Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mikes Top 50

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mikes Top 50

Given that it's a predictive list, not too bad. But Buddy at no. 1? Big call, IMO. Will be thrilled if Higgins and Griff back his call of them.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Graham Cornes and Stephen Rowe on 5AA were pretty disappointed no Crows player made it

Overall I think it's not a bad list. He's obviously expecting Hawthorn to have a good year, and must rate us relatively highly too because we feature much more than we have in previous years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Given that it's a predictive list, not too bad. But Buddy at no. 1? Big call, IMO. Will be thrilled if Higgins and Griff back his call of them.
    I'm leaning towards Hawthorn finishing top 2. If that's the case Buddy will be at least top 5 and Burgoyne will probably have had a season that rates him close to top 20.
    I'd be astounded if Higgins is the 30th best player in the league by the end of the year especially given he's been injured for as much time as he's been on the ground in his career.
    Thought Morris was a touch lucky. Don't get me wrong, I idolise what he does defensively but he doesn't impact games going the other way enough to make him top 50.
    Won't be at all surprised to see J. Riewoldt struggle a bit more this year.
    Oh yeah, Kade Simpson on the unlucky to miss out, really?
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm leaning towards Hawthorn finishing top 2.
    You have to say that or youre in the dog house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Mumford at 39...is he even going to lead the ruck for Sydney? Is that definite?
    If Mumford is at 39, how does Cox miss out (given he is rumoured to be flying this pre-season)?

It's easy to criticise him but I guess the task is near impossible, especially this first list which is crystal ball gazing.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Is Sandilands really a better player than these?

7. DANE SWAN
    8. LUKE HODGE
    9. JOEL SELWOOD
    10. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
    11. ADAM COONEY
    12. JONATHAN BROWN
    13. MATTHEW PAVLICH
    14. PAUL CHAPMAN
    15. ADAM GOODES
    16. JIMMY BARTEL
    17. CYRIL RIOLI
    18. LENNY HAYES
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Yes...

I think the fact that he's clearly the number one ruckman in the game is partially behind such a high rating, but I think he's a good enough player to deserve it.
    I guess another way to ask this question was: "If you were starting a team off if 2011 and have all these players to choose one from would you be selecting Sandilands?" Although he's probably the #1 ruckman surely you be taking a Swan or Selwood?

On a side note I'm glad that Dale Morris is getting noticed. Even though high in the list, I fell he is a underated player in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Would definately put Lake & Morris higher in the list. ??? Buddy. Good player but #1. I can't agree on that.
    Just ask the umpires who gave Judd the brownlow last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Would definately put Lake & Morris higher in the list. ??? Buddy. Good player but #1. I can't agree on that.
    Just ask the umpires who gave Judd the brownlow last year.
    I'd argue the Brownlow is almost the worst indicator of the best player in the league. It's rarely the best player of the year who wins it.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand his justification of Scarlett higher than Lake if he is actually predicting the season ahead rather than past performances. Is Scarlett at 32 this year suddenly going to turn around 2 years of indifferent form and fitness to produce another career best year that is going to be better than Lake who's in his prime?

I don't care about his list I just found that one baffling.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't understand his justification of Scarlett higher than Lake if he is actually predicting the season ahead rather than past performances. Is Scarlett at 32 this year suddenly going to turn around 2 years of indifferent form and fitness to produce another career best year that is going to be better than Lake who's in his prime?

I don't care about his list I just found that one baffling.
    Too true.
    The only way Scarlett would get ahead of Lake would be if Brian has a injury riddled season. And lets all try not to imagine that senario.

La la la la la...... Happy thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope and pray that Higgins can live up to this billing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I guess another way to ask this question was: "If you were starting a team off if 2011 and have all these players to choose one from would you be selecting Sandilands?" Although he's probably the #1 ruckman surely you be taking a Swan or Selwood?
    Not me.

I would take a player who is clearly the best at his position ahead of others who are just in a group of high quality mids. I would happily allow others to pick Swan and Selwood and 'settle' for Cooney, or Bartel, or Pendlebury, or Ablett, or whomever as a mid. Sandilands is a freaking monster though and even the next rung of ruckman (Jolly, Jamar, Hudson etc) cannot go with him when he is playing well.

My issue with Sandilands is that he has barely trained or played this pre-season and struggled with injury late last year...if it is a predictive article then on what basis is he projected so high? For example, if Higgins is in the top 50 based on his pre-season / pre-season form, how does Sandilands hold such a high spot under the same criteria?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.