Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stand-alone team in the VFL.

The Demons' move comes after both Richmond and the Western Bulldogs have declared their desire to develop stand-alone teams in the VFL and again raises the prospect of an AFL reserves competition or an over-crowded or decimated VFL.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/s...309-1bo05.html

Anyone know any more about this?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stand-alone team in the VFL.

Who are the clubs that do field their own VFL teams. Obviously collingwood. Cant say definitely that the progress of some of their younger players is down to that, but they are obviously doing something right down there.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Williamstown alignment has worked well for us, though who wouldn't like to see Bulldog colours at the WO again?*

*Assuming WO is up to VFL standard - I imagine it is
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Who are the clubs that do field their own VFL teams. Obviously collingwood. Cant say definitely that the progress of some of their younger players is down to that, but they are obviously doing something right down there.
    Geelong does also.. interesting because I thought the alliance with Willi had been a success so far. I think the culture of some of our first / second year players having to earn a spot in a successful side has actually bred a competitive attitude in our pups..

Could this be all because of the rule where only a certain number of AFL listed players being able to play in vfl-affilliate side (e.g if I recall Panos was relegated to 2nds a number of times last year due to this rule and not form)?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been hoping and wishing that we would have a stand alone team for years.

I really want this to happen.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I have been hoping and wishing that we would have a stand alone team for years.

I really want this to happen.
    It's no going to happen why we have massive debt.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    It's no going to happen why we have massive debt.
    Why are you talking like the kid off the porridge commercial?

"That's NOOOO how you make porridge..........."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I think the Williamstown alignment has worked well for us, though who wouldn't like to see Bulldog colours at the WO again?*

*Assuming WO is up to VFL standard - I imagine it is
    Standard yes but you have to make a lot of changes to host games there.

There is no fencing, no public facilities, it's just not set up to host games anymore (unless they are for free). I'm also not sure if there are opposition change rooms at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elephant_man View Post
    Geelong does also.. interesting because I thought the alliance with Willi had been a success so far. I think the culture of some of our first / second year players having to earn a spot in a successful side has actually bred a competitive attitude in our pups..

Could this be all because of the rule where only a certain number of AFL listed players being able to play in vfl-affilliate side (e.g if I recall Panos was relegated to 2nds a number of times last year due to this rule and not form)?
    Ultimately the competition is for the AFL side -- thats not going to change. Im sure young players would benefit from playing reserves grade footy rather than being relegated to willi 2nds. Become used to the habits of their teammates, etc... Im sure it would be beneficial to the Dogs to field their own side

The only counter argument for me is it bad for the standard of victorian footy as a whole (the VFL) ? Probably.

But is that the Bulldogs concern? Some clubs already have reserves teams, and the AFL itself has come out and said 'if you can afford it, do what you want', so I dont see why the responsibility for the standard of the VFL has to fall at the feet of random individual AFL clubs like us.

Post Thanks / Like

Has the limit on the number of AFL listed players that can play for a VFL side been removed?

Recently someone, they know who they are but I can't remember the name, was telling me that the AFL had organised this to head off the stand alone push.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the SANFL or WAFL — both quality comps that do not rely on AFL-listed players. Sure it's tough on the VFL having ten AFL teams here to snatch away all the talent, but I'd put it more down to administration and the like rather than player talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Has the limit on the number of AFL listed players that can play for a VFL side been removed?

Recently someone, they know who they are but I can't remember the name, was telling me that the AFL had organised this to head off the stand alone push.
    Yes, the 12-10 player rule has been removed, which means that VFL sides can field as many AFL listed players as they would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Take a look at the SANFL or WAFL — both quality comps that do not rely on AFL-listed players. Sure it's tough on the VFL having ten AFL teams here to snatch away all the talent, but I'd put it more down to administration and the like rather than player talent.
    The VFL team team beat the WAFL team last year by 80 points, and that doesn't count the fact that 10 clubs worth of AFL listed players were not selected compared to two. The standard of the VFL is continually underrated
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    The news over here is that both the Dockers and Eagles are pushing the WAFL for stand alone teams as well.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Issue of de jour.

A few years ago we had a run of non-Victorian sides winning premierships and every journo in the country was screaming about the demise of Victorian clubs and allowances had to be made.

Clubs with stand-alone reserves have won 3 of the last 4 premierships so the over-reactions begin.