Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing and unacceptable: Eade

By Nick Bowen

THE Western Bulldogs’ thrashing at the hands of Essendon on Sunday had nothing to do with new-age forward presses but everything to do with the age-old first principle of football, according to coach Rodney Eade.

Speaking after his side went down to the Bombers by 55 points at Etihad Stadium, Eade downplayed the affect Essendon’s defensive pressure had on the result, saying his side’s inability to win the ball had been the biggest factor.

"The more the game changes the more it stays the same doesn’t it? You’ve just to win the footy, that’s the first premise," Eade said.

"We just didn’t win enough of the ball. It doesn’t matter about how you use it or what decisions we made. We didn’t get enough of it."

Eade’s comments were backed up by the statistics - the Bombers had almost 100 more possessions than the Bulldogs over the course of the match, racking up 413 disposals to 317.

Eade did pay tribute to Essendon’s pressure and work-rate, acknowledging it had outperformed his side in both areas.

"It was extremely disappointing and, I think to be honest, unacceptable," he said.

"It (wasn’t up to) the standards we’ve set for the past few years. It’s not up to what we expect."

Given the dominance of Essendon’s midfield, Eade said he thought his defensive six had been "OK", praising first-game player Lukas Markovic for his game on Michael Hurley, who he kept to two goals despite the Bombers peppering the ball inside their forward 50
    71 times for the match, and Brennan Stack.

"Full credit to them they really competed well and hung in there," he said.

Eade also found positives in the performances of another first-game player Tom Liberatore - the son of club great Tony - emerging players Callan Ward and Jarrad Grant, and Josh Hill.

Of his senior players, Eade said Robert Murphy was the only one who’d been "OK".

The Bulldogs coach was also clearly still coming to terms with the new interchange rule.

He acknowledged playing a sole ruckman, Ben Hudson, had been a mistake, with Essendon’s ruck duo David Hille and Patrick Ryder influential in the ruck, around the ground and up forward.

Eade also said he had considered sending his substitute player, Justin Sherman, onto the ground at the start of the third quarter, in an attempt to stem the momentum Essendon had built in its six-goal-to-one second quarter.

But he had delayed doing so until the 10-minute mark, fearful an injury would have left his side a player down on the interchange bench.

The Bulldogs did suffer an injury but it occurred late in the match when defender Easton Wood went off with an ankle injury that, Eade said, was likely to sideline him for six to eight weeks.

Eade conceded his side’s round one exit from the NAB Cup in round one had denied it the intense match practice Essendon had gained in making the Grand Final of the pre-season competition, but stressed that was no excuse for its lacklustre performance.

As disappointing as the loss was, Eade was adamant it would not affect team morale. He also said All-Australian defender Brian Lake, who played for Williamstown in the VFL on Friday, and Lindsay Gilbee could return in time for next week’s game against the Brisbane Lions.
    for westernbulldogs.com.au
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Disappointing and unacceptable: Eade

I'm going to have to sit through the replay to see what Stack did that was worthy of a mention. On second thought, I don't think I can put myself through it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm going to have to sit through the replay to see what Stack did that was worthy of a mention. On second thought, I don't think I can put myself through it.
    AP6 I thought Stacky performed, well maybe not performed, but he did show a bit more gutso than about 16 others.
    Marcovic, I thought did a good job for his 1st hit out, and an get better.
    Stacky was better than he ever has been (obviously wants a contract renewal)
    Hill showed some promise (again wants that contract,seeing no one wanted him)
    Libba, oh the things to come from him (will he match dad and get a Brownlow?)

Sorry.
    Too disapointed to work out who else was worthwhile talking about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Stack reminded me alot of the way Harbrow played when he was first moved into the backline. He tried very hard at everything, looked a little lost but didn't disgrace himself (especially when you consider the number of inside 50s they had).

(if I remember correctly) Harbrow did this in a win and thus garnering praise from supporters, while unfortunately Stack did this in a 50 point loss...poor Stacky.

Post Thanks / Like

When coaches use words like disappointing and unacceptable to describe a performance you would normally expect some wholesale changes at the selection table but outside of injured players I'm not expecting more than one or two.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I do not want Lake and Gilbee to play for the sake of change, to bring back injured players before their ready at this early stage of the season would reek of panic. Leave the backline alone , it performed OK, make the changes in the midfield and forwards. The most obvious is Roughhead on the bench, I like Minson but Roughhead needs a run first. The second most obvious is Skinner as the Sub, as an impact player probably one of the best we have, yes his fitness isn't quite there but as the Sub he could be used for the last half. The third most obvious is Addison to the FP, the best defensive forward we have. As to the midfield well I,m going to let Rocket sort that mess out, I just hope the gameplan against the Lions is based on dominating the centre corridor and running the ball into the 50 to either kick the goal or short pass it to a leading player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    When coaches use words like disappointing and unacceptable to describe a performance you would normally expect some wholesale changes at the selection table but outside of injured players I'm not expecting more than one or two.
    Even after just one game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    AP6 I thought Stacky performed, well maybe not performed, but he did show a bit more gutso than about 16 others.
    Marcovic, I thought did a good job for his 1st hit out, and an get better.
    Stacky was better than he ever has been (obviously wants a contract renewal)
    Hill showed some promise (again wants that contract,seeing no one wanted him)
    Libba, oh the things to come from him (will he match dad and get a Brownlow?)

Sorry.
    Too disapointed to work out who else was worthwhile talking about
    This. Awesome post Schnook, said exactly what I wanted to say last night — but banned myself from Woof for the evening

Quote Originally Posted by West-Dog View Post
    I do not want Lake and Gilbee to play for the sake of change, to bring back injured players before their ready at this early stage of the season would reek of panic. Leave the backline alone , it performed OK, make the changes in the midfield and forwards. The most obvious is Roughhead on the bench, I like Minson but Roughhead needs a run first. The second most obvious is Skinner as the Sub, as an impact player probably one of the best we have, yes his fitness isn't quite there but as the Sub he could be used for the last half. The third most obvious is Addison to the FP, the best defensive forward we have. As to the midfield well I,m going to let Rocket sort that mess out, I just hope the gameplan against the Lions is based on dominating the centre corridor and running the ball into the 50 to either kick the goal or short pass it to a leading player

Addison should be looked at for sure, have Addison and Skinner swapping out as subs for the match and we should do alright. Leave Sherman in for the whole game, by the time he found his feet the siren blew.

My thoughts on the fiasco? It's only Round 1. Would've been nice to post a win, and definitely upset at the extent of the carnage yesterday, but I'm not freaking out yet.

Was hard explaining to my boys — their soon-to-be-stepfather is a Bomber and has been whispering in their ears — but they're still onboard and keen Doggies. For now. It's hard brainwashing kids sometimes…

My little girl sung me the song and cheered me right up, so have moved past it now and look forward to demolishing Brisso.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 29-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Stack reminded me alot of the way Harbrow played when he was first moved into the backline. He tried very hard at everything, looked a little lost but didn't disgrace himself (especially when you consider the number of inside 50s they had).

(if I remember correctly) Harbrow did this in a win and thus garnering praise from supporters, while unfortunately Stack did this in a 50 point loss...poor Stacky.
    If he had of been able to keep his feet he would have been much better. It was a criticism of Tim Callan too - does everything in his power to make a contest, just slips over at the wrong time.

Stack has earned another game on the back of that effort.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    This. Awesome post Mark, said exactly what I wanted to say last night — but banned myself from Woof for the evening

Uuumm WHo's Mark, I'm Shnookie . Maybe should ban myself too

Addison should be looked at for sure, have Addison and Skinner swapping out as subs for the match and we should do alright. Leave Sherman in for the whole game, by the time he found his feet the siren blew.

My thoughts on the fiasco? It's only Round 1. Would've been nice to post a win, and definitely upset at the extent of the carnage yesterday, but I'm not freaking out yet.

Was hard explaining to my boys — their soon-to-be-stepfather is a Bomber and has been whispering in their ears — but they're still onboard and keen Doggies. For now. It's hard brainwashing kids sometimes…

My little girl sung me the song and cheered me right up, so have moved past it now and look forward to demolishing Brisso.
    Shoot the Step dad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yes. If he just said the game plan was flawed then it would more around covering injuries but he has lifted expectations. I would be surprised if it's more than one or two non injury changes but the angst in his voice after the game could have suggested otherwise.

We all know that we are not prone to knee-jerk changes but if players aren't performing to expectations then I think a lot of supporters would want the match committee to drop players who didn't measure up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We all know that we are not prone to knee-jerk changes but if players aren't performing to expectations then I think a lot of supporters would want the match committee to drop players who didn't measure up.
    Unfortunately G you could have left the words knee-jerk out and it would still be correct. We never make necessary changes either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Top sides generally don't get well beaten without a fight (like we did) not many leaders stood up when things were going against us. I hope Griffen, Ward, Higgins, Grant, Roughy Williams have breakout seasons.
    Last edited by Desipura; 28-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If he had of been able to keep his feet he would have been much better. It was a criticism of Tim Callan too - does everything in his power to make a contest, just slips over at the wrong time.

Stack has earned another game on the back of that effort.
    If I remember correctly Harbrow stuggled early in this area as well, especially when playing on good small forwards like Davis and Stokes. So with all things considered I'd be prepared to give Stack a few more games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Top sides generally don't get well beaten without a fight (like we did) not many leaders stood up when things were going against us. I hope Griffen, Ward, Higgins, Grant, Roughy Williams have breakout seasons.
    Exactly. This is what really concerns me. What the hell is going on?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus