Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brodie Moles sets his own challenges

* Jay Clark
    * March 16, 2011 12:00AM

Brodie Moles knows life in the Western Bulldogs' midfield this year will be balanced on a knife edge.

The doomsayers have been quick to write off their flag hopes, claiming the window has shut. But internally, optimism surrounding the increased depth of the midfield is at a new high.

For Moles, who was a mature-age revelation playing 13 games in his first year last season, it's daunting and exciting. New acquisitions mean winning a spot in the engine room will be even tougher.

"Take guys like Mitch Wallis and 'Libba' (Tom Liberatore), they're pretty much ready-made players," Moles said.

Click here for the rest of the rest article

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brodie Moles sets his own challenges

Moles is a bit of a forgotten man at least in my mind. Will be interesting to see if he can settle himself in the 21+1. He showed some good signs last season that he's got a level or 2 further to go, hopefully he can take those steps.

I know he's pretty small, but could he play off a hbf if some others don't kick into gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I know he's pretty small, but could he play off a hbf if some others don't kick into gear?
    Personally, if he did I think he'd murder bottom 8 sides and struggle against sides who put pressure on. His disposal can suffer quite badly in traffic, but he can use it and his motor is good; he isn't slow either.

I'd like him to play more of an outside role, especially when you look at our list balance and see how many inside mids we have.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I could see him being used in a defensive/small forward role. He's quite handy around the goals.

Problem is we have too many of his type of player on the list and unless somebody breaks down I can't really see him getting a clear run ahead of some other guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    I could see him being used in a defensive/small forward role. He's quite handy around the goals.

Problem is we have too many of his type of player on the list and unless somebody breaks down I can't really see him getting a clear run ahead of some other guys.
    If this is the case wouldn't it be better to play him in a role where we have a deficiency?

Post Thanks / Like

All the above posts are true.
    Brodie is a good player,not exciting but good, with our depth in midfield players the HBF or HFF may be the next option

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Personally, if he did I think he'd murder bottom 8 sides and struggle against sides who put pressure on. His disposal can suffer quite badly in traffic, but he can use it and his motor is good; he isn't slow either.

I'd like him to play more of an outside role, especially when you look at our list balance and see how many inside mids we have.
    I understand what you're saying, but looking at this year in isolation is his disposal under pressure likely to be much worse than Hargrave's (bomb it long and high) or Gilbee's (50-50 where it will go)? Plus he's probably more likely to be able to shut down a direct opponent better than Gilbee this year it seems.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but looking at this year in isolation is his disposal under pressure likely to be much worse than Hargrave's (bomb it long and high) or Gilbee's (50-50 where it will go)? Plus he's probably more likely to be able to shut down a direct opponent better than Gilbee this year it seems.
    His disposal seems to be more of a mental thing rather than a technique issue so it could be a possibility - once he spends more time at AFL level will his temperament improve?
    He certainly isn't anywhere near the level of elite ball user but few options that we have are.

It seems all the HBF options we have present a trade off between defensive ability & rebounding ability.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    His disposal seems to be more of a mental thing rather than a technique issue so it could be a possibility - once he spends more time at AFL level will his temperament improve?
    He certainly isn't anywhere near the level of elite ball user but few options that we have are.

It seems all the HBF options we have present a trade off between defensive ability & rebounding ability.
    I think it probably would, but you can't say for sure. Other teams, in particular Collingwood and St Kilda avoid the conundrum between attack and defence by having their best rebounder as a loose man in defence, we don't seem to want to do that, we prefer to have our loose player through the midfield, so it puts the pressure on our creative defenders to be strong defensively too. It makes it harder to find the right player.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the above Brodie tends to torch the bottom 8 needs to step up against the big boys. Not alone in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Agree with the above Brodie tends to torch the bottom 8 needs to step up against the big boys. Not alone in that regard.
    Sounds like an Eagleton clone.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think some posters here actually read the article very well at all. He says he realises how hard he has to work to secure a place in the team and he has set high goals to improve his game.

I get the impression he is aiming to step up another level from last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Great that Brodie is prepared to step up to the plate, given there will be more competition for team spots this year! I hope he goes well - like the way he plays, although his disposal sometimes lets him down (but as someone else has already posted, he is not the only one!)

Post Thanks / Like

All these posts remind me so much of Matty Boyd in his early days. There were comments about his pace, his disposal, and how we'd never win a flag with him in the team (honest!).

Not sure that Brodie is yet as good as Boydy has become, but if Boyd's hard work is any example, that's what it will take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    All these posts remind me so much of Matty Boyd in his early days. There were comments about his pace, his disposal, and how we'd never win a flag with him in the team (honest!).
    This is still true isn't it or am I still too drunk from the celebrations to remember??