Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs players in YouTube disgrace

Has anyone thought about our sponsors and their reputations? After all, we need our sponsors. This episode not only brings about disgrace to our Club, but to our long suffering supporters of the WB. So much work is being done off the field by the Football department and the Board to help ensure that we can be successful on game day. Will these men ever "grow up"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Has anyone thought about our sponsors and their reputations? After all, we need our sponsors. This episode not only brings about disgrace to our Club, but to our long suffering supporters of the WB. So much work is being done off the field by the Football department and the Board to help ensure that we can be successful on game day. Will these men ever "grow up"!!
    I think disgrace is too harsh a word in this case.

There are some silly acts in the footage, but I can't see how anything that's been done is 'disgraceful'.

Post Thanks / Like

I accept we need sponsors, but let's be honest, this is hardly the type of incident to bring about the condemnation or shame you suggest.

Does anyone out there seriously think this will affect sales of Mission Foods?

I accept that the Board & Football Department have done much, including Tom Williams & Daniel Cross on a previous Hong Kong visit, pity they didn't get the type of page 3 coverage this has generated.

High spirited hi jinx, hardly a major incident.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, can't see it doing any long term damage to our sponsors, or even short term damage, really!

There's been much worse behaviour from private school boys on muck up day. Silly and naughty, maybe, but hardly shameful. If this is honestly the worst thing these boys have ever done, we are a very lucky club.

Scratch that, not so much lucky as well-managed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I accept we need sponsors, but let's be honest, this is hardly the type of incident to bring about the condemnation or shame you suggest.

Does anyone out there seriously think this will affect sales of Mission Foods?

I accept that the Board & Football Department have done much, including Tom Williams & Daniel Cross on a previous Hong Kong visit, pity they didn't get the type of page 3 coverage this has generated.

High spirited hi jinx, hardly a major incident.
    Great post.

Susie, as a long suffering fan (though not as long as others) I'm not disgraced by this incident at all. We're talking about humans here, not robots.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

To give the 'scene' some perspective; The bar they are out the front of is very tiny and in that area everyone just drinks out on the street. The street’s not even a street really, its an alley. So I'm surprised that there were so many taxi’s going through it.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree that 'disgrace' is too strong a word to describe the actions in this video, I do believe that this is disrespectful. Both to the drivers of the taxis and the football club itself.

I also think that there is very much a double standard here; if this was Fevola or the St.Kilda FC we would be using stronger words than disgraceful to describe the behaviours.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Whilst I agree that 'disgrace' is too strong a word to describe the actions in this video, I do believe that this is disrespectful. Both to the drivers of the taxis and the football club itself.

I also think that there is very much a double standard here; if this was Fevola or the St.Kilda FC we would be using stronger words than disgraceful to describe the behaviours.
    Fevola and the Saints have been involved in genuine incidents. Assaulting people, threatening cops, sexual assaults, sex with a school girl, urinating in public etc.

None of what our players did warrants the same reaction as what Fev and St.Kilda have invoilved themselves in.

Post Thanks / Like

So it is okay to go out and drink until you are "silly", put yourself at risk of harm and to other road users. Maybe, I am old fashioned but you can still have a good time without becoming so drunk that you do not know you are acting like fools and having your activities filmed for circulatiion. This must not be repeated again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it is disgraceful behaviour, and I doubt it will have any effect on our sponsors. Pretty much any discussion is going to be:

"Did you see that Doggies thing in Hong Kong?"
    "Yeah. Pretty funny. No nudity but"
    "Yeah, the Saints would have snuck a sausage in there somewhere"

I'm pretty sure many of the people who saw it would just find it amusing (that worm over the car, whilst not the friendliest action, is hilarious, as is Cooney's esky slide).

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post

Yes but that is because unlike Fevola and St.Kilda this is our first offence in years.

Post Thanks / Like

So it is okay to go out and drink until you are "silly", put yourself at risk of harm and to other road users. Maybe, I am old fashioned but you can still have a good time without becoming so drunk that you do not know you are acting like fools and having your activities filmed for circulatiion. This must not be repeated again.
    I agree that it is silly behaviour, but I don't think it's going to harm peoples perceptions of our club too much. I do agree that this mustn't turn into an ongoing thing though.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Lan Kwai Fong only a couple of weeks ago and it really is a mecca for young westerners on holiday/working overseas to hit the turps and generally muck about with some juveline behaviour. To be perfectly honest, this is pretty tame stuff by 'off-field disgrace' standards (if it was anything sinister or significant, it would have seen the light of day immediately, not 4 months later), but I appreciate that some people don't like to see the image of our some of our players being relatively immature pissheads, notwithstanding the fact that they are on their end of season trip and deserve the opportunity to let their hair down a little.

Tame as it is, I don't mind the fact that the playing group has been given a bit of a kick up the arse. What nausiates me is hearing journalists take the moral high ground for such relatively harmless hi-jinx. I'm sure the likes of Mark Roninson, Jon Ralph, Hutchy and co spend their vacation time holding hands around a campfire reading excerpts from the bible

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with most that 'disgrace' isn't the word for this kinda funny/mostly stupid video, though can you imagine how people internally at the club would be reacting? They'd be having kittens...or puppies as it might be...

Would not want to have been around Rocket this morning
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agree that it is silly behaviour, but I don't think it's going to harm peoples perceptions of our club too much. I do agree that this mustn't turn into an ongoing thing though.
    How do you/ we know that this type of behaviour doesn't occur every year?

Because this one was filmed doesn't mean that it's a one-off and having been on many off-season trips this sort of sky-larking occurs quite often.

Post Thanks / Like

This incident borders on 'disgraceful'. They are professional football players on large six figure salaries (which puts them in the top few percent of income earners in this country). I expect this behavior from uneducated boozed up bogans, not professional sportsmen. They are paid handsomely for what they do which means they must be committed to upholding the standards required of them by the club and the AFL regardless of if its an end of season trip, their annual leave or whatever. The truth of the matter is that when you get paid as much as these blokes do, you are never really on leave or divorced of your responsibilities to your employer.