Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List Management

Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    After last night I think Skipper deserves more a spot on the list than Street.
    I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but Street hasn't performed that well all year.
    Skipper looks bulkier and did a lot more in linking up than Street.
    Maybe he knew he was on his chance but I would give him the rest of the year in the seniors and then reassess whether he deserves a spot on the list.
    Agree. I liked what I saw from Skipper on Friday. For the first time since his 5 goal effort early last season, looked like he was not over awed and displayed alot of composure. I thought thing were looking grim for him.. but if he can continue to build on Friday's performance in the remaining weeks then I think he has a future at the Dogs next year and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks back my son attended the 'Train With The Players Day' at Werribee.

The one thing that stood out for me was the role Skip played. Each activity was overseen by about 6 players. Skip appeared to be the leader of his group, addressing the children & running the activities. I felt that if a player knew he was on the way out then he wouldn't have taken on the role like Skip did that day.

It mightn't mean much, but it just stood out to me.

For what it's worth I think he offers us greater flexibility than Street, so I hope he grabs his opportunity & takes it. Was unfortunate when injured v WCE in a pre season clash. Set him back a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Macca - the coaching staff will probably have done a similar process in house

I am going to comment on a few of them, where I have slightly different views or just have something to add

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Addison - Has shown enough to warrant selection, and his aggression at the ball and contest has been very pleasing. His disposal and decision making let him down at times, but those are areas that the coaching staff can make improvements on. He is a part of our plan going forward and could become a 150+ game player for us.
    I'm almost his biggest fan, but I've been a little disappointed with Addison, I dont think he has reached the heights of his Essendon round 22 performance in 2006, his decision making has been down, and he has seemed to be down on confidence. I would like to see him played in the starting centre square combination for Werribee whenever not playing for us.

Akermanis - Hasn't set the world on fire, but hasn't been as disappointing as some will suggest. His workrate, knowledge and experience are crucial and he'll be an important player for the next few years.
    Aka for my money has been really good - his defensive skills and on field nous have been at a higher level than most of the squad all year, admittedly he struggled early with the game plan and his body but has been very good of late - there just isn't enough other players performing around him.

Baird - Has had a disappointing 2007, especially on the back of his impressive 2006. I still feel that Baird can offer something as a lead up forward, similar to the role that Hansen plays at WC. He's good on the lead and has good hands. He's been trialled in the backline a bit this season also, and if he can convince the coaching staff that his personal issues are behind him, and he's ready to have a big pre-season and big dip next year, I think he will figure in our plans. His recent form and getting back in the Werribee 1's team has been pleasing. Not too sure where his future lies, but one who I feel is worth persisting with.
    Very disappointing - if Baird wasn't going to play AFL this year I think we all would have hoped for some dominant VFL form, which has not eventuated. He has had personal issues, but given he would probably be on a 2 year contract, and coming to the end of year 2, there has to be enormous doubt he will stay.

Boyd - Been one of our standout performers this year, and once West/Cross are back can probably slot back into a more negating role in which he has proven himself to be very successful in. Reasonably young and certainly a big player in us going forward.
    Brilliant season from Boydy - his continued improvement is a credit to him and the coaching staff - works both ways. Has emerged as a genuine leader of the team and is clearly a beacon in a disappointing season.

Cooney - Has again struggled a bit with his consistency, but overall his year has been pleasing. He's an exciting, skillful goal kicking midfielder, so he certainly has all the attributes and ticks the boxes. His defensive efforts have improved his year, and if he continues to work hard will be one of the best players to put on a Dogs uniform. He can play forward too, and I wouldn't mind seeing him one out more often if he's struggling with a tag.
    Given his OP issues I think its been a tantilising season from Adam - he has had some quiet games, some game busting patches, perhaps less than last year, but his defensive efforts have markedly improved on previous years. For a guy who has been tagged since his first AFL game he has seemingly attracted more attention this year than ever before. I dont think the OP issues have made this as easy to deal with, he has ran more in the second half of the year.

Cross - Another standout performer before injury. His work rate alone lifts our team, helps us create space and he's as hard as they come. His contested marking is also a feature of his game, as is his tackling and ability to win the ball in traffic and inside packs. A key to our future, no doubt.
    Played his usual consistent football before injured. He isn't quick and he isn't a great kick but he works his tail off, and when you sit at the ground you really appreciated his 80 metre diagonal runs to receive the ball on half forward line. Its been a cruel blow to the side to have him injured. Without doubt an important leader in the team.