Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Werribee vs Frankston

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If he is still eligible for the Rookie List in 2008 then I think we should keep him though - he is a good depth player and could plug a gap for a few weeks if we experience a few injuries.
    I suppose the real question is would he be willing to spend another season on the rookie list without some sort of guarantee that he was at least a good chance to be promoted if a spot opened up.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

As to whether Morgan is/ or was better than Pask its just to hard to know given Morgans terrible run with injuries. For my money Pask hasn't kicked on in the second half of this season the way I had hoped he might.
    If he could have stayed injury free then Morgan would have been maintained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Re Pask, IIRC Dogtown once posted "You can't teach speed".
    Don't tell Morris, who was too slow to be drafted as a youngster. He spend 3-4 years working on his pace, and is now one of the quickest in our side.

Boyd is another, although his top pace hasn't lifted a large amount, he has really worked on his acceleration which can be worked on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Don't tell Morris, who was too slow to be drafted as a youngster. He spend 3-4 years working on his pace, and is now one of the quickest in our side.

Boyd is another, although his top pace hasn't lifted a large amount, he has really worked on his acceleration which can be worked on.
    Getting sprints coaching isn't a bad idea for the guys with average pace. A 10% improvement can make the world of difference. Morris proves that if you have the pace plus the dedication you can work your way onto a senior list.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the Bees, are they playing Port this weekend? If so, it should be a cracker of a game and a full house.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dont recall the "cant teach speed" comment Rot but I stand to be corrected. The transformation of a guy like Boyd pretty much ends that theory anyway. He is a different body type to the guy who originally came onto our rookie list. He is toned up and has an extra yard in his first few steps. Another example of a guy who added speed to his game is Campbell Brown. Alot of people didn't think he would get drafted because of a lack of pace.

In reality I think there is certainly a limit to how much quicker you can make someone. The other intangible is whether players know how to use that pace on a footy field. Some players are quick but you would never know it due to the way they play. Cooney for example probably plays in a way that makes him look quicker than he actually is. I wouldn't think Cooney would test in the top 5 over 100 metres at the club but his first few steps are very quick and his first instinct when he gets the ball is to take them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Dont recall the "cant teach speed" comment Rot but I stand to be corrected.
    Sorry about that - must have been someone else. I thought it was a good quote, whoever posted it.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Dont recall the "cant teach speed" comment Rot but I stand to be corrected. The transformation of a guy like Boyd pretty much ends that theory anyway. He is a different body type to the guy who originally came onto our rookie list. He is toned up and has an extra yard in his first few steps. Another example of a guy who added speed to his game is Campbell Brown. Alot of people didn't think he would get drafted because of a lack of pace.

In reality I think there is certainly a limit to how much quicker you can make someone. The other intangible is whether players know how to use that pace on a footy field. Some players are quick but you would never know it due to the way they play. Cooney for example probably plays in a way that makes him look quicker than he actually is. I wouldn't think Cooney would test in the top 5 over 100 metres at the club but his first few steps are very quick and his first instinct when he gets the ball is to take them on.
    I remember getting a book called "Blues, Blinders and Ball-Bursters" as a present in the early 90's, and in it several high profile players gave tips to up and coming youngsters as to how they could improve their games.

One that Paul Salmon wrote was that bigger players would get a lot out of sprint training with an athletics coach.

Speed is something that cannot be taught. Sprinting certainly can.