Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs' focus back on field

Adam McNicol - AFL Website - 10 February

WESTERN Bulldogs skipper Matthew Boyd says he and his teammates have put their recent distractions behind them and remain firmly focused on the opening round of the NAB Cup.

The Bulldogs have been in the headlines since a video was released that showed some of their players skylarking in traffic on a post-season trip to Hong Kong.

However Boyd said the events hadn't interrupted the club's preparations for the season ahead.

"As a playing group and as a club we've dealt with that issue," Boyd said during the first day of the Dogs' Telstra AFL community camp in the western Victorian city of Horsham.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs' focus back on field

Boyd really needs to try on work on how he presents himself in front of the camera, his past few interviews are as if he has had a lobotomy, hopefully he can develop his personality as he settles into the role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Boyd really needs to try on work on how he presents himself in front of the camera, his past few interviews are as if he has had a lobotomy, hopefully he can develop his personality as he settles into the role.
    That ain't going to happen.

Good player but he's had a charisma by-pass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Unfortunately that is Matthew Boyd.

You can't always get the complete package with your captain, and of the choices we had there was no one better.

At least we can savour in the fact that we know our captain will be busting his gut and leading by example on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

At least we can savour in the fact that we know our captain will be busting his gut and leading by example on the field.
    I'd much rather that, anyway. My first choice was Dale Morris and he makes Boydy sound like Jason Akermanis.

On field leadership > fluffy media spots.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We can always wheel out Gia or Murphy if we need an articulate spokesman.

Post Thanks / Like

He's pretty new to the position - perhaps he will get some media coaching? I guess I don't mind really - he doesn't have to be slick and smiley. He will lead by example on the field.....

Post Thanks / Like

Which of our previous captains hasn't been of this ilk? For what it's worth which of our senior & regular players don't play this way?

Personally I hope to see this captain concentrate on doing the little things well ( the 1% er's) which is the area in which we need the greatest improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'd much rather that, anyway. My first choice was Dale Morris and he makes Boydy sound like Jason Akermanis.

On field leadership > fluffy media spots.
    LOL Dale Morris aka Robocop
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately that is Matthew Boyd.

You can't always get the complete package with your captain, and of the choices we had there was no one better.

If he wasn't captain he would still be busting his gut on the field

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    We can always wheel out Gia or Murphy if we need an articulate spokesman.
    Murphy yes, but not so sure about Gia. During the NAB Cup GF acceptance speech I thought he was really un-natural and looked quite bad. Seemed to be trying way to hard to be stern, firm and Captain serious.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 11-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which of our previous captains hasn't been of this ilk? For what it's worth which of our senior & regular players don't play this way?

Personally I hope to see this captain concentrate on doing the little things well ( the 1% er's) which is the area in which we need the greatest improvement.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that our previous captains haven't been of that ilk. We certainly saw Johnno rise to the occasion time and time again. It would also be very unfair to suggest any of our players don't play that way - however there are a few guys who can probably improve their ability to consistently grab games by the neck and drag them our way.

I recall fondly one game (can't remember the opponent or year, it's Friday and it's been a long day, and even longer week) where Boydy just threw himself into contests, laid tackles and threw everything at it to arrest the other sides momentum and bring it back into our favour late in the game. He has the ability, and hopefully with others are able to more consistently able to step up and assist, and Boydy can get back to doing more of the same as he's very much one of our best in this area when doing it.

Agree on your second point.
    Last edited by Go_Dogs; 12-02-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    Murphy yes, but not so sure about Gia. During the NAB Cup GF acceptance speech I thought he was really un-natural and looked quite bad. Seemed to be trying way to hard to be stern, firm and Captain serious.
    I reckon that's just him, has come across that way whenever I speak to him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]