Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class of 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Class of 1999

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Reading through the Hun today (can't find a link but its in the middle of the paper)

An article on Gilbee Daring to Dream.

Talking about sitting down for breakfast back in 1999. Most of these players are now on target to play their 200th game;

2011 Listed
    Pick 13 - Robert Murphy (188 Games)
    Pick 32 - Daniel Giansiracusa (193 Games)
    Pick 37 - Mitch Hahn (181 games)
    Pick 43 - Linsday Gilbee (189 Games)
    Pick 66 - Ryan Hargrave (186 Games)

Casualties of 1999
    Pick 35 - Patrick Wiggins (12 games)
    Pick 58 - Patrick Bowden (50 games)

Wow, we did damn well out of 1999. 12 Years on and theres gunna be quite a few milestones.

Is this our most successful draft in history?

It was a great draft for us, but IMO most are now past their best now.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    There are plenty of draft picks north of 50 that never grace an AFL field. The fact that they have all played games before removes the doubt as to whether they will develop into players capable of competing at that level.

As for their prior clubs being happy to let them go, Geelong were chock full of small forward/mid types, with Byrnes, Varcoe, Stokes, Chapman and Johnson around. They would also be pushing their salary cap. Brisbane also had salary cap trouble, and Sherman had issues with the club in the way they tried to vary his role in the side. He wanted to go, and it had to be here not Sydney - Brisbane were far from in control of that move.
    The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side? Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    It was a great draft for us, but IMO most are now past their best now.
    But isn't that true by virtue that they have all had 11 years as AFL footballers and in particular Murphy and Hargrave have had some pretty major injuries. I don't think too many teams are relying on their 99 draft to keep them competitive.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Reading through the Hun today (can't find a link but its in the middle of the paper)

An article on Gilbee Daring to Dream.

Talking about sitting down for breakfast back in 1999. Most of these players are now on target to play their 200th game;

2011 Listed
    Pick 13 - Robert Murphy (188 Games)
    Pick 32 - Daniel Giansiracusa (193 Games)
    Pick 37 - Mitch Hahn (181 games)
    Pick 43 - Linsday Gilbee (189 Games)
    Pick 66 - Ryan Hargrave (186 Games)

Casualties of 1999
    Pick 35 - Patrick Wiggins (12 games)
    Pick 58 - Patrick Bowden (50 games)

Wow, we did damn well out of 1999. 12 Years on and theres gunna be quite a few milestones.

Is this our most successful draft in history?
    There'd have to be question marks on whether Hargrave will reach 200 games. I hope he does, but his injury is obviously pretty bad.

If Hahn reaches 200 games, we are going backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side. Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).
    Hmm, I get what you mean, but I would think there's no shame in being behind those two players. And you can throw in Stokes too. So that's three guys who would most probably be walk up starts at any other club.

I'm willing to see what DJ throws up. Benefit of the doubt etc. Time will tell I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post

Hmm, I get what you mean, but I would think there's no shame in being behind those two players. And you can throw in Stokes too. So that's three guys who would most probably be walk up starts at any other club.

I'm willing to see what DJ throws up. Benefit of the doubt etc. Time will tell I guess.
    I'm not writing him off, but to automatically say he's a win for us, which is what Gogriff was saying, is wrong. Guys like Byrnes and Varcoe have had pretty serious form fluctuations over time and at no point was DJ a serious alternative. He has a long way to go to prove himself as an AFL footballer.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not writing him off, but to automatically say he's a win for us, which is what Gogriff was saying, is wrong. Guys like Byrnes and Varcoe have had pretty serious form fluctuations over time and at no point was DJ a serious alternative. He has a long way to go to prove himself as an AFL footballer.
    Gamble was ahead of him too and he was delisted at the end of 2010.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side?
    That we don't have Byrnes or Varcoe. Same for Hawthorn & Skipper.

Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).
    He would acknowledge that. He wouldn't be satisfied with another year like 2010 this year.

I was really only saying that when you select a mature age player, it is more of a known quantity than an 18 year old. We know he can compete at AFL level because he has done it before. There is a base level of performance you can expect, and then if there is additional development, improvement in a new environment with more opportunities or success in trying him in another role, it's a bonus.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Gamble was ahead of him too and he was delisted at the end of 2010.
    Personally (on a bit of a tangent) I think Gamble was a very good pickup for St. Kilda and I had raised the idea of us going after him in the past (though he wasn't really what we were looking for). I think he ended up being one of those players at Geelong that they didn't need/want but didn't want anyone else to have. When injuries gave him a chance he was normally pretty good value for them and he will probably add a few goals to the Saints each week.

I think that's how I felt about Everitt in the end (and may feel about Josh Hill if he doesn't have the sort of year we all suspect he can have).

Post Thanks / Like

Turned out pretty good in the end.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Turned out pretty good in the end.

Are they missing Wiggins?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are they missing Wiggins?
    That photo looks to be some years after 99, I'm guessing Wiggins was gone by then.

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post