Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs players in YouTube disgrace

I'm sure Captain Groenewegan would find this to be a storm in a teacup
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Would not want to have been around Rocket this morning
    Simon Garlick mentioned on SEN this morning that the club knew about & dealt with the issue late last week.

I guess it shows our group how what they see as a bit of letting off-steam at the end of the season and possibly harmless fun can be turned around by the media to bringing the club into a state of shame and disgrace.... Best the boys check for camera's next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Noone hurt, no damage to taxi or shops, boys having some fun, gee this is news.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

bulldogborn Guest

From a sponsors viewpoint it may give them a reason to break a sponsorship.We cannot let this happen.As for Adam Cooney's hi jinx was it not only a few weeks earlier he was not playing for us in our finals campaign with a hamstring injury.Dont believe Esky lid sliding would be part of his recuperation.Hope this is a wake up call we need to focus on 2011 premiership aspirations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    So it is okay to go out and drink until you are "silly", put yourself at risk of harm and to other road users. Maybe, I am old fashioned but you can still have a good time without becoming so drunk that you do not know you are acting like fools and having your activities filmed for circulatiion. This must not be repeated again.
    It's easy to laugh this off but the problem is that if a strong message doesn't get sent with the whole boys being boys thing it is very likely to escalate next time.

Its a great test of our leadership team to see who was there and what they tried to do to curb it.

I agree that we don't need this repeated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Simon Garlick mentioned on SEN this morning that the club knew about & dealt with the issue late last week.

I guess it shows our group how what they see as a bit of letting off-steam at the end of the season and possibly harmless fun can be turned around by the media to bringing the club into a state of shame and disgrace.... Best the boys check for camera's next time.
    You would hope that there wouldn't be a "next time".

Post Thanks / Like

It probably works in our favor that the Hun used such an over the top headline , seems like when people see it they are almost disappointed that it's not that bad .

Post Thanks / Like

Other than Cooney potentially getting a new nickname, Cool Runnings or Barbados come to mind, it has been blown out of proportion.
    The last time we hit the news was when Browny played up at KFC. I'll take one stupid minor bad news story every 7 years over a number of major issues like the Aints.
    Obviously preferred for it not to happen, it will not effect our season and does not tarnish our brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    To give the 'scene' some perspective; The bar they are out the front of is very tiny and in that area everyone just drinks out on the street. The street’s not even a street really, its an alley. So I'm surprised that there were so many taxi’s going through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I was at Lan Kwai Fong only a couple of weeks ago and it really is a mecca for young westerners on holiday/working overseas to hit the turps and generally muck about with some juveline behaviour.
    These kind of posts will continue to get ignored because they are true and don't allow people to get all in a fuss about nothing. I have been to many "bars" like this and the reality of the situation is that cars should not be driving down these "streets".

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the cars were there illegally.

Post Thanks / Like

If that is the worst that happened on a Footy trip in Hong Kong then we should think ourselves lucky. I'd rather it not have been the Bulldogs but I really don't care to much about it.

We're all human and I'm sure a lot of us have don some pretty stupid things when we've been drunk before. I get tired of hearing the saintly responses of so many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Other than Cooney potentially getting a new nickname, Cool Runnings or Barbados come to mind, it has been blown out of proportion.
    The last time we hit the news was when Browny played up at KFC. I'll take one stupid minor bad news story every 7 years over a number of major issues like the Aints.
    Obviously preferred for it not to happen, it will not effect our season and does not tarnish our brand.
    Cool Runnings is a good one.

Hooper will forever be known as Worm.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cool Runnings is a good one.

Hooper will forever be known as Worm.
    Quick work Comrade -- maybe too quick -- you might want to correct your new signature...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's easy to laugh this off but the problem is that if a strong message doesn't get sent with the whole boys being boys thing it is very likely to escalate next time.

Its a great test of our leadership team to see who was there and what they tried to do to curb it.

I agree that we don't need this repeated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    You would hope that there wouldn't be a "next time".
    Of course there'll be a next time, for every club. What matters to me is the way the club responds. If they kick asses, then we've nothing to worry about, it becomes a case of "young fella gets a chance to mature very bloody quickly, as we're all professionals here" but if we go about it the same way the Saints have, the whole "boys will be boys" just becomes the starting point to something worse.

I don't think the incident even warrants a Youtube video. But as with all things connected to young men and our constant need to "out-do each other", let's just hope they got the message and settle down now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How do you/ we know that this type of behaviour doesn't occur every year?

Because this one was filmed doesn't mean that it's a one-off and having been on many off-season trips this sort of sky-larking occurs quite often.
    I meant in terms of an ongoing issue, much like St.Kilda are experiencing.

I understand that atm it's only an issue when we get caught, and regardless of how many times we've done stuff like this previously from now on we can't afford to do it/be caught doing it again because then it becomes an activity more heavily associated with our club.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Of course there'll be a next time, for every club. What matters to me is the way the club responds. If they kick asses, then we've nothing to worry about, it becomes a case of "young fella gets a chance to mature very bloody quickly, as we're all professionals here" but if we go about it the same way the Saints have, the whole "boys will be boys" just becomes the starting point to something worse.

I don't think the incident even warrants a Youtube video. But as with all things connected to young men and our constant need to "out-do each other", let's just hope they got the message and settle down now.
    Doesn't quite add up. You are convinced that there will be another incident at our Club...I'm not worried about other Clubs. Then you say what matters most is how the Club responds and "if they kick asses we've got nothing to worry about".

Surely if the Club handles this incident appropriately they way you suggest then wouldn't that stop any future similar pranks or worse. As you say yourself "we've got nothing to worry about".