Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Footscray End' @ Etihad

Peter Hanlon - The Age - 24 March

Former Bulldog Brad Johnson promotes Etihad Stadium’s ‘Footscray End’.

MINDFUL that there's no place like home, the Western Bulldogs will send a makeover team into Etihad Stadium this year, inviting fans to pack the ''Footscray End'' of the ground and make enough noise to raise the roof.

In an initiative aimed at creating a home-ground experience that will bring a sense of the Bulldogs' Whitten Oval history to a venue the club believes will play host to a successful future, the loudest nod to the past will be made by the Hyde Street Band, the brass outfit synonymous with football at the old Western Oval.

The band will take up temporary residence in the forward pocket at the Lockett End, which will be rebadged the ''Footscray End'' for Bulldogs home games.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Footscray End' @ Etihad

More pics here.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty cool.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's pretty cool.
    Yeah, nice work. Be interesting to see if it takes off.
    I've been more than happy to pot some of the club's marketing efforts in the past but a big slap on the back for this one.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The Hyde Street Band is back! Yeah, that brings back good memories! I look forward to the unveiling - should be great....

Post Thanks / Like

To make it truly authentic, at half time the cheer squad should be allowed to carry a blanket around the boundary and get coins piffed at them.

Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    To make it truly authentic, at half time the cheer squad should be allowed to carry a blanket around the boundary and get coins piffed at them.

I'm hearing you Comrade - and to take it another step further, the gentlemen with the hessian bag of peanuts (although it is my understanding he has gone to his maker - RIP)!

Post Thanks / Like

If the club wants to really build up a big Footscray atmosphere, they should have thought about giving every kid a flag with their membership ticket. Imgaine 8000 to 10,000 flags waving when we kick a goal.

The Club should seriously look at this anyway and just give kids flags. Better than those stupid towels from a few years ago. Cost can be covered through a sposors logo - talk to Mission to chuck in another 30k.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If the club wants to really build up a big Footscray atmosphere, they should have thought about giving every kid a flag with their membership ticket. Imgaine 8000 to 10,000 flags waving when we kick a goal.
    Every member that has a reserved seat in the Footscray End has been given thundersticks.

I better take my ear plugs.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Every member that has a reserved seat in the Footscray End has been given thundersticks.

I better take my ear plugs.
    Yep, I got my thunder sticks!!

Looking forward to having a good look at all the player banners next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very good idea - am I right that it cost a bit extra membership wise to sit there, or is it available to GA members also?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    This is a very good idea - am I right that it cost a bit extra membership wise to sit there, or is it available to GA members also?
    It is a reserve seat area. It used to be a Bronze reserve seat area, and now it is called the Footscray End. The cost is $275, so $95 on top of the standard $180 GA Membership.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Bugger. One of my kids was in the Hyde st band until last year but he's gone onto high school now. My youngest is still there and I coud see them in the band room practising every night after school when I was picking her up. The penny should have dropped then.

I wonder if they need parents to go along and help out with supervision? I must ask tonight.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I've had a reserved seat (Bronze) in Aisle 28 for the past 5 or so years. Although it's now called The Footscray End it didn't cost me any more than it usually does. And I got thunder sticks this year!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God I can run and hide in the Sponsors room when the Band and Thunder Sticks start up..........Only kidding