Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Expectations and all the guff that goes with it.

Good morning everyone,

I do love the smell of the linament in the morning, the feel of the Sherrin, the reading of monday's papers about how my team has gone over the weekend, so along with that time of year comes the inevitable expectation setting........

Last year I posted after the NAB cup win how in my mind (and not others who clearly disagreed with me link: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...?t=7060&page=1 ) how I thought we were getting ahead of ourselves.

So its time to sit down and think about this year, what does this year hold for us? where do we see ourselves realistically finishing? considering all the factors, both internally at the club and the list etc. and externally in what our competition is doing.

And whilst I am the eternal pessimist, I realistically cannot see the pickup of 5-10% that is needed to get over the black and white swine.

I personally think we are capable of getting to the big dance, but winning it, thats a different proposition.

So my prediction is finishing 2nd, and I have to say, I would be stoked to at least make it once in my lifetime.

So more importantly reflecting back on last years thread, will I still book my overseas holiday for grand final week? hell yes, because at least then I can be one of the whining idiots who ring up the radio and complain how they are stuck in the Tahiti and cant get it on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expectations and all the guff that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Good morning everyone,

I do love the smell of the linament in the morning, the feel of the Sherrin, the reading of monday's papers about how my team has gone over the weekend, so along with that time of year comes the inevitable expectation setting........

Last year I posted after the NAB cup win how in my mind (and not others who clearly disagreed with me link: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...?t=7060&page=1 ) how I thought we were getting ahead of ourselves.

So its time to sit down and think about this year, what does this year hold for us? where do we see ourselves realistically finishing? considering all the factors, both internally at the club and the list etc. and externally in what our competition is doing.

And whilst I am the eternal pessimist, I realistically cannot see the pickup of 5-10% that is needed to get over the black and white swine.

I personally think we are capable of getting to the big dance, but winning it, thats a different proposition.

So my prediction is finishing 2nd, and I have to say, I would be stoked to at least make it once in my lifetime.

So more importantly reflecting back on last years thread, will I still book my overseas holiday for grand final week? hell yes, because at least then I can be one of the whining idiots who ring up the radio and complain how they are stuck in the Tahiti and cant get it on TV.
    The extra 5-10% we need is basical down to luck.

There are half a dozen teams who could win it, we are one of them.

If we hit September with a full and healthy list we will be right in the mix. If Collingwood have a shitty run like we had last year they will not be.

You have to be good enough in the first place to be around the mark, from there everything has to go right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

If we hit September with a full and healthy list we will be right in the mix. If Collingwood have a shitty run like we had last year they will not be.

You have to be good enough in the first place to be around the mark, from there everything has to go right.
    Brilliant post.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood had a shitty run in 2009 and got walloped in the PF.

No doubt they improved last year across the board, but having their best players fit & healthy come the end of 2010 meant the world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to manage certain players better though.

Murphy will probably never be fully fit for an entire year - resting him where applicable wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hudson is often burnt out in September. With Minson and Roughead both more than capable, we should be able to rest Huddo a few times during the year.

If players have niggles - I'd rather we rest them. Watching Johnson and Higgins hobble around last year was painful.

But otherwise, luck certainly plays a massive part in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Murphy will probably never be fully fit for an entire year - resting him where applicable wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hudson is often burnt out in September. With Minson and Roughead both more than capable, we should be able to rest Huddo a few times during the year.
    The bye's may play a crucial role with these two, especially Hudson.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Sockeye, last year was a perfect example. We were the 2nd best side last year and the 3rd best side shouldve won it in the end. Out of the top 3 or 4 whoever has the most luck with injuries and fitness heading into the last round has the best shot. The Pies were presented with a near perfect season and didnt have to face any of the hurdles that we faced yet we were only 4 goals from facing them.

The worm has already turned with the Pies facing injuries and with a level playing field come Finals I'm fully expecting us to face them.

Post Thanks / Like

If players have niggles - I'd rather we rest them. Watching Johnson and Higgins hobble around last year was painful.

As soon as the Beard injured his ankle in Darwin , I said to myself , on top of the the other injuries this is another year with no Grand Final appearance, I was right

The interchange rules will put massive pressure on the No1 Ruckman at every Club, as I see it we need to have Huddo play every second week as the starting ruckman , for us to be a real force when either Minson or Roughhead are getting game time they both need to average 15 possessions and a goal a game

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Our management of top line players hasn't been great in my humble opinion (because what would I really know!) and needs to be better this year so we have our prime movers playing as close to 100% as possible in September.

Trying to secure a Top 4 spot as early as possible by tucking a lot of early wins away will really help us towards the end of the year and allow us to rest players. If we're still having to push very hard for a spot in the 4, we might not have the luxury.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you SS - we ARE good enough and we just need some luck with injuries...... let's hope the footy Gods are feeling benevolent towards the Dogs this year!

Post Thanks / Like

My take is to say yes, SS has pointed to a very important matter and injuries were a major factor, but there were others which not only contributed to a less than satisfactory season which we seem to forget. They contributed to the injury score because as a result we were never in a position to rest players and they need recognising also and fixing if we are to progress.

We need a more complete analysis as to why we struggled against some teams who were not really at our level and why we had some inexplicable losses eg Essendon, and then why late in the season we were all at sea and Rocket declared we had a loss of belief.

Why have we made so much of Hoopers one final’s game because of one goal he scored that has grown out of all proportion. The fact is he hardly did anything on the night and had what, 3 or 4 kicks. But then perhaps the facts are only impediments in the way of great arguments.

There is no malicious intent in this and I’m not having a veiled go at anyone but we need to recognise that just as on field effort is expected to improve so is the management of that effort and I hope that the reasons for the loss of belief have been well and truly analysed and plans put in place to adjust strategies so that it doesn’t recur.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    We were the 2nd best side last year .
    What alternate universe do you inhabit?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    Good post Sockeye, last year was a perfect example. We were the 2nd best side last year and the 3rd best side shouldve won it in the end. Out of the top 3 or 4 whoever has the most luck with injuries and fitness heading into the last round has the best shot. The Pies were presented with a near perfect season and didnt have to face any of the hurdles that we faced yet we were only 4 goals from facing them.

The worm has already turned with the Pies facing injuries and with a level playing field come Finals I'm fully expecting us to face them.
    How did you work that out?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    How did you work that out?
    Turned off at quarter time of the Geelong game and 1/2 time of the prelim I guess.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The bye's may play a crucial role with these two, especially Hudson.
    They are perfectly timed for us - one month out from the finals is fantastic for the older guys.
    Minson & Roughy pushing for selection emans we can rest Huddo mid season if need be, and we can try a Hall-less F50 between Jones/Grant/Resting ruckman.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers