Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drum roll ........ And our new captain is ......!

Obvious and best choice .
    Well done Brad

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not at all surprised but I am still disappointed with this 'safe' selection. Now that he has assumed the captaincy, I hope that Boyd modifies his game so that he can focus solely on actions that will benefit the team. By that I want to see him curb his (recently) overly attacking instincts, and instead clamp down on the opposition's most dangerous game-breaking midfielder. I don't want to see him go head to head anymore against the likes of Hayes and Swan and be utterly torched in the big games. We have Cooney and Griffen to run the lines and break the game open, so I would expect to see the likes of Boyd and Cross block and harrass and provide a clear path for our game-breakers to let loose, and to prevent the opposition's game breakers from influencing proceedings. If it is good enough for the likes of Kirk and Ling to sacrifice their games to provide the most value to their respective teams, it should be good enough for Boyd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm not at all surprised but I am still disappointed with this 'safe' selection. Now that he has assumed the captaincy, I hope that Boyd modifies his game so that he can focus solely on actions that will benefit the team. By that I want to see him curb his (recently) overly attacking instincts, and instead clamp down on the opposition's most dangerous game-breaking midfielder. I don't want to see him go head to head anymore against the likes of Hayes and Swan and be utterly torched in the big games. We have Cooney and Griffen to run the lines and break the game open, so I would expect to see the likes of Boyd and Cross block and harrass and provide a clear path for our game-breakers to let loose, and to prevent the opposition's game breakers from influencing proceedings. If it is good enough for the likes of Kirk and Ling to sacrifice their games to provide the most value to their respective teams, it should be good enough for Boyd.
    Agree with you 100% Sedat, the problem is I can only see it getting worse. His actions are continually being reinforced by the MC, with high finishes in the B&F and now the captaincy, the club is only encouraging him to abandon his team beneficial role even further.

My other concern with Boyd as captain is, I know as a player I wouldn't take it well if the captain berated me for my effort (which Boyd is prone to do) when his direct opponent has just put through their 3rd goal with their 35th possession.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Sedat.

Boydy played outside his limitations towards the end of the 2010 season and it didn't work out all that well, perhaps he did so because our most influential midfielder was missing, but whatever the reason he needs to get back to playing the type of the role you described.

We still want him to win the hard ball & clearances, because he is very good at that, but he needs to wind back a little when the ball is open play such that he can be a bigger help if or when we lose possession.

I guess it's all about playing the correct role for your skill set and what fits best with the way we play as a team, and the defensive minded & team orientated role you explained fits in with what we need to become a better team, because as we know we only need to improve just a bit to become a GF team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Agree with you 100% Sedat, the problem is I can only see it getting worse. His actions are continually being reinforced by the MC, with high finishes in the B&F and now the captaincy, the club is only encouraging him to abandon his team beneficial role even further.

My other concern with Boyd as captain is, I know as a player I wouldn't take it well if the captain berated me for my effort (which Boyd is prone to do) when his direct opponent has just put through their 3rd goal with their 35th possession.
    Are we being a bit harsh on Boyd?

His game style changed dramatically when Cooney was out of the team (most noticeably the Geelong thrasing and last year's final series). With our best mid out, he took it on himself to be a game breaker (or may have been directed by the coaching staff, who knows) and it backfired badly.

With a fit and firing midfield (featuring Cooney, Griffen and Sherman) and a tweak of coaching instruction (play more defensive against the gun teams), you would hope Boyd reaches the same heights as 2009 and early 2010 when he was very, very good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Are we being a bit harsh on Boyd?

His game style changed dramatically when Cooney was out of the team (most noticeably the Geelong thrasing and last year's final series). With our best mid out, he took it on himself to be a game breaker (or may have been directed by the coaching staff, who knows) and it backfired badly.

With a fit and firing midfield (featuring Cooney, Griffen and Sherman) and a tweak of coaching instruction (play more defensive against the gun teams), you would hope Boyd reaches the same heights as 2009 and early 2010 when he was very, very good.
    I don't think so, it became screamingly obvious at the end of last year because he was getting smashed so badly (Ablett, Swan, Hayes etc.) but it's been an issue for 2 years. He was ripped into by Rocket after our loss to Collingwood in early 2009 for being unaccountable against Swan who got 40 touches, nothing changed then and nothing looks likely to change now. I hope you're right, because if he plays for the team he could be a real asset, but even just watching the match sim this morning twice I saw him try tricky little kick across his body to a team mate 20m away in the middle of the ground who was surrounded by 3 opponents. Naturally it resulted in a turnover, seeing that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    even just watching the match sim this morning twice I saw him try tricky little kick across his body to a team mate 20m away in the middle of the ground who was surrounded by 3 opponents. Naturally it resulted in a turnover, seeing that doesn't fill me with confidence.
    Hmm, doesn't sound great. That being said, Cooney wasn't playing
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Well said Sedat.

Boydy played outside his limitations towards the end of the 2010 season and it didn't work out all that well, perhaps he did so because our most influential midfielder was missing, but whatever the reason he needs to get back to playing the type of the role you described.

We still want him to win the hard ball & clearances, because he is very good at that, but he needs to wind back a little when the ball is open play such that he can be a bigger help if or when we lose possession.

I guess it's all about playing the correct role for your skill set and what fits best with the way we play as a team, and the defensive minded & team orientated role you explained fits in with what we need to become a better team, because as we know we only need to improve just a bit to become a GF team.
    So when you say outside his limitations, you mean, trying to be the big game breaker and not following his opponent?

For mine, for a while there in 2010 I used to get worried
    everytime he disposed of the ball. Personally. I'm a little dissapointed but with the banner ( web ) we all knew it was coming.
    anyway - congratulations Matt.
    new season, new year. See how it goes eh? No questions about his effot.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 21-01-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hmm, doesn't sound great. That being said, Cooney wasn't playing
    Good point, there's hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you guys fill in the missing names. I have two number 17's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post

5 = Big new Hill?

9 = Barlow

18 = DJ

29= Skinner

30 = Libba

Guesses: 19 = Cordy and 23 = Prato?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Now let me get this straight...

Three regular posters have issues with the selection of our newly appointed captain who is a regular top 4 finish in the best and fairest, former winner and 5th in last year’s Brownlow. They disagree with all those not part of the process but who supported his succession to the top job including just about everyone who should know about such things, including his immediate predecessor Johno ...

What is more they allege that our new captain is really the cause of or at least shares a major portion of the blame for our failure to progress in recent finals and is not just a liability in big matches but unlikely to be an effective skipper because players will see him as self indulgent when he urges them to be selfless.

While I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, something doesn’t compute in that equation, unless the rest of the world is mad except for thee.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post

2. Panos
    5. Mulligan
    9. Barlow
    14. Ward
    17. Wood
    18. Djerrkura
    19. Prato
    23. Cordy
    26. Hill
    29. Skinner
    30. Johanisson
    31. Might be Sherman

Post Thanks / Like

1. Couldn't work it out, either future father son or someone from Willi who didn't go to WA
    6. Howard
    20. Either Schofield or another non listed player
    25. Picken or Tutt
    31. Reid

Post Thanks / Like

6 might be Howard. 25 is Picko.

Who's 1 and 20?