Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

After three years in Sydney, Veszpremi's a home boy

The Sunday Age

PATRICK Veszpremi is right back where he started. He's living in the northern suburbs home he moved out of three years ago (his brother has taken his room). He's dropping in on his grandparents (he did some gardening for them last week). He's spending his days off fly-fishing in Daylesford, dressed in the full kit ("I think it's my form of yoga.")

He's helping his mum out with[/URL] the cooking and remembering where everything goes. Almost. "I keep getting in trouble because she wants things done straight away and I'm leaving all my washing on the table because it's all meant to go in different spots now," he smiled. "It's funny. It's like everything's gone back to normal, like I'm 18 again. I'm going to training, going home, going fishing, getting to see my mum and my family. I've bought a dog. It's like it's all started over again."

Veszpremi isn't necessarily pleased that, just three years after he was drafted by Sydney as a first-round pick, he is back in Melbourne, embarking on a second chance. He liked living in Sydney and he would have happily have stayed there, but he would also like to have played a whole lot more than 11 senior games.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    "It's disappointing, but it's also a bit motivating. To go there and make an OK start, then go from that to nothing, it makes you think, what went wrong?" he said. "It's not what you think's going to happen when you first get drafted. It feels like three years have gone pretty quickly, like I want things to go differently from now."

The decision to leave Sydney was one that Veszpremi made gradually, last year. After just 10 games in his first two years, albeit very promising games, he wanted to play more and even though he didn't make the round-one side, felt as though he was working on the long list of things his coaches wanted him to pay attention to. He was trying to improve his endurance, trying to notch 30 sprints in games and lost the weight they had asked him to. He appreciated the help of John Longmire, who would sit and watch vision with him after each reserves game, and at the end of the season found it difficult to tell the new coach that he wanted out.

But as the season unfolded, and he was told each week that he wasn't in the team, Veszpremi felt more and more despondant, "like the goal posts were getting futher and further away". Even after he was called up from the emergency list for a mid-season game against Port Adelaide, he could tell he wouldn't play another one.

"My granddad rang me the night before the game and I said, 'Well, I won't be playing again'. He said, 'Why would you say that?' but I just knew. It was a hard game to play because I was feeling really anxious and nervous, like I couldn't stuff anything up and after that it just felt like it might be time for me to go. I was getting a bit down, it was hard to go to training. I'm normally the one bouncing off the walls. I got a bit lost, and the last month was really hard. They told us they wouldn't be changing the team and when that happens it makes you think 'Well, what am I doing here?' If they're not even thinking of me, how's it going to change?"

Veszpremi spoke with his manager, who encouraged him to play out the season as well as he could; that if he did want to be traded, his best chance would by making another team want him. That team turned out to be the Western Bulldogs: after visiting the club and thinking about its line-up, the 21-year-old began to feel like it was a place where he could fit in, and where he might be needed. He settled in quickly, his confidence began to bubble again and his body is following: he ran one of his best-ever time trial times last week.

Funnily enough, the things the Swans were always at him to improve are starting to come a little easier to him. "I feel better mentally. I feel strong, coming here knowing I did all the extra running, all the extra boxing sessions. I got hammered and I got through it, so I can see how Sydney helped me," he said. "When I do get down I can look back at last year and think, 'I did that, so I can do this.' Everything they wanted me to work on is happening more naturally now, like I've started to set myself up." Some encouragement has helped, too; Veszpremi has been pitted against Dale Morris in match practice, and the defender has spent several minutes talking to him after each session, making him feel like if he does things right, he's a player his new teammates need.

"He's been giving me heaps of pointers. He tells me how to do the things that he hates, so he's helping me play a lot better," he says. "He really lifts my confidence up. He says, 'your movement's really good and you're picking it all up, you're going really well', and if he's saying that I feel like it means something because he's like a glove when he plays on you. But everyone here has been really good. I was nervous at first because I know how I felt at the Swans when a new player came in; it makes you wonder why they've picked them and if it means that they don't want you. I was quiet for a while because I didn't want people to think 'who does this guy think he is?' but they've all made me feel so at home."

Now begins challenge No. 2 — to fit in on the field, to find a spot and keep it. Veszpremi is looking forward to the challenge. "I feel like I have to make a stand here. Whatever I do it has to be 100 per cent because what I've realised is that the years can go by just like that," he said. "I've just got a good feeling, like maybe this club suits me. I sort of wish I'd been here from the start, but that's going to seem pretty dumb if I don't get a game and do well here. Everyone always says to me, 'play the game like it's your last.' I felt like I was doing that at the Swans, but now I really have to do it. I can't wait."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After three years in Sydney, Veszpremi's a home boy

Sounds like a good kid, hopefully he can have a long career with us.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quayle was a big fan of Vez, as a player and as a person, after writing her book about the draft 3 years a go

We've taken a punt on him and I hope he repays the faith

Could be a good forward pocket in a Matt Robbins like role for us

Post Thanks / Like

Thought this was a quite telling quote from Vez.

"I was nervous at first because I know how I felt at the Swans when a new player came in; it makes you wonder why they've picked them and if it means that they don't want you. I was quiet for a while because I didn't want people to think 'who does this guy think he is?' "
    For a kid who as an Under 18er played with such flamboyance and confidence reading between the lines it would seem the system and level required has brought him way back to ground where his confidence could now do with a lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he's got a great attitude and ready to have a break out year.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Still sounds very young and insecure IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Still sounds very young and insecure IMHO
    Who wasn't at 21? Give the kid a break
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like he is a realist who has worked hard, is now seeing some reward for effort and knows exactly what it is going to take for him to make it . I wish him all the best .