Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Nixon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ricky Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Papers today reporting he is selling out - will earn a pretty penny managing 46 players so the price would be enough to live comfortably.
    Although Ricky Nixon is not the sole entity in Flying Start, the businesses only true sale-able commodity in respect of player management is its good will.

With or without Ricky, moving forward this portion of the business is now virtually worthless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    With or without Ricky, moving forward this portion of the business is now virtually worthless.
    Is it? I understood that if you were signed to the agency, you were signed to that corporate entity, not the director running it. Just speculating.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Is it? I understood that if you were signed to the agency, you were signed to that corporate entity, not the director running it. Just speculating.
    Whilst Flying Start is the business, all the good will and vast majority of the IP that the business has, has been developed and is associated with Ricky.

Playing devils advocate, lets say I bought the business off Ricky and retained all current staff. Could I expect to hold or gain market share of the available player contracts at Pre Nixon Scandal percentages?.

IMHO I don't think so.

May be a different story if Liam Pickering bought the company, however I cannot see any value in an existing agent buying the company for anything other than a sum equal to or less than projected current contract earnings. If a player didn't sign with Liam beforehand, tI am sure that fact that he has bought the company would not be a determining factor on who they renew with going forward.

I am also just speculating, but based on the above I think the Business is worth nothing more than the projected revenue on existing contracts(less projected management expenses), and therefore there is next to no value associated to the Good Will which would normally be the vast majority of the businesses value. I think that is the case regardless of whether Ricky stays or goes from the business

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    I am also just speculating, but based on the above I think the Business is worth nothing more than the projected revenue on existing contracts(less projected management expenses), and therefore there is next to no value associated to the Good Will which would normally be the vast majority of the businesses value. I think that is the case regardless of whether Ricky stays or goes from the business
    I'm only speculating too so I'm certainly not going to pretend I know the inner workings of the business.
    It may depend on whether Ricky signed all 46 players/coaches himself of has junior agents doing the work. There could be clauses that restrict players from moving to other agents as well for a set period of time, although AFL-related contracts tend to be a bit hit or miss (remembering Fev's contract with Brisbane didn't have behavioral clauses in it ).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's just been announced he's been suspended for two years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226026922800
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Kim Duthie has tweeted "2 Years.. Not good enough. Life is more appropriate"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Did Nixon actually say anything? AFLPA and AFL definetely wanted for him to fall on his own sword.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Did Nixon actually say anything? AFLPA and AFL definetely wanted for him to fall on his own sword.
    Just heard a bit of a statement he released, said he thought the penalty was excessive, was not surprised but very disappointed, and that he was meeting with legal reps to consider whether to appeal.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Just heard a bit of a statement he released, said he thought the penalty was excessive, was not surprised but very disappointed, and that he was meeting with legal reps to consider whether to appeal.
    Wonder if he will threaten to release his own videos and pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's just been announced he's been suspended for two years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226026922800

2 years is insufficient however, the AFL can put steps in place which will make it a far longer ban.

Personally I think a 5 year ban would have been a more reasonable starting point.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    2 years is insufficient however, the AFL can put steps in place which will make it a far longer ban.

Personally I think a 5 year ban would have been a more reasonable starting point.
    If it clears out all his clients and the stigma is attatched you would think it would be a long, long way back from there. But I agree 2 years probably still isn't sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally believe the length of the ban is almost irrelevant. I hate it because it is such a cliché lately but his "Brand" is already dead, regardless of whether he was suspended for 6 months or 10 years.

As good a player manager as he is/was, he and flying start are going to struggle to secure any new clients and their main battle will be to renew their existing clients.

Ricky now need's to diversify to survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Being out of the market for two years from a business point of view may as well be a 5 year ban, no one will joint his firm, and when he's back on the market he'll be out of touch. Basically it's a life sentence.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

SOME of the biggest names in AFL have begun the search for a new agent after last night's sacking of Ricky Nixon.

Nick Riewoldt, Jack Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo and Dustin Martin are among 46 clients affected by the two-year ban for his involvement with "the St Kilda schoolgirl".

Carlton coach Brett Ratten and Rodney Eade at the Western Bulldogs are expected to seek new management, even though the sanction imposed on Nixon does not extend to coaches.
    And the ever classy Nixon?

Lawyer Rod Lamplugh said Nixon's submission was directed at the "flawed process" followed by the board.

"There was no apology and no admissions," he said.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226027768249

Post Thanks / Like

Ricky Nixon making no apologies and no admissions is likely more relevant to criminal charges against him rather than a lack of class, but I do agree with the sentiment. No guts at all.