Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big men, big worries

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Ben Hudson admits the AFL's decision to cut the number of interchange players down to three is causing concern among AFL ruckmen, who are fearful they will lose their spot in the team.

In 2011, interchange players will be cut from four to three in an attempt to stymie the mass rotations employed by some clubs.

The fourth player on the bench will be a substitute and can only be used if a teammate is taken out of the game. Many experts are predicting the back-up tall man will be expunged from the game as a result.

"Initially all ruckmen become fairly fearful when the rules basically knock one player out of the team because they assume the coaches will get rid of the tallest and slowest bloke," Hudson told afl.com.au

full article
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

No Huddo we won't let them do it, especially the boo-ing bit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big men, big worries

It hasn't been a great game for quite a while now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It hasn't been a great game for quite a while now.

It sure beats any other game on the planet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    [/B]

Perhaps, but it's not as good as it could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post

When the Bulldogs are playing it comes close.

When other teams are playing it isn't even close and I could think of a number of other sporting events I would rather watch.... and it wasn't always this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this an official meeting of the flat earth society, or do we have the two old blokes from the balcony on the Muppet Show posting?

I hate the constant rule changing as much as the next man (or woman), but take a look at the games from the 70s and 60s on late night TV. Today's game as a spectacle is so far ahead of what it was, that there is no real comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Is this an official meeting of the flat earth society, or do we have the two old blokes from the balcony on the Muppet Show posting?

I hate the constant rule changing as much as the next man (or woman), but take a look at the games from the 70s and 60s on late night TV. Today's game as a spectacle is so far ahead of what it was, that there is no real comparison.
    That's most likely true but the AFL should have stop playing with the rules 5 years ago. They wanted a fast game, now that they have it they now want to slow it back down.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When the Bulldogs are playing it comes close.

When other teams are playing it isn't even close and I could think of a number of other sporting events I would rather watch.... and it wasn't always this way.
    Each to their own I guess, I still love watching the game as much as ever.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

The skill and athletism of the players today is simply outstanding, no question about it.

My comment wasn't that it wasn't good - or even better or worse than it was - just that it could be so much better than it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to watch many games of football each weekend. I now watch 1.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought for a moment that the article was going to be about Ben Hudson worrying about shaving off The Beard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The skill and athletism of the players today is simply outstanding, no question about it.

My comment wasn't that it wasn't good - or even better or worse than it was - just that it could be so much better than it is.
    I think that's the AFL viewpoint too, year after year after year....

Post Thanks / Like

The Beards got a good point. Rucks will probably suffer. Personally I like the fast pace and would like to see the interchange remain as it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I thought for a moment that the article was going to be about Ben Hudson worrying about shaving off The Beard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    The Beards got a good point. Rucks will probably suffer. Personally I like the fast pace and would like to see the interchange remain as it was.

I vote for the Flip-Side ,as I stated in the other thread we use three ruckmen , Hudson starting, Minson bench, Roughhead Sub . By doing this we keep them fresher throughout the season , Roughhead has the ability to cover HF or HB in case of an injury meaning a reshuffle due to injury doesn't change the structure too much , and if Roughhead is on early due to an injury I,m fine with that as the second ruckman on the ground can rest in the goal square . Now this of course means our bench of two players , one back , one forward will have to be well managed , the emphasis will be on skill and flexibility for the bench players . Ward is as must have for the Back , Jones is putting his hand up for the Forward.

Interesting times !!