Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones in 2011 - realistic expectations?

OK Liam Jones is now heading into his third year on the list, but really its only his second given his part time availability due to Year 12 studies and injury rehab in his first year.

He was very impressive at senior VFL level last year and was serviceable at AFL level playing 5 games.

Physically he has continued to develop, and whilst his decision making and disposal need to improve, he is a determined player, leads well, pretty good hands, works hard at defensive pressure etc.

I think most would agree that he looks an AFL player in the making.

What should be the expectations of Jones heading into 2011?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones in 2011 - realistic expectations?

Somewhere between 8 (low) and 15 (high) games.

Average somewhere around 10-14 possessions/3 marks per game. Somewhere around the 1/1.5 goals per game mark would be nice.

Will depend on injuries and how the forward line structures up...with the changed sub rule we can't afford to take in an extra tall - Jones might actually end up being squeezed out because of this with Roughead (or Minson for those who think that way) playing as a backup ruckman/extra tall forward in order to allow us additional rotations...

If Grant nails down the high role and Hall plays deep, the new rule might mean it is just a bit tougher for Jones who is almost exclusively a deep forward at this stage (though I accept he can get through brief stints up the ground).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the expectations you list are about right mjp. In training the forward line structure has been Hall, Grant and Jones as the main players.

You're right that a resting ruckman might make the fwd line too tall but with Murphy seemingly becoming a permanent defender, it's possible he could still play even with the resting ruckman but for that to happen, Grant would have to play essentially as a small/med fwd and Jones would have to play quite a high role.

The amount of pressure/tackles that Grant and Jones can apply will be a key factor in how many games Jones gets.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're about the mark MJP, although perhaps on the conservative side. The sub rule creates an unkown, but depending on how Roughead goes playing forward I see Jones playing 12-18 games this year. He has all the tools be a terrific AFL player, and IMO I think it's between him and Roughy to see who will be our most improved player this year. I think they both have massive potential.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I see Jones as playing CHF as I believe we need his height or we are in danger of being too small. If he has maintained his mobility as he builds strength he is an excellent option. I also see his main competition coming from Cordy. Grant is too lightly framed to even contest in any sort of pack mark situation and needs to be on the lead, or feeding off the pack. He also needs to be the one applying pressure defensively. Jones is also capable of that defensive pressure.

I also believe we need to play at least Roughead or Minson as well.

We do have some quality tall players developing and realistically need to utilise them as a strength and maybe a point of difference.

Post Thanks / Like

10 to 12 games and playing a few different positions including the occasional run in the back half. He's an exciting prospect but we can't expect too much from him at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Will depend on injuries and how the forward line structures up...with the changed sub rule we can't afford to take in an extra tall - Jones might actually end up being squeezed out because of this with Roughead (or Minson for those who think that way) playing as a backup ruckman/extra tall forward in order to allow us additional rotations...

If Grant nails down the high role and Hall plays deep, the new rule might mean it is just a bit tougher for Jones who is almost exclusively a deep forward at this stage (though I accept he can get through brief stints up the ground).
    Is the top-heavy worry over defensive pressure/pace?
    If so, I would think Jones is a marked improvement over Hahn/Johnno/Aker when they were playing forward - he covers the ground well and his defensive pressure & willingness to chase are fantatsic. He does the hard things, it's the easy things he needs to work on.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Would you play Jones in Halls role pre-season?

The new rule potentially makes a future Cordy/Roughead combination very dangerous - but they both still have a lot of improving to do, and AFL rule changes sometimes dont last that long

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr
    the occasional run in the back half
    Is this something you would do at VFL or AFL level?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe

We do have some quality tall players developing and realistically need to utilise them as a strength and maybe a point of difference.
    I'm a bit unsure how many bigs you are suggesting we will play B-Joe?

Hudson, Hall, Williams and Lake, Grant - appear certain selections when fit

AND then what one of Minson and Roughead?

ANd one of Jones, Cordy?

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't see Grant as a tall, his style of play is different from that of many tall players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Is this something you would do at VFL or AFL level?
    Right through the pre-season cup and any other games before the season. I think we are light on for tall defenders and it won't hurt him to add another string to his bow. If he plays in the VFL it should be as a forward with the occasional run as a defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'm a bit unsure how many bigs you are suggesting we will play B-Joe?

Hudson, Hall, Williams and Lake, Grant - appear certain selections when fit

AND then what one of Minson and Roughead?

ANd one of Jones, Cordy?
    I also don't see Grant as a tall. He is more a forward like Murphy than anything else and lacks bulk.

I see we need one at CHF and my choice is Jones. Then we need the additional ruckman and that is Minson/Roughead with my preference to Will. Cordy can hopefully challenge for a position

I also see some rotations possible game by game to give Hudson and Hall time off to maximise the chances to have players fit for the business end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Liam might of got a few extra games last year because his endeavour and defensive pressure was very good. He was trying hard but didn't quite take advantage of the few chances he had with the ball.

Will he advance this year? he looks very similar shape wise, but so does Grant.
    I think it will come down to a confidence thing. If he's finds his mojo like Grant did in the VFL game against Collingwood round 1 last year, then i'd say 8-15 games is likely.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see him in the side round 1 and from there see how he goes. The kid has got pace and the determination to chase and harass when he doesn't have the ball. Something we lacked last year badly.

Realistically I'm not sure if he could play all 22 games but I'm hoping he plays in the majority of them throughout the year.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been players in the past who debuted young and made a huge impact. Chris Grant, Tim Watson. Who knows. Could be a surprise weapon in a key game.
    Will give defenders all manner of grief. ( or the heeby jeebies as one poster hilariously commented )
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think 10 games would be a good result for Jones, anything more a bonus, although could be one to have a breakout year.

I really like the idea of trying him in the back half too, because we're short on for tall defenders, and have guys like Panos and now Hill coming through who we probably see as deep forward prospects. Jones could become a very good option at CHB with his speed, mobility and defensive mindset.

Needs to continue working on his fitness, and improving his mass/strength. Going to be an interesting player to watch this year.