Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GSW - Recruiting Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Does anyone know what sort of KPP talent that GWS would be targetting? Not sure who is out of contract around the AFL.
    They will need big bodies to step in straight away in 2012.
    I have no idea but I assume that they will want at least one experienced foundation player in each line from front to back. Other than a ruck and perhaps a full forward this seems to be what the Suns did last year.

As good as Ward is I would have thought there would be another more "Marque" style player out there who would be higher up wish list.

TBH I actually think Barry Hall should be a target for GWS. Time will tell this season if there is another good year in him but INMHO he is exactly what GWS need to launch the club year one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    TBH I actually think Barry Hall should be a target for GWS. Time will tell this season if there is another good year in him but INMHO he is exactly what GWS need to launch the club year one.
    He's still probably the only AFL player that Sydney-siders have actually heard of.

Post Thanks / Like

In the papers today that Taylor Walker from the Crows has put his contract talks off until the end of the season. Been dropped a few times - many Crows fans say unfairly, so there is further impetus to go beside merely $$$$
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

In the papers today that Taylor Walker from the Crows has put his contract talks off until the end of the season. Been dropped a few times - many Crows fans say unfairly, so there is further impetus to go beside merely $$$$
    If he is going to be their "go to" forward, he will struggle big time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    It's a difficult one for clubs to handle.

You respect your clubs former stars but some of them simply won't go when it's time. Look at Doug Hawkins - if it was left up to Doug he would still be on our list (in 2003 he would have gotten a game).
    That's a classic.... made me laugh
    I seem to recall Doug did have a bit of a comeback threat there for a while.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what sort of KPP talent that GWS would be targetting? Not sure who is out of contract around the AFL.
    They will need big bodies to step in straight away in 2012.
    T Walker (Adelaide)
    A Carlile (Port)

Those are the two I've heard and Barry Hall of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Greater Western Sydney Giants' expanding hit list worries rivals

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 26 February

GREATER Western Sydney's hit list continues to grow, with Western Bulldogs midfielder Callan Ward and Port Adelaide pair Alipate Carlile and Danyle Pearce believed to be in the new club's sights.

While the likes of Melbourne's Tom Scully, Geelong's Jimmy Bartel and Collingwood trio Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas remain priorities for GWS, Ward has appeal as a second-tier target.

Drafted with pick No.19 in the 2007 draft, Ward is a hardened competitor and, after a 38-game apprenticeship, has enormous upside.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of a single reason outside of money that any reasonably established AFL footballer would want to join this team from the beginning. The coach is a marketing tool who can't and won't shut his mouth. No one in the immediate area cares or is likely to in the foreseeable future. They'll have a much tougher row to hoe than Gold Coast from most perspectives. Aside from the AFL who'll give them all kinds of concessions and money until they're competitive and ideally win a premiership (so the Commission can sit and pat themselves on the back despite them probably having max. 10000 members), nobody particularly wants them to succeed.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The cost of living in Sydney is a bit more than Melbourne, 400k a year living in Sydney vs about 300-350k (by my estimate) living in your home town, not a huge difference.
    Is it worth leaving a settled home with all your family and friends and an established team vs playing for a new franchise that is further away from success than us as it currently stands?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    The cost of living in Sydney is a bit more than Melbourne, 400k a year living in Sydney vs about 300-350k (by my estimate) living in your home town, not a huge difference.
    Is it worth leaving a settled home with all your family and friends and an established team vs playing for a new franchise that is further away from success than us as it currently stands?
    Callan Ward playing with GWS earns $700K per year.

Callan Ward playing with WB earns $300K per year.

All estimates, but I would think he could potentially earn more than double by heading to 'falafel central'.

Post Thanks / Like

Callan Ward isn't worth 700K a year this year and most likely next year.
    If they are going pump up unfulfilled talent then the competition will suffer.
    GWS will be soulless for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

The article says $2mil over 5 years so in hindsight my figure was well off.

If that is all they offer him I have no doubt he will remain with us.

Post Thanks / Like

After watching Gary Rohan run around last night, he should be just about top of their list. He looked like a young Goddard to me. Perfect age, excitement machine and already living in Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

He won't go. I have just sent him a letter with 2 bob enclosed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The article says $2mil over 5 years so in hindsight my figure was well off.

If that is all they offer him I have no doubt he will remain with us.
    Even with the gap in money not being that huge the real selling factor might be the longer term deal. The security that it provides is a strong consideration.

I don't think it would be enough to get him to sign but it would be tempting.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"