there should be natural improvement in semi regulars Grant, Wood, Ward, Addison and Roughead, if any of Cooney, Ward, Higgins or Hargrave stay fit we are better for it, and a player such as Wallis, Reid, Jones, Hill, Skinner, Howard, Tutt or Cordy could emerge to become a regular component of the side.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to claim Wood, jones, Grant etc as natural improvers you will have to include Hudson and Hall as likely decliners and both were fantastic for us in 2010. We also have a whole lot of 29-30 yos who can go downhill pretty quickly. Players are also more likely to be injured when they are 30 or close enough to 30.

If everything goes right we are good enough to win it; if everything goes wrong we are vulnerable enough to miss the 8.

PS. Ward and Higgins will be our two best recruits this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little worried about Hargrave, Gilbee, Gia, Murphy etc. They are nearing the end and will slow down soon. I just hope it's not this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of enthusiam can't hurt. Does the Hun ever spell check it's articles?
    I can't see how anyone can dismiss us because of retirements of injured or aged players who were not able to contribute a great deal for varying factors. No disrespect to our retired warriors but 2011 is here.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 10-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Anything can happen, dogs are right up there, it's only the pies that look a clear favourite at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

It is heartening to read about the enthusiasm of our younger crew - IMO they will be the ones to carry us through to the big dance. Youthful exuberance, positive thinking and great footy skills - yeah! Bring it on......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    I'm a little worried about Hargrave, Gilbee, Gia, Murphy etc. They are nearing the end and will slow down soon. I just hope it's not this season.
    I must admit - after hearing that Hargrave is potentially out for half a season - I'm not near as concerned as I would have been a couple of years back, as I think Hargrave really struggled at times last season - and his disposal coming out of defence was pretty poor (more or less bombing it back at the opposition's zone).

I think Gilbee can still offer quite a bit - but would like to see him settled permanently at half back where he played his best footy.

Gia and Murphy - if still fit - have plenty to offer. I'd like to see Gia spend more time on the ball/wing. And Murphy - well he is a star - 22 games out of him would be enormous for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    as I think Hargrave really struggled at times last season - and his disposal coming out of defence was pretty poor (more or less bombing it back at the opposition's zone).
    Maybe Hargarve struggled cos he was injured already?
    A fit and firing Hargrave is a very good player.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way that all players are finally trying to earn a spot. We will finally be able to rotate players around so as to rest some guys. EG The Pies
    Trouble is, who will be the poor buggers to be relegated to Willy all too often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    And Murphy - well he is a star - 22 games out of him would be enormous for us.
    And unlikely, given his degenerative knee condition I have read about.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    And unlikely, given his degenerative knee condition I have read about.
    Writing Murph off already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    Writing Murph off already
    See the post I was replying to.

IIRC he himself has commented on his knee and the need to manage it. I would like to see him in the backline, and rested from time to time.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.