Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk gameplan and tactics

There was a tactical game plan used by Grant Thomas at St Kilda . All the players used triangle's to move the ball, the player with the ball formed the point of the triangle and two players moved in to support by forming the other two points, if say the player was on the boundary side of the centre square they could form the triangle by being on the boundary side, the middle of the ground, forward or behind. In each formation the player had options to move the ball, if the players were behind, the ball carrier could stop and handpass to one side of the triangle as the support player was running past, the former point of the triangle could block an opposition player chasing then run to support the new point of the triangle. If the players were on the boundary side , the ball carrier could kick a short pass then run forward with the other player to reform the triangle or if the the ball was kicked long to a leading player reform as a defensive triangle in case the ball was turned over. And the combinations go on and on.

I really liked watching it when it worked because it was simple but effective but the discipline and quick decisions needed to keep the system going made it a little fragile at times , fatigue and injury also meant they had weak links as the ball moved up the ground. I,m sure that Grant wanted a tactical system that had total ball support , at any time a player with the ball knew he had two players in support. The big problem for him was too often the players formed the triangle by being behind the point of the triangle which is why we saw the ball being passed backwards so often.

The Bulldog's have a faster midfield and fitter players, it would be interesting seeing how we could adapt the same tactic , I like the system of ball support and movement and I believe it's still relevant

Last edited by LostDoggy; 03-04-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West-Dog View Post
    There was a tactical game plan used by Grant at St Kilda
    Grant? Grant Thomas?

Happy with the triangles analogy, but that is a David Wheadon concept and was - along with Bomber's 3-layer decision making - the key to the recent Geelong system.

Couple of Wheadon books have talked about this and Thomas might have used it, but the triangles concept is David Wheadon 101.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Grant? Grant Thomas?

Happy with the triangles analogy, but that is a David Wheadon concept and was - along with Bomber's 3-layer decision making - the key to the recent Geelong system.

Couple of Wheadon books have talked about this and Thomas might have used it, but the triangles concept is David Wheadon 101.
    I left his last name out for some reason , I never really new if it was Grant Thomas's idea or not or a fusion of idea's but if it's David Wheadon's concept I,ll tip my hat in his direction, thanks for that

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt get to see the game -- are we still kicking it out long to the boundary?

Did we have more players on the outside of the stoppages this time?