Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs players in YouTube disgrace

I think that big worm on the way to Phillip island has got some stiff competition.

Could you imagine 25 thousand or so doggies supporters doing the worm everytime hoops wiggled through another goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Garlik makes a response

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...ak53.html#poll

not a good look,(imagine the reaction of an Indian driver if you did that to his cab!)
    but may turn a positive result.
    Not serious enough to do damage on a Fev, Saints scale, but they'll get a bake,
    Grants ears will be red, not pink I imagine. ^_^

hope it forces boys to keep their heads down, arse up.

Nanny state, agreed,but Simon is right,
    IF you want to pocket from AFL, expect the sharks to follow you.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I find this offensive. Give your opinion on whether you think the behaviour of the players was appropriate or not. But keep your opinion of other posters to yourself.

Apologies for the confusion. I was not attacking the views of other posters.

I am referring to the double standard media outlets (that make money on highlighting issues yet extole the evils of the matter at hand) that thrive on the misfortune and misjudgement of the general public (with a particular focus on celebrity types) and make spotlight seeking politicians want to legislate every individual choice away from us, the poor stupid common man, who cannot make any decisions for ourselves.

Hence a nanny state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Many of our team members are studying for Degrees at Universities and Tafe Colleges, but this does not excuse their stupid behaviour. Whether they like it or not, they are Ambassadors for our Club and role models to our children who aspire to be elite sportsmen and sportswomen themselves. As I have stated previously you can have a great time with your mates without drinking to such excess that you do not know what is going on and at the same time being caught on camera and then distributed to all and sundry. We are better than that at the WB. It is now 2011, not 1970.
    I agree Susie. Leave all the drinking up to me

Post Thanks / Like

Woo Hoo. I'm now upgraded to a Senior Player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    I agree Susie. Leave all the drinking up to me
    I am happy to help Shnookie

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that will mean lemonade for senior players. One must watch their sugar intake these days. I am glad to see that Shnookie is a player sponsor of Sam Reid. This saved your skin as far as I am concerned. Perhaps I can become a senior player soon and join their esteemed rank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Apologies for the confusion. I was not attacking the views of other posters.

I am referring to the double standard media outlets (that make money on highlighting issues yet extole the evils of the matter at hand) that thrive on the misfortune and misjudgement of the general public (with a particular focus on celebrity types) and make spotlight seeking politicians want to legislate every individual choice away from us, the poor stupid common man, who cannot make any decisions for ourselves.

Hence a nanny state.
    No worries

Post Thanks / Like

Hilarious, the media smell blood and cry havoc .

No screaming, swearing, vomiting , fighting , no woman assaulted, no genitals on display , no Police or Ambulances , no vehicles being driven , no drugs or drug paraphernalia , no criminal damage , no one's or two's being distributed , no animals were killed or injured.

To stop the media blowing things way out of proportion would be like trying to push butter up a porcupine's ass with a knitting needle on a hot day

Maybe its time for a little culture

“Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West-Dog View Post
    Hilarious, the media smell blood and cry havoc .

No screaming, swearing, vomiting , fighting , no woman assaulted, no genitals on display , no Police or Ambulances , no vehicles being driven , no drugs or drug paraphernalia , no criminal damage , no one's or two's being distributed , no animals were killed or injured.

To stop the media blowing things way out of proportion would be like trying to push butter up a porcupine's ass with a knitting needle on a hot day

Maybe its time for a little culture

“Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sure, they had a bit much, fine, but Jumping on a taxi like that is a very dumb thing to do in Asia. I Can tell you a thousand stories of drunken parties gone horribly wrong in places like Hong Kong.
    Not much seperates an embarrassing memory and serious consequences with that kind of stunt. Rules are very different overseas.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Susie here.

If it's not cool to do in the middle of Melbourne, it's not cool to do it in a foreign country. As already said, they are not just ambassadors of our club, but as international tourists, ambassadors of our country and culture, and enough people already think of us as uncultured bogans -- I guess the fact that so many of us think that behaviour like that is 'normal' (it wouldn't be in plenty of other cultures) speaks for itself. The consequences would also have been a lot worse if someone was charged with an offence overseas, where consular representation would have to be made and the issue blown up. I agree with most that it IS a media beat-up, which is the media's wont, but we provided the bait, which there really is no excuse for in 2011.

Finally, as the 'community club', we have a responsibility to our own family-friendly reputation to remain squeaky clean, as we have invested heavily in being a role model organisation for the fast-growing Western suburbs, an investment that will pay off in a big way over the next 10 to 15 years, but only if we remain professional and differentiate ourselves from the other 'bogan-culture' clubs. Most new Western suburbs residents are young families and new immigrants, two target demographic groups with generally conservative values with low tolerance for louts, and the Dogs cannot afford to alienate them for any reason if we are to have any chance of building our supporter and membership base over the long term.

But then again, I guess that makes me old-fashioned too.

ps. Having said all that, I'm glad it wasn't worse (didn't really expect anything horrendous, truth be told), and if the group moves on and learns from this (and it doesn't snowball into a cultural problem), no real harm done.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Lantern.

Post Thanks / Like

Well-considered post as usual Lantern. I think you've swayed me. Maybe it is a bigger deal than I initially thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Well-considered post as usual Lantern. I think you've swayed me. Maybe it is a bigger deal than I initially thought.
    He has a tendancy to do that. Resist!

Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Our blokes acting up in Hong Kong makes back page news and is titled - "Disgrace"

Albert Proud belts a copper and gets two paragraphs on page 16.

Go figure