Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelli underwood

Post Thanks / Like

Kelli underwood

Seems channel 10 (1HD ) have ended the Kelli Underwood calling AFL in season 2011....THANK GOODNESS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kelli underwood

I have nothing against women calling footy...however she was orrible and just had to go!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by western monkey View Post
    I have nothing against women calling footy...however she was orrible and just had to go!!
    Fantastic news. Do your time, get your promotions on merit, not because of your sex. She was horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the experiment could have worked if they picked someone who knew as much as she does about footy but actually had a voice that suited radio/commentary

Post Thanks / Like

I thought she was fine. At least she got the players names right which is more than you can say for most of the others...The special comments guys annoy me one million times more than the announcers.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I thought she was fine. At least she got the players names right which is more than you can say for most of the others...The special comments guys annoy me one million times more than the announcers.
    I agree. She is a hell of a lot better than Brayshaw and Bruce.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

The names thing really annoys me. We need to start a petition.
    1. Bruce, stop calling Gia Gian
    2. How many times do they get our players last names confused?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    2. How many times do they get our players last names confused?
    All the time. And it is not just our players...

The teams down the bottom of the ladder are horribly misrepresented if they get a birth on prime-time tv because each stations 'A' team seemingly only ever watch Collingwood games.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only did Underwood know their names, she knew where they were from and what their strengths were etc.

I'm not saying I loved her commentary but it's sad that a commentator who actually had some knowledge is given the flick whilst plenty of hopeless ones keep chugging around.

Most of the special comments crews provide no insight e.g Tim Watson

Post Thanks / Like

Her not commentating this year is music to my ears. Instead of a stabbing-like pain she gave throughout 2010.

Besides the irritating voice I thought she offered very little in how she described what was happening, added nothing to what you could see in front of your eyes..using old typical cliche's. If she was good enough, she would have a job in 2011.

Take this for example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50iJTjSUOQ

This is an irritable piece of hers at the end of a great game, instead of excitement you hear this annoying croaky-ness if a 13 year old boy's voice just starting breaking

Post Thanks / Like

Good call, sensible call, save-the-eardrums-of-the-football-public call... she was, is and likely will always be dreadful. Boring as hell, a voice reminiscent of nails down the blackboard. Put her on special comments, reducing the torture to the occasional "He's jogging the boundary, so he looks right to come back on"...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Some of guys don't like here just cos she is a female commentator in a male dominated environment. As already mentioned there are plenty that are worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Some of guys don't like here just cos she is a female commentator in a male dominated environment. As already mentioned there are plenty that are worse.
    I never minded what she said and thought she was well researched but her voice needed some work. There are plenty of excellent female sports callers and she could well be another.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I never minded what she said and thought she was well researched but her voice needed some work. There are plenty of excellent female sports callers and she could well be another.
    I don't know another female AFL commentator so she was always on a hiding to nothing to win fans over. He voice is a little dull but there are also plenty of male voices that are dull that don't cop the scrutiny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I don't know another female AFL commentator so she was always on a hiding to nothing to win fans over. He voice is a little dull but there are also plenty of male voices that are dull that don't cop the scrutiny.
    I think that is the only issue. Like anyone who is being a pioneer in something like the male dominated field of Australian rules to really succeed you normally have to be a bit better than average and I think Underwood just comes up a little short of the mark.
    With a bit of training I'd expect her back on the air in 12 months.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"